Monday, November 16, 2009

We Ain't Got Much Today

What a helluva way to begin our fifth year, eh?  We are singularly uninspired today and this does not bode well for our future endeavors.  But: stuff happens occasionally.  I blame it in part on nicotine deprivation... more about which, below.  Here's today's meager pickings:

Via Cassandra, humor for the over-educated.  A sample of same:
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.
Yeah... it's all Greek Latin to me!

While we're linking stuff... you should trot over to Gordon's place for a cool video reconstructing Capt. Sullenburger's masterful landing in the Hudson River... and all that preceded it.  I'd post it myself but (a) I'm too lazy and (b) I've had enough of stealing other people's finds.  For the moment, anyhoo.  I'll be back in character tomorrow or perhaps the next day.

―:☺:― 

So... we received an e-mail from our Good Bud Tim at cigar.com this morning, advising us that Davidoff White Label cigars are now available.  I dunno about you, Gentle Reader, but it'll be a cold day in Hell the proverbial hottest of hot places before I'll drop northwards of $15.00 for a single cigar... any damned cigar.  Yeah, I have done so in the past but it was only for contraband.  And very rarely, too.
―:☺:― 

We had our first hard freeze last night and that is a great good thing where fly control is concerned.  Sitting outdoors this afternoon will be a chilly experience but there won't be many, if any, flies to speak of.  And chilly is OK with me... that's why we have sweaters and sweatshirts in our wardrobe.

We will probably kick off Happy Hour earlier than usual today, as well.  Yesterday was not a nice day and we canceled Happy Hour altogether.  Thus: a small amount of pent up demand is in evidence here at El Casa Móvil De Pennington.  We did celebrate our blogoversary with three fingers of single malt... administered in multiple applications.... but passed on the cigar.  Oops.  So much for the "All-American" blogger claim, eh?

And now if you'll excuse me... I hear a beer calling my name. 

4 comments:

  1. We give you permission to indulge in a little non-American commerce of the Happy Hour variety.

    Or a latin catapult. I hope the thugs in New Orleans don't discover the awesome fear-factor inspired by catapults. At least we don't have a lot of rocks lying around. Just crunched concrete. Hilarious.

    Veriword is "porms." Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are expecting our first possible freeze tonight. I picked green tomatoes out of the garden and more peppers than all of Hatch. What was I thinking?

    Someone asked me today how I liked this cold weather. I replied that I loved it. It seems to give me energy - hence the garden.

    word verification: doido - me for picking all those tomatoes and peppers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First freeze? We got our first snow last week (about a month and a half later than usual). Now we're having our first stretch of sub zero temps..guess that's the Great White North.

    Could be worse though...I could be at Eielson, land of the -70.

    By the way, check your email for an amusing protocol anecdote.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Moogie: Thanks for the dispensation/indulgence! Happy Hour was brief yesterday, albeit enjoyable. And you're right about catapults!

    Lou: Cool, crisp weather IS invigorating! I relate to your garden story, too. I did the same sort of thing in a previous life...

    Mike: There ain't a whole lot of difference between -5 and -70... except you die quicker at -70. I don't envy you your weather, ESPECIALLY given the nature of the work you do. But, Hey! "Builds character," and all that. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.