Sunday, January 10, 2010

I've Been Hacked

I had to delete all posts up to the one just below this which may or may not be everything that was changed overnight... I haven't had time to go through all my old stuff.  I'll have to give whoever did the dirty deed credit, though...  they have a good handle on my writing style.  They edited my last four or five posts and republished them, making me look like an asshat of the first order.  While that may in fact be true, my asshattery is distinctly my own and ain't quite what my hacker "friends" believe it to be.
I may be able to recover and repost some of the last day or so's  work by recreating old posts from my Word archive, or by checking other sources... like cached pages on the web.  In the meantime I need to check other things to make sure it was only the blog that was hacked and nothing else.

Update, 1415 hrs.:   From an e-mail I sent to blog-bud Andy in Loosyana:
It looks like only the blog was hacked, everything else is well and there are no signs of maliciousness or damage to my PC or its contents.  This sorta thing really pisses me off though.  I had been awake most of the night but not on the computer... at oh-dark-thirty I put my book down and went to check mail before going to bed, only to find the posts that you sent (cached?) had been hacked.  So, mayhem and panic ensued, of course.  I spent the next two hours going through all my stuff, changing passwords, running virus scans, and ending by putting up that "I've Been Hacked" post.  Then I went to bed, one tired and pissed-off puppy.
I've just now rolled out and I'm probably more pissed this afternoon than I was when I went to bed this morning.  To make matters worse, today would be a nice day to be puttering around outside rather than indoors drinking my first cup and contemplating blog-restoration strategies, as it's quite nice outdoors.  Ah, well.  This, too, shall pass.

Update II, 1510 hrs:  All better now.  Well... the blog is, kinda-sorta.  All comments left on the hacked posts will remain MIA.  I'm still pissed.

15 comments:

  1. Hey Buck, I read those posts on my GoogleReader. I don't think they're the asshat ones. I can e-mail you the texts if you want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. why would someone DO that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pain in the 6 this has to be, and for what, some kind of "fun" this has to be. Why don't they go pick on a web site like Media Matters or White House.Gov.

    I hope you get all the original stuff back Buck and that no other infiltration occurred.

    BT: Jimmy T sends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WTF? I didn't see anything that looked any different.

    Ohhhhh, are you trying to say the naked lady pictures weren't from you?

    Or maybe you irritated the Chinese people by putting up pictures of the wall?

    Or maybe you had a new kind of beer and it changed the way you write? Hey, I'm just trying to give some suggestions, ya know!

    Hope everything is ok, tho. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the kind thoughts, all y'all. Most appreciated. And now I have to get to work and restore my old stuff...

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a pain in the ass. And you had deconstructed that "Morgan" person so beautifully too. Literally. You made me want to gain lots of weight, it was liberating.

    I was going to link to that whole subject today too but I'll wait, it's no biggie (get it?)

    Just trying to cheer you up :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for this, Alison. I REALLY appreciate it! I'm in the process of reconstructing the blog, as we speak...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Once again you prove to be someone important in the blog-world. Most amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh man, that has to suck. Sorry about the MIA comments though...what a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lou: I'm VERY small beer in the blogworld. I remain amazed and mystified someone, anyone, would go to all that trouble just to piss me off. But I got off lucky. A couple of years ago someone hijacked Mike Fay's blog ("Fire and Ice"), changed his password, and posted humongous amounts of spam onhis original site. Mike went through six different kinds of Hell getting his stuff back.

    Kris: Agreed, but as noted above: I got off lucky, relatively speaking.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, this sucks! I wonder why somebody would hack your blog :( Was anything maicious said?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Buck; If you're hiding the nudie photos... out with 'em!

    I missed your blog over the weekend due to overindulgence and freezing. Mostly freezing.

    Nudie photos would be nice...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Damn, Buck, that sucks. Glad to hear things appear better now, though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Buck - so sorry that this happened to you. Absolutely no-one should have to go through being hacked -- and it's usually by some coward who loves all the fuss he/she causes and still remains anonymous.
    Can anyone trace this person(s)?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Crysti: Nothing malicious, unless you count substituting my usual right-wing views with leftist moonbat BS. That's just irritating.

    Darryl: We're a PG blog here. That semi-demure nekkid plus-size gal is about as racy as it's gonna get.

    Jim: Thanks.

    Sharon: I gave sitemeter a SERIOUS scrutinizing with a trace in mind, but saw nothing untoward. I'm thinking I was hacked at the source, e.g., on Blogger's servers.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.