Thursday, July 08, 2010

Touristy Stuff, Part Deux

This would be touristy stuff not available to the general public... or at least not "on-demand."  We were out at Shaw Airplane Patch earlier today and took a few snaps that might be of interest, Gentle Reader (as always... click to embiggen).  First off... the "plane on a stick" outside of Ninth Air Force headquarters... a nicely-done recreation of the Jug flown by Major Frank H. Peppers... one of Ninth Air Force's most storied fighter pilots during the Big One.

The whole aircraft

A close up of the nose art

I give maximum credit to the folks at Ninth Air Force for the serious hat-tip to their illustrious history.  Well done.

And now it's on to stuff of a more personal nature.  We were out at Shaw Airplane Patch today to do a little light shopping at the Base Exchange and Military Clothing Sales, there being a few things left to acquire in order to make our appearance at the change of command ceremony a few days hence... umm... presentable.  So, that done we rang up SN1 at his place o' bidniz and inquired if he would be available to like, show us around?  He replied in the affirmative and we were off like a shot to one of the 20th Fighter Wing's maintenance facilities, where SN1 is employed.  Herewith a few pics...

The Tiger in his lair (1).  SN1's "I Love Me" wall is of impressive proportions.  Therein lies the difference... or PART of the difference... between O's and E's.  You're only seeing about a third of his awards, trophies, and the like.  I was impressed.  Srsly.

The Tiger in his lair (2).  And yes, that floor is MOST clean.  You could eat off that floor, no problema.

A shot of an engine change in progress on a Lawn Dart. 

The fin-flash of the 77th Fighter Squadron.  SN1 will go flying with these guys when he gets back from Pittsburgh.

One of the several murals depicting the heritage of the 20th Fighter Wing.

Here's a semi-interesting aside.  You'll note Big Ben in the mural above and that's a hat-tip to the 20th's history.  Back in the 1980s the 20th Tac Fighter Wing flew F-111s and were based at RAF Upper Heyford in England.  I know this because my squadron... the 2119th Communications Squadron, RAF Uxbridge... was attached to the 20th TFW for logistics and administrative purposes.  I made weekly trips up to Heyford from Uxbridge back in the day, so I'm well acquainted with the 20th TFW.  I find it interesting that SN1 and I share a small bit of USAF history.

Another heritage mural.

So... our afternoon in pictures.  One of the things I dearly love about having sons in service are the opportunities I have to reconnect with my past.  That's a great good thing, Gentle Reader, and it does this ol' geezer a world of good.

(BTW... you're reading tomorrow's post today, as we shall post-date this lil piece at 0001 hrs, Thursday.  We be cheatin'... and we also be on vacation, so we're allowed.)

11 comments:

  1. The behind-the-scenes pics are great. SN1 is a most impressive tiger in his lair. The shared history and paintings are cool. Lots of envy going on here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am seriously impressed by that floor. For a place where maintenance is performed? Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely stunning pics Buck, truly. And SN1 - the Tiger? - oh yeah, lookin' mighty fine and regal in his world. Good for him and good on you!

    Getting very excited about the change of command stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lou: Thanks. We're having fun!

    Jim: That floor is amazing... the pics don't do it justice.

    Kris: The "tiger" thing just came out of the blue (no pun); I dunno why. I'm gettin' excited about the upcoming event, too. SN1 and I spent quite a bit of time talking about it last evening.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love his office -- very, very nice.

    Great pictures of the hangar, too!! That is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool pics!! And the Tiger is indeed looking sharp and most squared-away. Pepper has a term for the "I Love Me" walls -- he calls 'em "Gee Whiz Walls." Someday I'm going to surprise him with a proper display case for all the challenge coins stuffed away in various zip-lock bags.

    Military hangars have always amazed me -- you could literally eat off of them.

    Enjoy the new Exchange and Commissary -- I always enjoy exploring new ones.

    Great touristy stuff -- and great history lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice photos Buck! Love the cleanliness in military hangers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I spy at least two (and maybe three...can't quite make what I think is the last one out) Leo Marquez awards. Well done, they don't exactly just hand those out...any of those from his time before he crossed over to the dark side?

    Also, nice old school faded/wrong color palette ABUs. I laugh inside every time I see someone wearing those, which is fairly often because I'm pretty sure those are the only kind my Chief owns.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kath and Mushy: Thank Ya!

    Moogie: There are many names, I think, for the wall o' fame. SN2 has a damned cool one in that he's saved a pristine ball cap from every org he has ever been in and that is the "roof" of his wall. I wish to Hell I had held on to all the paraphernalia I collected over the years during my career... most all of it got away, tho.

    I spy at least two (and maybe three...can't quite make what I think is the last one out) Leo Marquez awards.

    Good eye, LT! It's three, all of 'em earned as an O. I'm pretty sure I remember the first one and you're right... those ain't handed out like candy.

    Buck shares an office with his Chief, and I really should have taken a pic of the Chief's wall, coz it's impressive in its own right. The Chief is one of the few guys I've met lately whose career and mine overlapped by a couple o' years... in that he came in in '83 and I retired in '85. He's a cool dude.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wasn't stationed at Upper Heyford, but we shopped there when I was at Fairford, because the Fairford BX was very very small, and the commissary didn't exist.

    But I did do a 60-day TDY at UH later when I was stationed at Alconbury. So I did see my share of the 20TFW stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.