Wednesday, February 02, 2011

This Is More Fun Than I Want

I'm about to declare this to be the worst winter in P-Ville, ever.  I know it beats anything I've seen in the eight years I've been here... including a record low temp for yesterday's date, to wit:


There's not much doubt we'll set another record for February 1, too.  This is what the conditions were at 2135 this evening:


I did a screen cap at that time because that's when the power came back on... after a three hour outage.  It was about five degrees when we lost power, with winds in the 30 mph range.  Even well-insulated buildings cool off pretty quickly in those conditions.  I was wonderin' if the power was ever gonna come back about midway into the second hour.

The power outage also means I'll have to mosey over to El Casa Móvil De Pennington sometime tomorrow to reset the furnace.  I'm not looking forward to that lil adventure, believe me, and I'm a lil bit apprehensive about what I'll find.  The ol' RV has never spent a sub-zero night without heat before; The Deity At Hand only knows what interesting things I'll find.  But Hey!  I need to fetch more beer and cigars, anyway.  I've already consumed what I thought was gonna be a three-day supply of both.

As I said in the title: this is more fun than I wanna be havin'. 

9 comments:

  1. Good grief, that's the umpteenth power outage you've had this winter. Get with the program Portales! I'm in total agreeance with you on this sub arctic cold snap. I hates it. Stay warm Mr. P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lord I was Born a Rambling Man - Deeedl-dee02 February, 2011 02:23

    The whole concept of an RV (to me), would be to drive it to a warm place for winter habitation (e.g., a beach), and then to Yellowstone for summer. Otherwise you might as well just buy a mobile home with a washing machine and everything. Get a nice farm girl to cook you breakfast (and the rug thing, whatever...) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang tough BP. Your blog is still required reading for this newer Portales resident. (six months and counting). Very entertaining.

    Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Be safe and hope all is well at the Casa Movil.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Buck, the eastern edge of this monster storm just roared in to TN last night on 30 to 40 mph winds and our day time high yesterday dropped from 53 to 25 today, almost 30 degrees, F. But it's nothing like you got. Or those poor folks in KC, Chicago, etc. I too hope you find things still shipshape at the Casa Movil. How's the Green Hornet perform in these kind of conditions? Be careful in and out, man, that kind of temp and wind can freeze your face off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Last year with the two huge storms things were much worse than this year here in OK. Snow is not good, but the ice last year made things horrible. People were without power for over two weeks, trees were broken, etc.

    I'm kind of with Ramblin Man, maybe you should move around more or buy a house.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anon1: Yeah, the power grid needs some work in this part of the country. Well, P-Ville, anyhoo.

    The Man of a Thousand Names: I endorsed your concept of RV living when I began this gig. Health issues and such requires your concept of operations to change.

    Anon2: Thanks for the kind words!

    Kris: Thank ya, Ma'am.

    Dan: TGH does well with cold dry pavement but she HATES snow.

    Lou: Ice storms are the WORST.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You really got hammered with the cold. We had 40+ mph winds last night here on the ridge, I swear I could feel the house wheezing with every gust! Lost a few shingles too.
    What a winter so far! Stay warm best you can when you venture out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sending positive vibes to the Casa.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.