Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Don't Think Twice... It's Alright

We spent the better part of our day gettin' "organized" (and I use the term loosely) so we could file our taxes in a couple o' few days hence.  Coz it IS that time o' year, Gentle Reader, or nearly so.  I know there are those among you that will think "What?  I've had my refund for a month already!"  And I understand that.  But I'm not among those who feel it's reasonable and prudent to give the gub'mint an interest-free loan of MY money for any length of time.  We nearly always end up owing our Favorite Uncle a small amount of money come the Ides of April... which would be larger still if it weren't for those damnable penalties for "under-withholding."  Which is to say the bastards kind folks at the IRS get you comin' or goin'.  But we digress.

The thought occurred to us as we were goin' through our checkbook register...well, make that Quicken... this morning that tax time isn't NEAR the burden it used to be before the advent of the 'net and applications like MS-Money, Quicken, and end-of-year accounting reports from those good folks at CitiBank and our brokerage firm.  If one has half a brain one can avail one's self of accounting tools that, barring complications in one's financial life... like too much money... make this tax thing fairly easy.  Or easier than it used to be.  Still and even, one longs for Former Happy Days when professional help in the form of accountants was necessary... not to mention reasonable and prudent... if only for the significant delta in the personal bottom line between then and now.  But those days are long behind us now that we're drawing a pittance of pensions and Social Security.  And we are arguably happier, seeing as how we have enough of that folding stuff to indulge our vices and live a life largely free of financial worry.  The luck o' the draw, and all that... or, as a former associate of mine used to say:  "there's no one happier than a wino who can afford his own wine."  That would be us.

So.  It was organizing we were on about today. We've downloaded and installed TurboTax.  We've got all our 1099s and such in one place.  We've totaled up all our medical deductions and charitable contributions.  We are ready.  But we didn't pull the trigger, seeing as how the weather gods are smiling upon us today... and today's bright sunshine and moderate temperatures were a balm after yesterday's dreariness.  We called it a day after all that organizing stuff was done and adjourned to the Great Outdoors to burn a cigar and quaff a couple o' brews.  The actual doin' of the tax thing can wait until tomorrow.... or maybe the day after.

Don't think twice... it's alright.

10 comments:

  1. Part of me wants to say -- lazy butt.

    The other part of me says -- nah, it's your money, your time, do whatever.

    And, yes, I have gotten my return.

    And today is a much prettier day outside!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lazy butt? Nah... just holdin' on to what's mine for as long as I possibly can. Uncle Sugar always gets his... eventually. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hair-dresser's hair is the last to be done. The carpenter's house is never finished. The CPA will file an extension for his own taxes - right up until October if need be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to get my money back as soon as possible.. better I get to receive the interest than the government... even if it's only pennies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Watch out for that new 2010 tax law. The Obama Screw the Middle Class Tax is a bitch to get around! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. You hold off on doing your taxes for the same reason I get mine done as early as possible. No reason for those bastards to have MY money in their pockets.

    (Oh, this is too good. Word veri = malinger)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The gov't. gets so much of our money all year long...and they will soon be putting their hand out for more. Aside from the OSMCT (thank u for that LiveMan, too funny) we are at that stage of life where we pay more principal than interest on our mortgage. And when you are DINKS, that's your biggest deduction.

    It's going away soon. Which is both a good and bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's going away soon. Which is both a good and bad thing.

    More good than bad, methinks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Since I am happily under the income limit due to Unsocial Security, tax time no longer holds any terror. I do expect it'll get worse, but there ain't much to do but buy as much gold as I can on the downlow, so to hell with it.

    On the Bobbie Die-lann cut though: Aw hell yes. Man, does that one have a history.

    That cut is from 1962, back when I was gonna live forever. A year later I was fatally attracted to pickin the gittar; in them days the only method available was Listen, Watch and Try. Hearing that cut (Bruce Langhorne on guitar, btw) along with the PPM and Joan Baez versions filled me with the lust to fingerpick, and the subsequent frustration was enough to convince me that I was stupider than I thought.

    In '64, I went down to Santonia to try college for awhile. The subject that caught my attention, unfortunately, was the local concert series featuring people like Dave Brubeck, Josh White and a folk group called the We Five. Went backstage before the folkies' show to discover the requisite Chick Singer tuning up their arsenal of 6-strings, twelve strings, banjos ukuleles and pretty much anything with strings on it, in it, around it or near it. Every time she'd get one pretty slick she'd pick a little riff with her fingers - bouncy bass, syncopated lead line, the whole bit.

    Naturally I glommed onto this like a shot and hung around long enough to make a pest of myself, at which point I was invited to leave. My old buddy Pete still tells the story of how I spent the night at his place, and how he stumbled into the front room the next morning to find me still up with his new steel-string guitar, bloody-fingered and triumphant. Listen to this, man!

    Mammaries, mammaries, days of long gone by...Goddam I love that tune.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah... what a GREAT story, Rob. I had a fling with guitars in the way back but gave it up when my buddy tried to teach me the F-chord. My left hand refused to cooperate, prolly from years of holding on to mo'sickle grips. So we contented ourself with being a wannabe fanboi.

    One of the greatest good things about music is how certain tunes can spark those memories, be they good OR bad. I have very distinct memories of the early-to-mid-60s and Dylan plays a prominent part in ALL of them. He's in my A-rank of heroes.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.