Saturday, February 20, 2010

A Few Things...

... for your Sattiday.  First off... The Hockey News ranks the jerseys in the Olympic tournament.  Here's Numero Uno... or should that be Man Själv?


Team USA came in at number four and Canada was tenth.  I've always liked the Tre Kroner design and it's most fitting for Team Sweden's jersey.  All the rest of the sweaters are pretty cool as well.

―:☺:―

About tomorrow... even the NYT waxes rhapsodic about what we'll be privileged to witness Sunday:
VANCOUVER, British Columbia — Sunday’s Olympic men’s hockey matchup between Canada and the United States is not the end of the world — not quite.
The loser will not be eliminated but will have to play an extra game to get to the quarterfinals. As this tournament has demonstrated, the more games a team plays, the more chances that something unexpected will happen.
Then there are the sociopolitical implications of the Canada-United States game.
"This is going to be unbelievable,” United States Coach Ron Wilson said. “It’s going to be on every TV in Canada and a good number in America. Anyone who is a hockey fan will be watching.
“It’s going to be a great day for hockey.”
That great day includes two other clashes between nations with a mutual history: Russia versus the Czech Republic to start the tripleheader at Canada Hockey Place, and Sweden versus Finland to end it.
The point being, of course, is that all three games are grudge matches as any hockey fan knows.  The US - Canada rivalry is developing into one of sport's greatest spectacles and there's a LOT of national pride on the line.  I wouldn't EVEN begin to predict who's gonna win tomorrow given the extraordinary nature of the intangibles in play.  The same goes for the other Gold Medal Game rematches.  One thing I DO know:  I'll be glued to the teevee for all three games.  I expect to see some of the best hockey the world will EVER see tomorrow.  Wowzers!

―:☺:―

 Here's some linkage I've been meaning to put up for a few days now but haven't been able to work it into the general flow of things.  From ace writer Tunku Varadarajan at The Daily Beast:
The Right's Top 25 Journalists
and...
The Left's Top 25 Journalists
There's a thumbnail description and a picture of each scribbler listed in the articles, rationales for their rankings, and more than a few good links to stuff you may or may not have read.  While Numero Uno on both the right and the left  may surprise, I'm in general agreement with the rankings.  I also read a lot of these pundits with great regularity, on both sides of the divide.  There are also one or two on either side I avoid like the plague... but Hey!  Taste and choice and all that.

All that said, I've been reading Mr. Varadarajan's stuff since I first found him in the pages of the WSJ many moons ago.  He's GOOD.

―:☺:―

We did our best yesterday to make our existence teevee-free and pretty much succeeded up until the Finland - Germany game came on around 2200 hrs, at which time our resolve faded.  I should have maintained my resistance coz the game was a snoozer, what with Finland never leaving any doubt as to who was the better team.  Still and even, a relatively boring hockey game beats most sporting events, hands down.

17 comments:

  1. Not being a hockey fan - sacrilege in these here parts, I know - this is stuff I may settle down to enjoy. Particularly the USA/Canada match-up. National pride indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm picking Canada in tomorrow's match.

    The USA will thank me tomorrow, because I am ALWAYS wrong. I'll be a national hero of sorts...

    As to the 25 most influential Conservative writers...Man, was that a lame-o pic of Breitbart, or what? I'll tell ya'...I am a happily married man of almost 31 years now. But, Michelle, and Anne could tempt me to take on the "cheating" disease. But, Peggy Noonan is the cure for all that.

    And, after I clicked over to the photo gallery, the back button wouldn't let me return to your site.

    I hate junk like that...not your fault...I just had to come back roundabout.

    I did not take the time to view the gallery of LeftWing twatwaffles posing as "journalists." I am planning to eat dinner in a few hours.

    Canada will win. Trust me. (Man, they are SO cursed now.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah, lots of hockey to be drooled over tomorrow. It's a shame the weather will be so nice here, because I'll be indoors from about noon onward.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Breitbart always looks like that, near as I can tell. He does relish a good fight, and he's been pretty busy at CPAC.

