Friday, April 01, 2011

Mysteries

We're just in from runnin' the day's errands and are all stocked up in anticipation of next week's big event, which is to say Round One (of two) in the cutting of the eyeball.  We have more beer than we can fit in our fridge (which isn't as much as you might think, if you've seen my fridge... and you have); lotsa coffee and Dr. Pepper; and food, even.  We stocked up more than usual, seein' as how we have trepidations about our ability to drive after Round One.  Bein' the perceptive sort I AM, I inquired about the disparity in vision I'll be experiencing post-surgery, seein' (heh) as how one eye will be corrected for distance vision but the other WON'T.  I was told most people just knock the eyepiece out of their glasses on the corrected side and carry on.  Well, that's all well and good, except for this:


There ain't no "knockin' out the right lens" on these frames.  That'll teach me to buy cool and trendy frames in future, won't it?  It's something of a mystery to me... and the kind folks at my eye-surgeon's office... as to how I'm gonna cope with driving and other stuff for the two weeks between surgeries.  The advice I got was "well, you'll be off-balance for a while."  Yeah, I guess I will.  But Hey!  People go thru life with one eye all the time, right?  My situation can't be THAT bad.

In other mysteries (automotive division), The Green Hornet's "check engine" light went out.  I didn't do a damned thing to Her Ladyship since the light went on... didn't even get gas.  Weird.

And now I'll have a Newcastle Brown Ale if you please, Barkeep.  I'll be on the verandah if ya need me. 

6 comments:

  1. One thing that can cause a CEL coming on for a relatively short period is moisture in the exhaust system. With the weather you had, this wouldn't be that far out there.

    If a problem is detected that will throw a CEL (Check Engine Light) and it clears - which isn't all that uncommon, after a number of starts or miles the light will go out.

    To solve your vision issue, you can always go Pirate! Just walk around going Arrrrrrrrrrgggggggg, and sporting a nice eye patch. Course the peg leg will be a little tough... or the hook... but it could be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Screw it, theory time: The check engine light could have come on for leaving the fuel door open, or something else minor. On board vehicle diagnostics have "drive cycles," different depending on the model of car. You probably met the criteria for your car's drive cycle after correcting (whether you realized it or not) whatever it was that set the light on in the first place.

    It's a thought.

    Good luck with the lopsided peepers. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a beautiful day here. Toby and I sat out in the barn (open door) working on our bicycles and drinking Dos Equis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Buck, Maybe using a patch on the bad eye would work. I had my eyes fixed about 15 years ago and at that time they did one eye at a time about 5 days apart. Worked good, except for reading I didn't need glasses for 12 years. About your car, most of the parts stores, AutoZone and such, have code scanners and will read your error codes for free. good luck with the eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wore 1 contact lens to correct for reading and left the other one 'naked' for distance for a couple of years. Be careful Buck, mono-vision really messes with your depth perception.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anon: It's been VERY dry here of late, with relative humidity in the single digits. But your theory is as good as any I've heard. I like the pirate ideer, too!

    Andy: Someone mentioned the gas cap not being fully tightened when I first wrote of this. I checked it: tight. So, who really knows?

    Lou: There was a time when Dos Equis Dark was my beer of choice. I still knock back one or two at the bar.

    Dan: Your patch ideer fits right in with Anon's pirate thing. I might do that.

    Deb: Yeah, I know about the depth perception thang. I'll only be doin' Mission Essential drivin'.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.