Friday, March 18, 2011

Plus ça change...

... plus c'est la même chose.  I've mentioned in passing that I'm reading Mark Twain's Autobiography, albeit reading slowly... very slowly... almost to a point where "reading at it" would be more accurate.  It's not that the book isn't entertaining (it is), or that the prose is inaccessible (it's not), or any of the myriad reasons one has for not plowing through a book in a couple o' sittings.  I did put Twain aside in favor of Clancy a while back, but that was when I was in the weeds of the academic notes.  We've since moved to Twain proper and the reading is easy.  But I'm a lot slower than I used to be, in almost any life-category you'd care to mention.  It is what it is.

We digress.  The post title refers to this lil excerpt I ran across yesterday:
We are discreet sheep; we wait to see how the drove is going, and then go with the drove. We have two opinions: one private, which we are afraid to express; and another one—the one we use—which we force ourselves to wear to please Mrs. Grundy, until habit makes us comfortable in it, and the custom of defending it presently makes us love it, adore it, and forget how pitifully we came by it.

Look at it in politics. Look at the candidates whom we loathe, one year, and are afraid to vote against the next; whom we cover with unimaginable filth, one year, and fall down on the public platform and worship, the next—and keep on doing it until the habitual shutting of our eyes to last year’s evidences brings us presently to a sincere and stupid belief in this year’s.

Look at the tyranny of party—at what is called party allegiance, party loyalty—a snare invented by designing men for selfish purposes—and which turns voters into chattels, slaves, rabbits; and all the while, their masters, and they themselves are shouting rubbish about liberty, independence, freedom of opinion, freedom of speech, honestly unconscious of the fantastic contradiction; and forgetting or ignoring that their fathers and the churches shouted the same blasphemies a generation earlier when they were closing their doors against the hunted slave, beating his handful of humane defenders with Bible-texts and billies, and pocketing the insults and licking the shoes of his Southern master. If we would learn what the human race really is, at bottom, we need only observe it in election times.
That bit o' wisdom was written at the turn of the 20th century... say around 1901, or thereabouts... in an unpublished article Twain wrote for The Atlantic, but published in its entirety in his memoirs.  There is a lot more in this vein and I could quote from the piece from now until the cows come home.  Twain was an Independent rather than a registered Republican or Democrat, and waxes eloquently about voting for the man rather than the party, claiming he never once voted a straight party ticket.  That's pretty good advice, no matter what era you live in.  But it's Twain's larger point about humanity's worst aspects being on display at election time that interests me.  I find it fascinating that the more things change, the more they remain the same.  It has been ever so.

The image comes from a generic Google image search.  I chose Twain with a cigar for obvious reasons, that being the only thing we have in common.

7 comments:

  1. The illustration of Twain is by the super cartoonist Rick Geary! Just so ya' know.

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I was reading this post, I was thinking about how some schools banned "Huckleberry Finn" making me wonder if they ever actually read the book. Yep, people think we have changed, but things are pretty much the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Twain's one of my favorites. He is definitely independent politically, but his view of humanity is, IMHO, basically a conservative one. Which is why I think, even though I liked him at the time, he made me a little uncomfortable back in the day when I was sucking on the liberal teat.

    His observations on political parties are right on the mark; the naked partisanship on display today is probably a logical result of having parties in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brad: Thank ya, Sir.

    Lou: I had exactly the same thought when the Huckleberry Finn flap broke.

    Dan: Twain can also be cynical... almost beyond belief... at times, too. But I agree with what he says 99% of the time.

    Your observation that political parties are born to be nasty is spot-on. I guess it's just human nature to demonize the opposition.

    ReplyDelete
  5. About the n-word thing. I went to school where there were no negros. It's not that we were segregated, but negros just didn't like to live in the country I guess.

    So we were basically safe to use the n-word in literature, with very little giggling.

    I remember reading Twain, but I did not enjoy him. His era and prose were too far removed for my enjoyment. Sadly, I have not picked his books up in old age either. I just don't want to read about that lifestyle.

    I did recently see a picture of his daughters though. They were really cute. I mean, I thought his kids would be rather homely like himself, given his ugly frame. I wonder how that happened. I was saddened to hear that only one of them lived to adult age.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of the most touching bits I've read in the memoirs so far is Twain's remembrance of his daughter Susy. She took ill and died of meningitis when the rest of the family was in England, passing when her mother was in mid-Atlantic on the way home to be at her daughter's bedside. Sad, indeed.

    As for Twain's works... they were required reading when I was in school in the '50s. I enjoyed them then; I'm enjoying his autobiography now. Books are cheap, Anon... pick it up and give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My little brother had meningitis. One day he just disappeared.

    After a week my parents bundled us up for a drive to the big city hospital. We brought some toys, put on masks, and were directed to a big window where the nurse gave the kids the toys. There must have been 10 kids in there at various stages of the disease.

    The next week we went back and there was just a few kids left. I just assumed they got better and left, but you know statistics.

    Little brother must have been badly affected by the disease, because he moved to silicon valley and still lives there in retirement. Poor bastard...

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.