    Hockey, hockey, hockey...I might try to find something on TV today. I need to smoke up about 35 pounds of pulled-to-be pork for a benefit we're doing for some friends of ours, along with shoveling out the junk that accumulates in the house over the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Buck's in hockey heaven. Since it is raining today, I may get to see some too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kris: The atmosphere in BC Place... err, whatever it's been renamed... will be ELECTRIC. I just hope the game lives up to its hype and I don't think I'll be disappointed.

    Louisiana Andy: I'll put in a good word for Ms. Noonan. I wouldn't mind spending a long secluded weekend with her holed up in the mountains or on some beach. Life is 90% vertical, after all. I hope your track record on the prognostication curse holds up!

    Seattle Andy: I hear ya bout the weather... today is the last day of moderate WX until we go back into the frickin' snow machine. But I won't miss a minute of the show(s) today!

    Gordon: Heh. My advice would be to defer the shoveling in favor of US - Canada, at the VERY least.

    Lou: "Hockey heaven" indeed! I hope you get to catch some of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And then there is this attack - because we can have enough fuel in the fires of rivalry

    http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancouver/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/Hockey-hate-fest-Canada-doesn-rsquo-t-mind-U-S-?urn=oly,221079

    And honestly - I need to see a win to shut the *beep* outta few Canadian-haters out there that live due South of here. We've - and more specifically - I've been mocked a few times for my citizenship. I want to see that win today. BADLY. It hurts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. grr... sorry. I'm operating on 3 hrs of sleep here and pretending to work at HQ today. I meant to say:

    WE CAN'T HAVE ENOUGH FUEL IN THE FIRES OF RIVALRY.

    oh boy.
    It's gonna be an emotionally long day! I'm sooo exhausted!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heh! Buck, as far as Peggy Noonan goes.

    Well, Shirley Q. always says, "To each they own." I know what you mean, though. It would be an intellectually stimulating weekend.

    I think I was sundowning when I wrote that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw, KC, we don't hate you because you're Canuckian.

    We hate you because you're beautiful, smart, witty, charming and Canuckian.

    And because you dip your fries in gravy. That's just perverse.

    One should dip chicken-fried steak fingers in gravy. Anything else is, well, Canuckian.

    ReplyDelete
  11. HEHEHE... awwhh you sweet talking American, Gordon! That just made my day!

    Oh... and btw - in some parts of Canuckland - of which I lived 13 years... not only do we dip our fries in gravy BUT we also have it with curd cheese!! It's called a poutine. Will clog your arteries but damn, its sooooooooo good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Heck, I'm a Louisianian, and we dip our fries in gravy.

    Doesn't everybody? Ketchup is for little kids, and old ladies.

    Just sayin'...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now Andy... what I find peverse is when people add Ketchup to their fries and gravy. That's just gross. But such people exist.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ain't it the truth! Gag me with a popsicle stick!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't have much... if anything... to add to the foregoing. Except to say that there ain't much, if any "Canada hating" goin' on in these parts. Rivalry, yes. Hating, no.

    And Andy... don't think I'm thinkin' on an entirely intellectual plane where Peggy is concerned. Just sayin'. The things we find stimulating change a bit with age. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Andy is from Louisiana and dips his fries in gravy.

    What is another name for someone from Louisiana? Cajun, of course. And the root of Cajun is Canuckian.

    I rest my case.

    And I am listening to the game online as I type. The Canuckians just tied it 2-2.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Heh! Gordon, actually I'm a redneck hayseed from the northern part of Louisiana, not a cajun.

    But, my Great Grandmother was a full-blown Coonass. Laura Farque'...Died at 104, and could whip anybody's backside at 102.

    Gravy is good on French Fries. Give 'er a try.

    BTW...I'm actually watching the US v. Canuck hockey match thingy. Team USA is up 3-2 now, with two more quarters to go. (I'll keep ya' in the loop)

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.