Friday, November 12, 2010

No Outdoor Happy Hour Today

It feels decidedly wintry today... which is to say cold and damp.  And yes, I know "cold" is relative.  Rest assured it WILL get colder here on The High Plains Of New Mexico.  And we WILL have snow.  We always do.  But it's just enough snow to remind me of why I no longer live Up Nawth as I've mentioned in these pages many times and prolly three times too many.  But you know how us Old Farts are... always tellin' the same ol' story, all the time.

I have to get out in this stuff later today; the state of the fridge is such that a beer run must be made.  Well, not really, as I prolly have at least six bottles in the fridge.  But that's the "restock point."  I get nervous if our supply drops below a certain level, yanno?

The first really chilly day of the season always makes me more than a lil bit wistful for Former Happy Days.  Mainly because a day like today is just perfect for curling up by the fire with a good book, a toddy, and your best friend... in a room like this.



(sigh)

―:☺:―

Miscellaneous stuff, One... I'm back to using Internet Exploder, V.8-dot-something.  I made the mistake of attempting to upgrade to Firefox 3.6.12 yesterday and there's something wrong with the install code.  I downloaded the update and ran the install program TWICE and still no joy.  The Install Wizard tells me I had a successful installation but I get a big fat bunch o' nuthin' when I click the FF icon.  So we're back on IE.  I'm thinkin' about downloading Chrome again, coz IE is gonna make me look like a retard due to the fact it doesn't have a built-in spellchecker... Typos 'R" Us, even if I am among the fastest three-finger-and-one thumb typists in the known universe.  The typos KILL me and spellcheck is my best friend.  (sigh)
 
Miscellaneous stuff, Two... We had massive thunderboomers roll through THPoNM last evening, beginning around 2300 hrs and lasting until I went to bed at oh-dark-thirty.  Our local Comcast facility apparently was struck by the storm's very first lightning bolt, as my cable teevee went poof at 2300 hrs and did NOT return before I went to bed sometime around 0400 hrs.  My post-retirement firebombing career inches ever closer...

12 comments:

  1. One can never have too much liquid libation when a cold front hits. Be careful out there and stay warm! Yep everytime I see how much snow gets dumped on my brother in Chicago reminds me of why I choose to live in the South!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way when the wine stores in our house fall below 6 bottles. We are lower than that right now and I'm quite cranky about it. Our normal supplier - great wines, better prices and usually local courier delivery - has screwed up for the last time, forcing me to abandon a recent order and start over with someone new.

    Which ... I'm not happy about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didja notice the glass o' red on the coffee table in the pic, Kris? You had to "click for larger," of course, it's nearly invisible as displayed on the blog page.

    The innernets. That's where I go for wine and good booze not otherwise available in this lil backwater.

    ReplyDelete
  4. re: Firefox, have you tried to find and save your bookmarks file, and then just dump the entire install (from Control Panel, Uninstall Programs, etc.) and then do a clean install with the full package?

    It's rare that FF/Mozilla will spork an update, but it does happen.

    At least if you salvage your bookmarks, you don't have to re-invent that particular wheel...

    Thanks for the rain and the cold front, BTW! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a beautiful room. One day I hope to have one just like it...one day she says rather wistfully. Not sure if the news or the weather or that fact that Im on my own this weekend (and doing all the boxing up and packing for our move in 2 weeks) that is making me feel blue ...but something is! Think Ill stock up on some wine. Good idea Buck. Anyway...new horizons new blog. I'm moving blog. Just thought I'd drop in the new address here...its in experiment stage. Some proper writing to follow soon! Happy Autumn Buck :)

    http://towertales.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. What she said. Btw, if you don't already have Ccleaner, be advised that it contains a registry cleaner which disposes of dead program stubs left behind by "uninstall" utilities, as well as cleaning out all cache, temp files, etc.

    http://www.piriform.com/

    It'd be worth it even if you had to pay for it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Buck - I did click the image and finally did see the glass of wine. Is it safe to presume that it's not yours? :-)

    Actually our wine supplier is internet-based. After an e-mail exchange my faith in them is restored and all will be well. A long-delayed case of the uber-wonderful red stuff will be delivered to our doorstep this week.

    And all will be well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, my, I love that room! The arch is just about perfect Craftsman. And I do m iss a fireplace -- or the need for a fireplace. We have several of them, but they're long-ago all sealed up.

    I love to sleep during thunderstorms, but am usually not able to because the big, bad black Lab doesn't like to sleep during thunderstorms and likes to share his discomfort, usually via a gigantic paw placed squarely and heavily upon one's slumbering solar plexus.

    Aren't you just more and more glad every day that our all-knowing and wise Government did away with analog tv? Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. re: Firefox, have you tried ...

    Alas, Thimbelle, I HAVE tried an uninstall, etc. And it still doesn't work. This has me fairly well stumped.

    Alison: I like your new blog digs. I was just over your way and dropped a comment. Now I need to update my sidebar!


    Rob: I do have ccCleaner. But I had some issues with it the first and only time I ran the program. I forget what those issues were (it was some time ago) but I know I was NOT a Happy Camper.


    Is it safe to presume that it's not yours? :-)

    Well, no. Beer IS my drink o' choice most of the time but every once in a while I'll pour a glass o' red. NEVER white, unless it's New Years Eve and there's bubbles in it. And weddings, too. ;-)

    I'm glad you worked things out with your wine merchant!

    Moogie: Have you ever considered unsealing at least one of your fireplaces? I know N'Awlins can get chilly in December and January...

    I hear ya about t-storms, skittish dogs, and analog teevee. I just got REALLY pissed that Comcast apparently doesn't have 7x24 maintenance coverage. I called and let 'em know about it, too. Fat lot o' good THAT did.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Google ieSpell. It works pretty good fer me. I've tried FF and Chrome and have had issues with them also. I'm too lazy to do all the work for a Linux setup although I've got a ton of Unix experience in another life. Just easier...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for that, Flugelman. But I'm happy to relay that I finally got Firefox to install and... more importantly... load without issue. I'm a Happy Camper as we speak!

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.