Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Sunday Re-Run

I've decided today is the day we restore the computer, seeing as how it'll be a week tomorrow that the damned thing has been sitting on the floor tweaking my guilt strings.  In my defense... there were at least three days out of the last six where we either had massive thunder-boomers in the area or the threat of same.  Only fools would undertake a labor and time intensive computer task under the threat of power outages.

So... that said, we are up at oh-dark-thirty this morning, the coffee has been made and we're preparing ourselves for the tasks at hand.  In the meantime, here's a lil sumthin from a couple o' years ago.

Attitude

The New York Times had an interesting article yesterday: “A Guide to the French. Handle With Care.” It doesn’t look like a lot has changed since the last time I was in La Belle France. But here’s the bit that caught my fancy, Gentle Reader: 

7: Feeling Sexy Is a State of Mind, or: Buy Good Lingerie
In her close-fitting sweaters and pants and tailored leather jackets, Eliane Victor is both stylish and alluring. The retired author and journalist is in her late 80s.

For French women, being sexy has nothing to do with age and everything to do with attitude. Arielle Dombasle, the actress and cabaret singer married to the philosopher Bernard-Henri Lévy, dared to expose her breasts on the cover of Paris Match and took off her clothes in a song-and-dance revue at Crazy Horse in Paris. Some people feel she tries too hard. But give the lady some credit. She’s turning 50 and has a Barbie-doll body.

A 600-page sociological study of sexuality in France released this month concluded that 9 out of 10 women over 50 are sexually active. The sexiest French women seem naturally skilled in the art of moving, smiling and flirting.

Chic French women prefer to peel and polish rather than paint their faces. Too much makeup, they say, makes a woman seem older, or worse, “vulgaire.” “The most beautiful makeup for a woman is passion,” Yves Saint Laurent once said. “But cosmetics are easier to buy.”

French women spend close to 20 percent of their clothing budgets on lingerie. But you also have to know how to wear it. When the Galeries Lafayette department store inaugurated its 28,000-square-foot lingerie shop in 2003, it offered free half-hour lessons by professional striptease artists.

The illustration above is the Paris Match cover of Ms. Arielle Dombasle that's referenced in the excerpt. Ms. Dombasle might be trying too hard… or not. Still and even: “Good on Her,” sez I. At least she’s out there (pun intended), flaunting those perky, silicone-free mammary glands. It’s hard, if not impossible, for me to imagine any 50-year old American woman posing topless on the cover of a mass-circulation American weekly… even the National Enquirer. At any rate, there’s not one single thing in the excerpt above I disagree with, and a lot I admire…especially Monsieur Saint Laurent’s take on cosmetics.

French women have always been admired and, yes… lusted after… throughout my lifetime. You may count me among their admirers, but more for attitude and style than anything else. C'est si bon!

As for the rest of the article? Interesting… on the whole… but not as much as the bits I quoted. YMMV, Gentle Reader.
―:☺:―

In The Guardian (UK): “Europe’s Top Ten Motorbiking Roads:” The lede:

What makes a good biking road? Well, there's a saying among motorcyclists that driving a car is like watching a movie, whereas riding a motorbike is like being in one. And I guess it can all distil down to that: open to the elements and without a metal box around you, the feeling of vulnerability and danger merely serving to heighten the senses, you really do feel part of the world around you. A great biking road should have twists and turns so you can get your knee down and your heart rate up, certainly. If it's got a smooth surface and has good visibility, all the better. Add in an epic landscape and a real sense of adventure and you've got biking nirvana.
I’ve not ridden any of the ten roads listed, but Dayum! … I sure want to. Actually, I’m only writing about this article because of the eerie similarity of the above paragraph to something I wrote nearly eight years ago. Great minds, and all that…
―:☺:―


Today’s Pics: My... how quickly our moods change, no? Was it something I said? I have no idea what the lady was pissed about, but one can plainly see she most certainly was upset with me. The two pics were taken no more than five minutes apart, IIRC. As ever, click for larger.

The Second Mrs. Pennington and I at a squadron picnic sometime during the 1980 – 1983 timeframe, 2119th Communications Squadron, RAF Uxbridge, UK.
Now on to the tasks at hand.

10 comments:

  1. If I had perks like that, I might show them.

    I love those pics of your younger days. I think the TSMP may be just drinking her Fanta, and maybe giveing you the warning glare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Buck - nice photos at the end of the post!

    Funny how the sexes differ in their views. I just see an old woman who should know better with her teeny knackers out! Im all for older women being praised for their beauty and not despised for growing old. But Levi's wife is pushing the limits a little. I'm no fan of French women AT ALL. Having lived there for several years I always found them rude, petty, demanding, humourless, self obsessed and faintly pathetic. I never had a single female French friend whilst there - but plenty of male friends. Go figure! I do have a good French friend now but she is virtually English - she likes female company and a few drinks.

