Monday, March 01, 2010

TeeVee

The Olympic hockey gold medal thriller on Sunday pulled in a record television audience in Canada.
A total of 16.6 million viewers watched Canada’s 3-2 overtime win against the United States, the largest viewership ever for a telecast on Canadian television.

[...]
CTV reports that 80 per cent of Canadians (26.5 million) watched some part of the game.
The Canadian numbers are to be expected, no?  This, OTOH, is MOST interesting:
In the United States,  NBC earned a 17.6 overnight rating (percentage of potential households tuned in) for the Canada-U.S. game.

That rating, SportsBusiness Daily reports,  represents a 45 per cent increase over the rating for 2002 Salt Lake final also between Canada and United States.

It also ranks third highest among NFL regular season telecasts in 2009. It’s also higher than the rating for a World Series game dating back to 2004 and every NBA Finals game since 1998.
About damned time.  I find the US results oh-so-gratifying but I don't expect a great upsurge in either hockey coverage or hockey fans.  One would follow the other and both would be nice.  But I'm not holding my breath.

Don't despair, Gentle Reader.  We're just about done with hockey until the playoffs begin in late April.  To your everlasting relief, I would suppose.  We'll be back to boring you with conservative political rants and photographs of our daily beer and cigar consumption in short order.

Image from here.

6 comments:

  1. Enjoy it all Buck! Wish I was in to ice hockey. But ice and snow ain't our thing here. I played hockey and represented the county of Kent til I was 18 if that counts and have the scars to prove it!. You don't ever bore btw. Fire away when ready...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scars? Got whacked a bit, didja, Alison? It's ALL good... And thanks for the reinforcement. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched. Ruined my day, it did.

    My day was so wrecked, I went to bed at 1900.

    But it was a good game, especially for the locals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ruined my day, it did.

    Mine, too. I didn't feel like cooking after that... so dinner was two big glasses of milk and a box of Girl Scouts Thin Mints - then bed. Ain't it funny how small stuff will screw your day up?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man did I ever! I also have a dent from a hockey ball, which on clay was a cricket ball basically, hitting my ankle at some crazy arsed speed. Took a chunk out of me ankle!

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.