Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Good News

I had my first follow-up late yesterday afternoon and the news is uniformly good... exceptional, even.  My eye is clear and free from swelling, redness, and blood.  Better yet, my vision in the right eye has improved to 20/20, which my surgeon described as "exceptional this close after surgery."  I don't have any pain or discomfort beyond minor itching (expected) so I'll guardedly suggest that all's well.

My next surgery appointment is scheduled... two weeks from yesterday (Tuesday)... and I have my fingers crossed in hopes things continue as they've begun.

I'm thinkin' I'm going to be sleeping a lot more than usual for the next couple of days.  That said, I did watch a little of the Devils - Flightless Birds game on Versus this evening and was amazed at how much clearer and brighter things are now, even with only one good eye.  That fact leads me to believe I might have waited too long to have this stuff corrected, but that's the insidious nature of a slow decline: ya don't really notice it until things have gone all to Hell.  We'll soon be ALL better! 

14 comments:

  1. Bitchin'!!!!!!

    Seriously. Man, I'm so way happy for you. They tell me it's like a whole new world. Extremely happy for you...20/20 this quick?

    Dang...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news, Buck! How much longer will the patch stay on? Not to be insulting but the first thing I thought of was the original The Fly movie. Definitely NOT you but the patch. I'm guessing the recovery regimen includes copious amounts of beer? Get well soon doesn't seem to apply to a guy with 20/20 vision.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One operation and a whole new outlook on life - Amazing! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So far, so good! Your report is encouraging for the rest us who sooner or later will have to have this done. Like a walk in the park, huh!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. MissBirdlegs in AL06 April, 2011 07:24

    Great news, Buck! Here's hoping things continue in the same vein.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sooo... can you see Russia from YOUR house? lol

    Good news Buck. The itching has to be annoying though. Not sure I would have the control not to rub my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That fact leads me to believe I might have waited too long to have this stuff corrected, but that's the insidious nature of a slow decline...

    I thought I'd take a moment to hijack Buck's blog to remind everyone to get their eyes examined at least once per year. Glaucoma is the same way and The Oracle was diagnosed at age 40 with an aggressive form that was nearing the permanent-vision-loss arena; even though he went to the eye doc faithfully every 6 months (frequency prompted by bad family history in this area).

    And thank God we did that because if we only went once a year - he'd have been partially blind before the Glaucoma was diagnosed.

    I'm not impugning Buck's diligence in taking care of his own health - just pointing out that these kinds of diseases are indeed insidious and oftentimes it can be too late by the time you have it diagnosed.

    /off my soapbox now

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you ALL for the kind and wonderful comments!

    Anon1: The patch came off today; it was just a 24 hour thang. And we DID celebrate with a couple o' beers yesterday. The "no alcohol for 24 hours after" rule only applied to those who had been anesthetized... and that WASN'T me!

    Ed: The op ain't exactly a walk in the park; I hear some people need to be sedated because of severe anxiety. That wasn't me, though.

    Kris: Those were good words to the wise.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, Buck, we know you are exceptional. Glad the doc confirmed it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My Dad had to have an eye operation on the muscles behind the eye ball. To do that he had to have the eye removed from the socket. He was awake for it, but the muscles were paralized for it.

    He said it was the creepiest thing he ever went through, as he could still see out of the eye while it was down on his cheek.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Damn, Anon. That story creeped me out just for the readin'!

    Red: Thank ya Ma'am... you are SO kind!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Most excellent news! And I'm really happy you got to have a little quaff.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Moogie: Me, too, on the "happy" bit.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.