Friday, August 13, 2010

Today's Happy Hour Soundtrack

I really have NO ideer what Steely Dan has in common with Little Feat... but I'm glad The Dan is included in Pandora's Little Feat Mix, to wit:


I love this tune so much I feel compelled to force it on YOU, Gentle Reader.



And here's yet another, from "Gaucho:"



I was drawn to the band on the strength of their rock 'n' roll Top 40 hit, "Do It Again," like most Steely Dan fans in my age cohort.  They only got better... in my eyes... when they ventured off into jazz-like arrangements and melodies like those found on "Aja" and "Gaucho."  THAT'S when I really became a serious fan.  The earlier stuff was pretty danged good but the fat horn charts and innovative guitar riffs on the later albums really, seriously floated my boat.  So much so that we've defined a Steely Dan station on Pandora for the rest of the afternoon's festivities.

And now it's back outside... yadda, yadda, yadda.

7 comments:

  1. I love how Pandora makes these odd connections - it's loads of fun and why I love Pandora so much I even have their app on my iPhone.

    Aja and Gaucho - probably 2 of the best recordings from my teen years (sorry...). ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...probably 2 of the best recordings from my teen years...

    Puppy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am amazed by Pandora. I will have to add Steely Dan.
    My current selections are:
    Neil Young
    Bob Dylan
    Van Morrison
    Kate Bush
    James Taylor
    Loreena McKennitt
    Matchbox 20
    Collective Soul

    The last two seem to have the best music,

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is as far as I could get on your blog. Steely Dan is without a doubt the most boring, useless band in the history of sissy-sounds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't let the door hit ya in the ass on the way out, Gary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. God, it's easy for me to see what Steely Dan and Little Feat have in common. They're music for grownups, recorded in the 1970s.

    Little Feat shuffled off this mortal coil decades ago, but Steely Dan is still recording and touring. The most recent album is *good*.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good point, Barry. Excellent, actually.

    Paula: This is kinda interesting... as I have these same stations defined as well, with the exception of Loreena McKennit. You might want to add Roxy Music, too. The music is superlative for quiet contemplative moments.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.