Thursday, October 28, 2010

Today's Happy Hour Soundtrack

From long ago and far away... when Sir Elton was relevant:



Apropos of nuthin'... isn't it amazing how the words to certain tunes become so deeply and indelibly etched in our brains?  I found myself singin' along to this tune right out loud as the song rolled out of the speakers of My Very Expensive Radio.  And I didn't miss a single word, beat, or inflection, either.  Perhaps it's repetition or mebbe it's something else, like the singin' of the piece to a significant other countless times.  

But whatever it might be, this song stands the test of time... unlike SO many of His Lordship's other compositions.  I'd be thinkin' of "Candle in the Wind" and "Crocodile Rock," among many others... the likes of which might make me physically ill if I hear them but ONE more time.  YMMV, of course.

8 comments:

  1. I turned yer comment loose. I only look at my own blog maybe once per month, or so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, JTG. My comment was mostly for you, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Buck, I know exactly what you mean. It is quite interesting how we can still sing along, not missing a beat after ALL those years.

    I won't mention particular artists, because I don't want to get you to snickering, but Elton is one of those. I heard "Daniel" the other day, and sang it with him...not a bobble. "Your Song" is another one of those...really, there are hundreds.

    I read a somewhat interesting piece once about this. There is something about the rhythms that etch words in the silver trails of our brain (or something). It was just some scientific mumbo-jumbo that affirmed what we already know.

    Nice track. It never gets old.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Flashback junior year in High school!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah well, you know how I feel about Sir Elton. That said this is one of my all-time faves of his work.

    Pure poetry in every way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Your Song" is another one of those...really, there are hundreds.

    I read a somewhat interesting piece once about this.


    If not thousands. This phenomenon... the imprint/recall thingie... has interested me since I first began listening to music as a child. It interested my Ol' Man, too... who used to yell at me about bein' "able to remember all that *$!!@#!! rock'n'roll trash but you can't remember to take out the *$!!@#!! GARBAGE?" Among other things...

    Anon: Heh. I was stationed at Boron AFS when this came out... just back from my first tour in Japan. (sigh)

    Kris: Yeah, I know. The sergeant has no further comment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love me some Sir Elton, This one and "Daniel" are probably my faves.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Take Me to the Pilot" is second on my oh-so-short list, Moogie. That short list includes most everything on the first album, actually.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.