Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Today's Happy Hour Soundtrack




Cracking up, getting ready to go
Had enough, I can't take any more
No pills that I can take
This is too real and there ain't no escape

It scares the daylight making nightmares
I'm tense, and I'm nervous
And everybody's all around me
Shaking hands and saying howdy
I don't think it's funny no more 
Cracking up 
Full lyrics here.  Nick Lowe is one of those guys who have/had a cult following, at best.  He sure as HELL deserved more.  The man had a rock 'n' roll aesthetic that was unsurpassed... his lyrics were just frickin' perfect and his playin' was beyond good... it was GREAT.  (sigh)

Life just ain't fair now, izzit?  

And one shouldn't read more into this post than what's on the surface.  This is simply a great tune -- no more, no less.  I'm speakin' of "Crackin' Up," of course.  "Ragin' Eyes" is just a bonus.

5 comments:

  1. A problem for Lowe's popularity is that he was rockabilly in a time of Punk/New Wave's massive onslaught on pop music. Rockpile was such an outstanding band/project that never really took off in sales.

    Plus; Let's face it, Music executives of the time and now are like kindergartner's following silly trends and one another, and never getting it right. It's about bottom lines, not art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's about bottom lines, not art.

    Truer words, and all that!

    Lou: Thank ya Ma'am!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is my first exposure to him. I went through a period when I was teaching, Pepper was travelling a lot, and my kids were at that "let's see if we can overload Mom" stage. Music was kinda sacrificed then in favor of quiet time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Moogie: Lowe is quite good. And I hear ya about "quiet time."

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.