Sunday, May 02, 2010

Today's Happy Hour Soundtrack

Taking a page out of Blog-sister Kris' book...



I could very well have been one of those kids in this video, as I was 11 years old when "High Society" was released.  Now, that said... Mom and I used to do a killer duet on this song in the way-back, until such time as I got into my teens and singing tacky songs like this became uncool.  But Mom never quit trying to engage me with this song and every so often we'd do it... up until I was a senior in high school.  Srsly.

So.  We've defined a Sinatra station on Pandora and we're listening to Ol' Blue Eyes... and Ella... and Nat King Cole... and a plethora of other older-than-me-and-gone-on-to-their-reward artists.  And we're thinking of Mom.  Fondly.

Mom

Correction:  Memory ain't what it used to be.  The song is from the 1959 film A Hole In The HeadI was 14, so I couldn't have been in that clip.  And I guess I did sing the song into my teens.

9 comments:

  1. Mom was lovely!

    Just what makes that little ol' ant . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember watching the movie on TV (later in the 60's) with my family and singing that song.

    Your mom was beautiful - you might have to show more pics of her for those who have not seen some of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful lady! Southern gal, I'll bet...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks all y'all for the nice words. I know that everyone's Mom is beautiful but it's always nice to hear that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got an old, scratchy MP3 of Ella singing "Someone to Watch Over Me" with George Gershwin at the piano.

    As Gerard says, "Something Wonderful".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Buck - your mom really was beautiful. Not just saying that, she truly had a matinee idol look about her.

    I wish we still dressed like that! So classic.

    Your mom looks like the kind of woman who knows when not to act like too much of a lady.

    A trait I respect deeply.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your mom looks like the kind of woman who knows when not to act like too much of a lady.

    Ah, Kris. You have NO ideer how correct you are. You know how kids can and do embarrass their parents? Well, Mom routinely embarrassed ME... but in an oh-so-good way. Most of what I knew of women (as a young man) I learned at my mother's knee. She was well ahead of her time, and once again... I mean that in the BEST possible way.

    Mr. Webb: The better part of the Pandora Sinatra station is Ella. Srsly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I just saw this picture. How fabulous! She just looks happy.

    Yes, please show more when the mood strikes you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There aren't all that many more, Kath. We lost most of our photo archives in the Great Divorce Crisis of 1998.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.