Monday, February 22, 2010

USA v Sweden

In progress, as we speak.  We're putting up a post in their honor, as Mr. Webb suggested.  

Go Ladies... GO!

Update 1:  USA scores with a lil less than eight minutes gone.  One of those fabulous Lamoureux girls strikes again!  Monique, this time.

Update 2:  That was quick... Duggan scores about 20 seconds into the first powerplay of the game.  USA 2, Sweden 0.

Update 3:  Sweden on the powerplay; Duggan takes a tripping penalty to prevent a breakaway.  The PK looks good.

Update 4:  End of the first... US outshooting Sweden 12-3; score is still 2 - 0.  Beer me! 

Update 5:   Ruggiero scores; USA 3, Sweden 0.

Update 6:  USA scores again (Cahow) at 5:58 in the second.  Sweden needs a goalie change before this gets even more out of hand. 

Update 7:  Sweden scores on the powerplay (Winberg) to make it interesting.  This is only the second goal scored on the US women in the tournament.

Update:  Karen Thatcher makes it 5 - 1 USA.  Six minutes left in the second.

Update 9:  End of the second, USA in firm control.

OT... but:
A Winter Storm Warning for heavy snow and blowing snow remains in effect from 5 PM this afternoon to 11 am MST Tuesday.

* Snow accumulations... snowfall accumulations of 4 to 8 inches below 7500 feet can be expected with 6 to 12 inches over the higher terrain of the northern Sacramento Mountains. Locally heavier amounts are likely on the mountain peaks.

* Timing... snow will increase in coverage area and intensity by early evening. Moderate to locally heavy snow will be possible tonight before gradually tapering off during Tuesday morning.

* Winds... northeast winds of 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 40 mph will be common across the region.
 Aiiieee.  Not again...

Update 10:  Monique Lamoureux gets her second goal of the game on the powerplay; 6 - 1 USA.

Update 11:  The hits just keep on comin'... Julie Chu credited with the goal, subject to change.  7 - 1, USA.  Whoops... just changed to Kerry Weiland.  Who knows?

Update 12:  Four on four for a minute, then Sweden on the PP.  USA still in control, outcome not in doubt.  A lil over nine minutes left.

Update 13:  Stack scores, 8 - 1 USA.   A lil over four minutes to go...

Update 14:  Monique gets her hat trick on the PP.  A little over two minutes left. 

Update last:  It looks like US - Canada in a rubber gold medal game unless something absolutely incredible happens later today.  US won gold in '98 and Canada took it over the US in 2002.  This year?  Anyone's guess, but I'm thinkin' it's OUR year!

22 comments:

  1. Not gonna be a runaway, despite the score so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed, but I don't think the outcome is in serious doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Concur.

    It's all that conditioning. (I watched that video in the early AM today...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My two besties are at this game as we speak!! If I could upload pictures of the Game they just emailed me - I would. They are at 3rd row from ice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow... GREAT seats! I am green, green, green...

    ReplyDelete
  6. @KC: I'm jealous. Just got a shot of the USA bench; those girls are STOKED.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Women's hockey is gonna be btw USA & Canada... and I have no clue who will win.

    But speaking of hockey:
    http://www.thescore.com/home/articles/28637-report-change-in-the-crease-for-canada

    ReplyDelete
  8. OOH OOH OOH... I also asked my girls to try to take some pictures of the Lamoureux twins (one or both) if they could... they said they will do what they can! Currently sitting on the side of the Swedhis net.

    No need to be jealous of me - I am stuck at VANOC HQ while they are out taking it all in! *Sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your link doesn't work KC... I get this: "Ruby on Rails application could not be started."

    But... about the pics... COOL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was in Atlanta for the '96 Games.

    It's truly special to experience the Olympics in your hometown.

    I can be jealous of that, can't I?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah... its doing the same to me now... but this is the cache I could get of it:

    Roberto Luongo will replace Martin Brodeur in goal for Canada on Tuesday night during the team's qualification round game against Germany, according to a report by Yahoo Sports.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You had to know this was comin', right? Dunno if you chased the link I put up this morning to Houston's piece, but he thinks Fleury should be in goal. EVERYONE's a critic...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I love having Luongo in nets - I mean come on! This is HIS home ice. With 93% accuracy - that is WHAT WE NEED... and to have our team come together as a TEAM and play the bejezzuz outta the other teams. Go down fighting. We've done it before, and I have faith - we will do it again.

    Oye. I really don't want to have to eat my words. Have done far too much lately.

    ReplyDelete
  14. wwwwww... oooh k. You can be jealous of that!!! LOL... or of the fact that I work FOR the Olympics!!!?? hehehe... great bragging rights if there ever were any!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Luongo is good, no doubt. But I can't help but think Houston has a point. Fleury is the main reason those stinkin' Pens won the Cup last year. He was spectacular. Just sayin'.

    FWIW... MSNBC (a cable channel that carries most of the hockey south of the border) is re-running the final five minutes of last night's game again, as we speak... for about the fifth (no shit) time. I'm as big a booster as they come, but even I'm gettin' a little tired of all this hoopla. We won, it was nice... but c'mon! Enough, already.

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL... I agree... LET IT GO ALREADY!!! Geez!

    ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'll just be the Village Idiot on this hockey love-fest, and tell y'all that I have read through all of these comments.

    I'm sure that if I were a Greek scholar, I might have a half-a-clue as to what y'all are talking about.

    Regardless, it's a hoot to see hockey homers enjoying themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey, Buck. Just watched that poofy ice dancing stuff, and I'm smitten with Tessa Virtue.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Andy: Us hockey nuts are havin' some BIG Fun these days!

    WWW: I missed the ice dancing. Oh, Dang. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Google the young lady. She's exquisite (and the same age as one of my children) :-(

    ReplyDelete
  21. I did and she is. On a related note... You don't really begin to feel bad about that age thing until you catch yourself looking at your GRANDchildren's friends (whom, I must add, are all in their majorities). Then it all comes rushing in. Don't ask how I know.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Some pictures of the hockey game on my page for you guys...! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.