Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Linkage

From The Awl... which is a good read if you don't mind the odd piece of liberal snark here and there:

Old Men Using Bikes To Snag Young Chicks  (by Balk @10:15 AM)

"With a bike, it’s all about fitness, strength and stamina. But in some ways a top of the range bicycle says many of the same things about you as a sports car – they both have a rugged, dangerous element to them."
—Psychologist Cliff Arnall explains the logic behind the idea that bicycles are the new Ferraris when it comes to signaling midlife crises in middle-aged men. I am not exactly sure why riding around on something that squashes your nuts flat like a penny on a railroad track will somehow increase your attractiveness to the opposite sex, but then again I hate bicycles and the people who ride them, so maybe I'm not the best person to judge.
Heh... this strikes a certain chord with me.  Now I don't actually hate bikes and the people that ride them, with the possible exception of those spandex-clad Yuppie types cluttering the bike paths on the Left Coast.  Or more specifically, when those same Yuppies ventured OFF the bike paths and got in my way in normal city traffic. Those types are oh-so-fortunate they didn't get run right the Hell over.  I hate those asshats.  Old men should stick to sports cars, anyway. There's much less wheezing involved in operating one.

Speaking of wheezing... we're back from our commissary/beer run out to Cannon Airplane Patch and took our first dose of Mucinex about an hour ago.  It's high hopes we have.

3 comments:

  1. Heh.

    Pepper used to be on a cycling road racing team. He was pretty good at one ppoint, rather competitive actually and he's of the type who instructs well, so several young ladies on the team were always hanging on his every word, eager to "learn from the master." I called them his harem.

    They also liked the Porsche.

    Which do you suppose they liked better? :-P

    Glad you've perked up a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Back in my NM days, I hated bicyclists for riding on the high traffic, narrow mountain roads - especially when I was driving a truck full of kids and pulling a horse trailer full of horses and could not swerve into oncoming traffic. It was kill or be killed. I came pretty close to killing some cyclists. I thought how they were going to be caught dead wearing their very stupid spandex shorts.

    But now things have changed, as you know. I think Toby likes biking due to the ease on his knees and ankles rather than running, walking and other exercises. And the spandex, padded shorts are actually very comfortable and necessary. I find them very sexy on Toby - not so much on me and I wear baggy shorts over mine. Now and then I see "older men" with their jersey zippers down showing grey chest hairs - I'm not impressed and wonder WTH were they thinking. But those younger, fit guys - hubba-hubba!

    VW: lorker - old women who watch young men in spandex outfits riding bikes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Which do you suppose they liked better? :-P

    Heh. I think the answer to that MIGHT be self-evident. ;-)

    Lou: Times do change. Your illustration about stupid bikers is perfect. I have NO issues with considerate bikers who ride safely... it's the asshats that ride in the middle of the road and expect you to execute a full pass into the other lane to get around them that piss me off. You'd think they'd be more concerned for their safety, wouldn't you?

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.