    Bernard HL is an appauling excuse for a man. He supports and campaigns on behalf of Roman Polanski.

    Nice to be catching up with you and Exile after a period of hiding away. Hope you are well & life is good?

    The UK election was so exciting that it took my mind off life quite a lot and forced me out of hiding. Which feels nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh! A couple of things...I would comment on the lovely 50 year-old French gal, but I would only be stating the obvious.

    Two things on the photos. You AF guys really used to wear long hair. I don't see that around these parts with Airmen...almost all high & tight, or shaved. Have they changed the regs?

    And, I see that the years have developed a taste for a little higher quality brew in Mr. Buck. Miller? Must have been free...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lou: IIRC we were "discussing" whether it was time to leave. Or not. ;-)

    Alison: It's GOOD to see your smiling face again. You have an interesting take on French women; I suppose it's all about our experience, oui?

    Andy: I don't think the personal appearance regs have changed all that much, but the culture sure has... both in and out of the military. Short hair is much more in vogue these days, less so back in the '70s and early '80s.

    And yeah... the beer was free. We had other squadron functions with local beer on tap, but not at this one.

    Hey!! I'm entering this comment on the restored box! Still a LOT of work to do yet, but I've successfully installed my backup software, AV software, Office, Firefox and such. Now it's time to begin trying to restore files.

    ReplyDelete
  5. On the restored box already? You're pretty quick for an old guy...

    ReplyDelete
  6. The picture of you and your wife makes me laugh, bec. it reminds me sooooo much of me (with nonalcoholic beverage) listening to the ex SWEAR this was the first beer he even really had a chance to taste!!

    Notice the wording of his excuse. One would have to assume all the others went down untasted then. Hmmmm.

    Oh, well! :) :)

    Very impressive, Mr.Buck, to have the computer working so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad I could make ya smile, Kath.

    The 'puter ain't entirely there yet. We're still restoring files... specifically 26.3 gigs of "My Documents" files... to begin with. And then there's MUCH more to do...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate to say something is monolithically bad about American women, but there is a certain thing I think most of my peers really miss out on if they don't own their sexuality. Sexy is largely a state of mind, but I think our culture tends to reinforce a view that if you are female and your man doesn't make you feel like you ooze sex appeal, then you couldn't possibly be sexy. This is obviously utter hogwash.

    I think it's important to recognize one's strengths, and just because we are not all a cover-girl ideal does not mean we are not just completely on fire either in or out of the sack. I am.

    I think devoting a good chunk of the wardrobe budget on good lingerie is a good investment, whether another person will ever see you in it or not. After all, how you feel on the inside of your clothes will certainly show on the outside.

    as for the look of reproach from the former missus, well, we all have our moments. There's usually a reason why our exes are exes-- at least that is the circumstance in my case.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Buck, A diverse post, with so many goodies it's hard to decide what to comment on. I'll just take it in your order:

    The computer work sounds like a pain, hope you finish today.

    C'est la attitude. N'est pas? (I probably screwed my lame attempt at Francais up royally, but it's been 40 years.) Anyway, my view is that the primary sex organ is the mind and that's where it is all along. You just don't realize for certain that sex is mental until sometime after 50. Or (if you're male) until you have your first ED episode! BTW will you be reading that 600 page book?

    I read your linked to piece from 8 years ago. I've never been on a sport bike and I've never ridden that fast but your piece put me in the saddle and I sensed every move of the bike, every twist and turn in the road. And especially the speed. 'Bout the only wind in the face I get these days is when the Mrs. and I take a top down spin in the XK8. Actually, that's wind in the back of the head, not the face!

    The pics from your younger days are great. Are those John Lennon type glasses you're wearing? I had a pair of those one time. And that quick change in her facial expression...when the smile tightens into a hard line...I've seen that myself a few times. I've also been lucky enough to see it go the other way as well.

    Good post. Sorry to ramble on so long.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LIKE the way ya think, Phlegmmy. Always have, actually.

    Dan: Thank you for chasing up the link to that old post. It's not for nothing I call that my "Greatest Hit."

    I agree on the brain being the primary sex organ... and also your point about most males not coming to that realization until later in life. Women get there a LOT earlier than we do.

    600 page book? Which one would that be?

    And yeah, my glasses were most certainly Lennonesque at that time and for many years before and after. I loved that look and only abandoned it a couple o' few years back.

    Finally... you can go on as long as you like!!

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.