Monday, March 07, 2011

How Strange

This:


That would be EIP translated into Turkish.  We had a visitor from Istanbul earlier today and said visitor was interested enough in our scribblings that he or she (a) spent a lil over 32 minutes with us and (b) took the time to translate EIP into Turkish.  Proof:


Once again: ain't technology grand?  Can you imagine being able to project our everyman thoughts two continents away as recently as ten years ago?  I can't and am thus amazed.  I'm no less amazed that someone in far-away Istanbul... a city I greatly admire and one in which I had some hella good times... would take the trouble to read me.  Small world, indeed.   

Hoşgeldiniz, benim Türk arkadaşım ... ve do geri gelecek. 

5 comments:

  1. Interesting. I knew you were big in Greece, but had no idea the Turks had signed on, too.

    WV: subjl. Is that Turkish? No, probably some Slavic tongue, or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing. Simply amazing. Did your Turkish reader do the translation himself or did he make use of google or some other internet device? Whichever it was, it made me think of something I heard somewhere along the way about translations: they're like women; the unfaithful ones (to the original) are stunningly beautiful--the faithful ones are pug ugly. So, in this case, I wish for you an ugly, but faithful translation into Turkish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One thing to think about (Not being paranoid; Aware) Ace of Spades had a serious denial of service attack yesterday. It wiped out comments.

    Your blog may have been reconnoitered http://www.bing.com/Dictionary/search?q=reconnoiter&FORM=DTPDIA

    Nice to be noticed and Totally cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The attack originated in Turkey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew you were big in Greece, but had no idea the Turks had signed on, too.

    Are ya pullin' my leg? Turkish visitors out number Greeks by over 2:1 (currently 467:198).

    Did your Turkish reader do the translation himself or did he make use of google or some other internet device?

    He used Google translate, according to Site Meter, Dan. I use that from time to time as well, especially for Chinese and Russian aviation sites. And yeah, machine translation gets ya close... but that's about it. It can be funny as hell sometimes, too.

    Darryl: I don't think I have to worry about a DOS attack. Ace gets more traffic in an hour than I get in a month.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.