Thursday, March 18, 2010

Apropos O' Nuthin'

So, there we were... sittin' outside enjoying one of our premature birthday presents and a cool Franziskaner when a random thought popped into my brain about Partagas-past.  Specifically the Partagas 150, about which:
Lets get the facts out of the way shall we? The Partagas 150 (Signature Series B) weighs in at 6.5 inches with a 47 ring. It features a Cameroon wrapper, Mexican binder and a mix of Dominican and Mexican filler. I’ve seen boxes of 25 of the Signature Series B go for anywhere from $600-$925 and the Partagas 150 are considered one of the rarest or at least the hardest to find cigars. The Partagas 150 was originally released in 1995 to celebrate the 150th Anniversary of the Partagas brand.
I have some experience with this fine cigar, seeing as how I gifted a friend of mine with a box of same for his birthday back in 1995 when they were released.  The going rate at that time was a whole helluva lot less than what they're selling for these days... something on the order of $200.00/box, if memory serves.  Anyhoo, my friend and I burned a couple of these on his deck, sipping on a couple o' fingers of single malt while watching the sun meet the horizon in the way-back.  Those 150s were excellent, not to put too fine a point on it.

Fast-forward to a couple o' few years later when we found ourselves doing the same sorta thing out in San Francisco and reminiscing about fine whiskey, women, and smokes in our past.  My friend brought up the 150s and mentioned, casually, "I wished to hell I'd a known what I had there.  Do you know I burned most of those ridin' around on my mower, doin' the lawn?"   I just laughed and said "Whatever!  As long as ya enjoyed them..."

I shoulda bought a box of those for myself, but I didn't.  I'd a probably smoked 'em all up doin' the lawn, anyway.

Today's soundtrack is some Savoy Brown from the '70s:



Yea, it's a hard way to go...

4 comments:

  1. We had a young man here at the house last night (more on that later or not). I was able to converse with him about good beers thanks to your "happy hour" posts. You have also expanded my music mind. Pretty soon I will be able to talk cigars - sort of.

    vw: outbra - what I wish to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Savoy Brown!

    Tell Mama, and all the folks back home
    Sometimes a man just feels he's got to make it alone


    Good group.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Moogie.

    Lou: I'm glad to be of service, Gentle Lady. We live to serve, in fact. ;-)

    Jim: Yup!

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.