Saturday, January 02, 2010

So... Things Still LOOK the Same

You can take the post title literally or figuratively... either way works... although it probably is too soon to tell in the figurative sense.  A quick scan of memeorandum this morning reveals the situation is still dire in all respects, fingers are still being pointed in all directions, and we're still politically correct to a fault.  Speaking of being PC... there was this lil goodie:

DENVER - It's a reminder that the emails you send at work, can sometimes come back to haunt you.

At least one CDOT employee is being investigated for sending an inappropriate email featuring President Barack Obama and Vice-Presidential candidate Sarah Palin. 

When we got our hands on the email Tuesday, we immediately contacted CDOT. 

They tell us at least one employee could be fired for this. 

"We're taking this very seriously," said Mindy Crane, Spokesperson for CDOT. 

The title of the email is "Picture of the year" and the photo of Obama and Palin inside may be considered as racially charged and offensive.
OK... the photo is in questionable taste and I'm not denying that some people could interpret the photo as "racist."  But OTOH, is forwarding the above picture a firing offense?  And on the other, other hand are we all just too damned sensitive?  I'm thinking the answers are "no" and "yes."  YMMV.

In news of the personal... We took advantage of the weather yesterday... which was gorgeous for this time o' year... to sit outside with a beer and a cigar after the Winter Classic and before the Rose and Sugar Bowls.  I thoroughly enjoyed the Winter Classic... especially all the hoopla surrounding the game.  There were quite a few good "atmosphere" pieces, including interviews with hockey-heroes-past from both the Bruins and the Flyers, along with a good piece featuring three members of the 1980 "Miracle" Olympic team.  And Fenway looked spectacular all decked out for hockey.  As for the game itself?  Not so much, until the last three minutes of regulation and the subsequent overtime.  There was no scoring in the first period, Philly scored early in the second, and Boston tied it up with about two and a half minutes left in the third.  Prior to the last minute home-team heroics there was precious little excitement... just a defensive duel and a few expertly killed power plays on the part of the Bees' defensive unit.  And one short fight.  But... I suppose it all ended as it should: the home team comes from behind and wins it in OT.  Easy for me to say, what with not having a dog in this particular fight and a decidedly different take on my part where last year's Winter Classic is concerned.  The Beloved Wings were last year's visiting team... and they won.  Which is as it should be when the Wings play.

As for the Bowl games?  Snoozers, both of 'em.  The Fetid Buckeyes* dominated the aquatic fowl from the rainy end of the Pacific Northwest and Cincinnati had no business being in the same state, let alone the same stadium as the Gators.  There wasn't much doubt as to the outcome of either game when the teams went into the locker room at the half and I went to sleep.  Repeatedly.  I did manage to stay half-awake for both games, which I consider a major accomplishment given the snooze factor involved.  Let's hope the remaining bowl games are better.


* "It derives its unflattering common name from the disagreeable odor generated from the flowers, crushed leaves, broken twigs, or bruised bark.  A similar disagreeable odor emanates from the college football team carrying the same informal appellation." -- The Wiki (with some added minor... albeit truthful... editorial license)

9 comments:

  1. Buck, you read too much encyclopedia as a youngster. Obviously.

    You lost me on "fetid." Just saying...

    Yet, I am in total agreementish stuff with the falling asleep deal. I was "out" mid-second-quarter of the Sugar Bowl. Too much cabbage & purple hulled peas, I reckon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, BTW...I like that photo of O'Bozo, and Sarah. Sheesh! Doesn't ANYBODY have a sense of humor anymore?

    Stupid question, I know...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the Palin-Obama picture is a hoot. Sorry to all the PC crowd - but you people just need to lighten up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andy and Sharon: I liked the pic, too... which is why I posted it, in addition to tweaking the PC crowd. And the woman in danger of losing her job? She's a registered DEMOCRAT. Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think the photo is any more offending than other politcial cartoon. My mom showed me a similar photo (obviously photo shopped) of Obama and his wife dressed as a pimp and his woman. My mom insisted that it was a "real" photo, and she got mad when my sister and I said that it was a joke. There is a generation of people who just don't understand what someone can do with photos these days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The picture is only offensive to the left. If O were a Republican and Sarah were a Democrat, they would find it to be hysterical.

    With that said, I never forward any such emails from my work email. I just delete them unread. Even if you rule out the potential offensiveness, it does risk wandering into the misuse of employer property.

    Just sayin'...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yup, I'm with BR. You don't send stuff like that from a work email. Same sort of shenanigans like the officer out at the Academy who got into trouble for sending religious crap from his .mil address.

    That said, I think the picture is hilarious, but I like racial/religious/gender/etc humor...the more offensive the better. I think there are probably a fair amount of people out there who would be offended regardless of the political orientation of those involved (same sort of people who think South Park is nothing but crass filth when it's actually some of the best and more biting political humor out there...but anyway). But there are definitely an equally large number of people out there who are offended because of the respective places of the -D and -R, like BR said.

    Parting shot...wasn't the O supposed to be the "post-racial" President anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lou: I think it's mostly us geezers, or more specifically us geezers that don't spend a lot of time on the 'net, that don't get P-Shop. I'm very critical of stuff I suspect to be P-shopped, which is MOST of what I see these days.

    BR and Mike: Roger that on the bid'niz/personal e-mail. I can't say I didn't send anything out from my business account, but I was pretty danged careful about what I did send.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Classic was amazingly so, at least for us B's fans. Woo-Hoo! Best ending ever! And the intro of Tim Thomas as an Olympian was fairly heartwarming, too. A touch of snow was the only thing missing.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.