Sunday, September 12, 2010

The Sunday Re-Run and an Update to Same

A couple o' years ago I posted the piece immediately below on the Dalley Windmill Collection, one of Portales' minor claims to fame.  I went searching for a suitable reference link to include in the re-post because the quoted link is dead.  In so doing I found out the Dalleys are trying to donate their collection to Roosevelt County.  From the Portales News-Tribune:
A Portales man wants to donate his life-long windmill collection to the county to be used as a tourist attraction, an idea the city turned down several years ago.

Bill Dalley brought the matter to the Roosevelt County Commission on Tuesday.

Dalley has been collecting windmills for 30 years.

“I would like to keep them in the county, because most of them came from the county,” Dalley said.

[...]

Roosevelt County Commissioner Bill Cathey said he likes the idea, and thinks the windmills could be best displayed at the Roosevelt County Fairgrounds, and maybe even downtown on the square.

“I’m going to do all I can to preserve and keep the windmills together,” Cathey said, adding he will work with the fair board, city council and chamber of commerce to try to move the idea along.
I hope Commissioner Cathey is persuasive in his arguments.  I'd hate to see this unique Americana collection broken up and sent off with the four winds (ahem).

And now my post from two years ago...


The Dalley Windmill Collection


 Anyone who’s traveled on the American Great Plains knows that the landscape is dotted with windmills... most of which are still functioning, drawing water for cattle and other livestock. In some parts of the country the standard joke is the windmill is the Unofficial State Tree. That’s probably true here on The High Plains of New Mexico, as trees of any sort are in very short supply. 
One of Portales, New Mexico’s minor claims to fame…and they’re ALL minor, come to think on it… is The Dalley Windmill Collection. From Southeastern New Mexico (The Arts, Museums, and Must-See Sites) (ed: dead link):

The Dalley Windmill Collection
One of the residents of Portales has a collection of 75 windmills from around the world. You can drive by and see all of the beautiful windmills. On a good and windy day they will be turning and charming the eyes of viewers.
Address 1506 Killgore St., Portales, NM
Phone (505) 356-6263

“A good and windy day” would be nearly any day in P-Ville, except for today. I took a ride out to the Dalley’s place earlier this afternoon to take the pictures you see here. I had hoped to talk to Mr. Dalley and get some background on his collection but no one was home…alas and alack. I was able to take pictures, though… and this post contains three such.

This is the first of what may be many windmill photos. I also put up more (and different) photos of Mr. Dalley’s windmills at The Summer Photo Project 2008. And, apropos of nothing… You’ll be able to tell when The Muse goes off to wherever it is she goes from time to time… coz there’ll be more windmill photos.

As always...click for larger.
I posted more windmill photos if'n you're interested, Gentle Reader.  My Muse has a habit of going AWOL, as noted above.

9 comments:

  1. Well, I'm an idiot, bec. who knew there were that many kinds of windmills in the first place? Obviously not me. Wow.

    These are really neat to see. Hopefully the town won't get all bogged down (as SOME politicians are prone to do) with cost of upkeep, etc., because this is something to really keep ahold of.
    Just consider it ANOTHER reason to visit beautiful Portales, New Mexico!! Right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to see them at the fairgrounds. I don't see that there would be room for them on the square. Another good spot would be over on W. University close to you. All that empty land there that ENMU owns. Where ever they go, I hope someone maintains them well and they don't get vandalized. Mr. Dalley, bless his heart, is just getting too old to be going up and down those things all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks absolutely charming! I would pay to go there.

    Maybe Mr. Dalley should pitch to the County Commission from a "green angle!" You know, tell them they could be saving or creating green jobs by establishing an official windmill museum!

    It could work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...because this is something to really keep ahold of.
    Just consider it ANOTHER reason to visit beautiful Portales, New Mexico!! Right?


    Right on both counts, Kath. But Happy Hour on the verandah of El Casa Móvil De Pennington remains the BEST reason to visit P-Ville. ;-)

    I'd like to see them at the fairgrounds. I don't see that there would be room for them on the square.

    Agreed, Jenny. Although ONE of the classic windmills would look good on the Square. The rest of your points are well-taken.

    Maybe Mr. Dalley should pitch to the County Commission from a "green angle!"

    Aiiieee! MOOGIE! Didja mix up a big batch of lime-green Kool-Aid this afternoon? Jes funnin', of course. It really COULD work in this day and age.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mullin, Kansas. Where US 54 and US 400 meet/diverge depending on which way you are traveling. There is a guy who does similar art with stuff found in barns, sheds and shops around Western Kansas. Not many windmills and a lot of it is for sale.
    And someday, I do plan on happy hour on the Veranda at Casa de Movil Pennington.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recognize some of those. He had that collection going when I still lived there. I went to school with his son.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been to the windmill museum in Lubbock - it is interesting. Portales nees one too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And someday, I do plan on happy hour on the Veranda at Casa de Movil Pennington.

    Come on down, Glenn. The bar is ALWAYS open!

    Gordon: Growing up in P-Ville had to be quite the experience for you.

    Lou: Mr. Dalley has created his very own museum, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Nees" one? Where was my brain?

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.