Monday, October 04, 2010

Two (or More) Cultures Separated By a Common Language*



Warning: lotsa F-bombs so it ain't work-safe.  But it IS good... this guy has a talent!  Fookin'-A.

There were a few folks I met in Ol' Blighty who musta thought I was deaf... coz I was always doin' the "What?  What?  Say again?" thing.  Especially to Liverpudlians... their "English" is incomprehensible to anyone living outside of Merseyside.  South Londoners... read as Cockneys... are arguably worse but I got to a point where I could understand about half of what they said on the first take.  Exposure, and all that.

* with apologies to G.B. Shaw.

8 comments:

  1. I once shared a train to Ascot race course in England with My Dad and a gentleman from the north country. For the life of me, Buck, I couldn't understand even half of what he was saying. And he was a friendly sort, voluble, and My Dad loved a good conversation, so they kept chattering away, and about the only way I could understand the northerner's end of the conversation was via My Dad's follow-up to whatever he had said. I guess My Dad had a keener ear than me, because he seemed to have little problem. Maybe it was just because two horse players had enough lingo in common to muddle through?

    ReplyDelete
  2. CLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAP!

    That was fabulous, Buck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wonderin' about the dearth of comment on this post, Daph. You've restored my faith in humanity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was amazing and informative. I can see why his friends are so entertained.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You could never be sure WHO was callin' ya if that dude was your friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! He has an amazing ear! He even got the nasal bits down when appropriate! Thanks for posting this!

    And then he goes back to his own final-consonnat-swallowing, letter omitting accent. Priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing. Absolutely brilliant. His American accents were pretty near perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. M&C: Yeah... amazin' ain't the word! I WISH I had this dude's talent.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.