Sunday, June 06, 2010

I KNEW It Was Hot Yesterday...

... but I didn't think we were in record-breaking territory.  Turns out we were; from the National Weather Service in ABQ:
New or tied record high temperatures Saturday June 5th.

Site new record old record and year

Roswell Airport 110 106 in 1990

Socorro Airport 106 104 in 1996
Fort Sumner 103 99 in 1996
Albuquerque valley 102 100 in 2006
Albuquerque Airport 100 98 in 2006
Clovis 100 tied 100 in 1939
Santa Fe Airport 100* 96 in 2006
Gran Quivira ntl mnt 99 98 in 1996
Espanola 98 tied 98 in 1990
Albuquerque foothills 97 96 in 2006
Raton Airport 97 95 in 2006
Las Vegas Airport 97 93 in 2006
Grants Milan Airport 97 tied 97 in 2006
Ruidoso fire dpt 97 92 in 1996
Gallup Airport 94 tied 94 in 2006
Los Alamos Airport 92 89 in 2006
Chama y motel 86 tied 86 in 2006

* all time record high temperature for any day. But note only 28 years of data is available for the Santa Fe Airport.
Our local WX station... not of the  "official" sort... reported 102 yesterday afternoon.  But Hell, 100 is hot enuff, innit?  


We're cooler today what with it being only 90 degrees on its way to 97.  It's breezy, too.  We're tempting fate by having our awning down.  I think I'll fire up a stogie and get my old ass outside, G&T in hand, just to keep an eye on it.

8 comments:

  1. It's hot here, too. I don't know what it is, but it's a clear sky, and miserable...and I've got about 3 gallons of Roundup with my name written on it that must be sprayed.

    Perfect day for it. You can watch the weeds die.

    Actually, we hit 96 the other day, and I thought it must be a record. Nope! Seems that in 1990 it was 102 on that particular day.

    Man, I love the South!

    Heh! You're really lighting up the boards with word verifications today.

    "ficsing" As in, I'm ficsing to go do something productive...

    ReplyDelete
  2. All this talk of high temperatures is making me glow. Ladies don't sweat in the south, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cooler here (Santa Fe) today, too. Only 76º right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It may be hotter in Clovis than it is in Oklahoma. It has been hot here, but today it is only 95. It is the humidity that has been outrageous today - enough to make your hair curl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, there is still snow on the passes in Oregon and UCK - at least you have sun~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andy: I never used to be able to handle hot very well. Things are different now that I'm older, though...

    Moogie: I know all about glowing. My Mom made it a point to emphasize and RE-emphasize that point. Over and over.

    Sharon: 76 is my dead-solid-perfect temp.

    Lou: We almost hit 100 again yesterday. It was warm.

    Cynthia: No sun today, alas... it's all overcast and storms are threatening. But yesterday was gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's because Santa Fe didn't have an airport until then. Well, it had one, but it was only used by a few hardy souls. It was the only state capital without commercial service.

    6300 feet of elevation + hot summer days = takeoff runs of truly heroic length. Albuquerque was almost as bad; AF pilots of the piston age used to joke that if you weren't airborne by the time you reached Tucumcari, it was time to abort.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...airborne by the time you reached Tucumcari, it was time to abort.

    Heh. DOUBLE-heh!

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.