Friday, March 05, 2010

Our Indolent Ways...

... got the better of us today.  We stepped out of El Casa Móvil De Pennington a couple o' hours ago with the best of intentions, which is to say we really meant to head on over to The Big(ger) City™.  We did.  We really, really did.  Now, that said, we were also struck by how wonderfully warm it was outdoors and how wonderfully inviting our deck chairs looked.  And we do have at least a week's worth of salsa in the fridge, so what's the rush?  That and the fact there's all that beer in there (see below), as well, just begging to be consumed.  

(sigh)  So we turned our Old Ass around, went back indoors, dropped the car keys in their usual, customary and reasonable place, loaded up some JJ Cale on the stereo, threw the windows open wide, uncapped a Franziskaner, went back outside and plopped our self down in one of said deck chairs, face pointed directly into the Spring... well, late winter... sun. At which time we simply enjoyed life as we know it.  To the sweet sounds of this, among other things:



I'm fond of saying life has been hard/Hell since the maid quit.  Part and parcel of said difficulty is the fact I have no one hangin' around who will press me when indolence takes over.  I kinda miss that.  Yet, OTOH, I don't.  It all depends on set and setting... and the "setting" was most delicious this afternoon, Gentle Reader.  We can get the salsa next week and it's been a wonderful afternoon, otherwise.  It's not over, either.  Not by a long shot... so we shall continue as we've begun.  Again.

10 comments:

  1. Ah, a perfect day! It's nice here too, if you like wind. And if you live around here, you better like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go through a lot of salsa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beware the Ides of March, Buck! Funny story: When in college at LSU in Spring, '65 I used to have pick up one of my roommates (from Louisville) up at the bar where he bartended when it closed @2am as his girlfriend's (and later wife) little brother had totaled his black MG convertible. I'd show up about an hour early and he'd feed me free beers until closing. One night about this time in March I was in there sitting at the base of the "squared horseshoe" that was the bar with these two drunk college students sitting to my right along side the right side of the "U." One, in his cups, sat nursing a beer staring straight ahead into space across the bar. His companion sat to his right with his back half-way to him at a 45 silently contemplating space as he sipped on his own brew. Out of nowhere the silence was broken by the first saying out loud to no one in particular as he stared across space: "Beware the Ides of March!" The second, without even turning around replied casually, even absent-mindedly, staring at the back of the bar: "Yeah, they'll fuck ya up every time!" LOL!!! J.W (my roomy the bartender,) almost went to one knee laughing. Talk about funny!!

    Beware, Buck! You've been warned! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a LOT of beer! But at least you've got a good variety there. My fridge contents wouldn't feed even a skinny person, let alone offer them a beer.

    So now that you've made me feel ever so guilty, I will fight my way to the enchanting grocery and buy --- hmmm, well, I guess I'll wait for the inspiration when I get there!
    Happy-thank-goodness-it's-SaturdayDay!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm - I'm liking this J.J. Cale. Will have to investigate more of this.

    As I said at my place today - you know you live in New England in March when it's 40 degrees out and the sun is shining...and you open the windows in the house to let in the fresh air.

    My feet are cold but otherwise I got no complaints. The air smells crisp, clean and so good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. j.j. cale, huh?

    Good stuff.

    You *are* hardcore.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Staci: We have a lot of wind in these parts, too. I bitch about it a lot, as well. But I'm tryin' to quit. ;-)

    Moogie: It was that!

    Bob: A jar a week, without fail. The only thing I don't put salsa on is ice cream.

    Virgil: Well, those guys were literate drunks, at the very least! But yeah: I hear ya.

    Kath: That's the normal state of beer supply. There's more waiting to be moved into the fridge. Be Prepared!

    Kris: I can remember doing the same sort of thing with the windows when I lived Up Nawth. No more, however. We've gone soft in our old age. And JJ Cale is really quite the lyricist and guitarist. I'm pretty sure you'll like what ya find.

    WWW: I had some very knowledgeable friends (music-wise) in the way-back. I took their suggestions to heart... most of the time. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This, A? Or the bits above it?

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.