Thursday, June 03, 2010

The View From Chicago


Just a brief quote to direct you to this Chicago Tribune piece by David Haugh on last night's game:
Clearly, the Flyers have no plans to abort this mission. For the second straight game, they dominated the third period and established the desired tempo. For the third straight game, the difference was one goal.

Any time the Hawks want to start acting like the favorites in this series again, fine by me. Any time the Hawks want to focus on attacking the Flyers more than answering their attacks, nobody will complain.
Yup.  What he said.  Yesterday I read another column in the Chicago press that said the Blackhawks have only brought their "C" game to this series so far, and that's the frickin' truth.  The Flyers aggressive forechecking last night seemed to leave the Hawks shell-shocked and I'm being kind here.  Philadelphia also won most of those critical battles in the corners and on the boards... in both the offensive and defensive zones... to the point where it really looked like the Hawks were intimidated.  I don't think that was my imagination, not when I saw any number of Hawks hesitate to get to the puck before the Flyers did (with the possible exception of Byfuglien)... it just happened too many times.  You can't win games if you're gonna play like that, to say the VERY least.

This series is getting more and more interesting as time moves on and tomorrow night is gonna be some kinda FUN.  This doesn't mean I'm backing off on my "Chicago in six" prediction.  I'm thinkin' Quenneville and his boyz might have received the message last night... but we'll see what we see, eh?

5 comments:

  1. This series would make for one hell of a game 7. We can only hope it gets that far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great, watchable Finals.

    My wife, (who, as a 'Canes Fan who still maintains residence in NC) after swearing she wouldn't watch the whole game, was in it through the overtime last night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed, Andy... even if that would make me wrong for about the 16th time with my predictions.

    You too, WWW. I'm thoroughly enjoying this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well,Buck, I totally agree with your visual take--glad I'm not crazy--I said to myself (in BOTH their losses) "Am I imagining things or are those guys hesitating before heading for the puck?" I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Sense of urgency??? Lord. Like they were casually taking a practice skate-thru..

    ReplyDelete
  5. They played better last night, Virgil. At least for the last five minutes of the third period. I also thought they were more aggressive last evening, too. Best of three now...

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.