Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Of This World...

I think this is kinda cool:



More here if you like this time-lapse thing… including an interesting video of Manhattan Island.  Watching this particular video, however, makes one wonder why there aren't many more marine collisions.

―:☺:―

I've been sorta depressed of late, even though I hate to use that term because of all the negative baggage that comes with it. I recently learned through roundabout means that life has delivered a crushing blow to a lady who used to be near and dear to me. The woman's brother has been diagnosed with a rare form of leukemia, which amounts to being sentenced to a slow and painful death that will play out over the course of the next year. The man is only 55 and has two teen-aged daughters, which makes things worse… if that's possible. And there's not much that I or anyone can do, other than commiserate.

My heart goes out to the lady and her brother in equal amounts even though the man and his immediate family will experience the greater loss. I worry for my lady friend, however. While her public face is one of strength and stoicism I know her private persona to be the sort that is sensitive and slow to heal. Her brother is the sole remaining member of her immediate family and she will take this hard. I'm not the praying sort, but what passes for prayer in my world is focused on all involved in this tragedy.

I know life isn't fair… all of us have our trials and tribulations… and not one of us gets out of here alive. Still and even, an event like this makes me think that a quick exit from this vale of tears is the best we can hope for. Death is inevitable, but it really sucks to know one's expiration date well in advance. For all concerned.

12 comments:

  1. Oh.
    Full agreement.

    I hope that some sort of modern miracle can break the hold of this blood borne life taker.

    Good things can still happen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS; I just watched that great video. I like how you can see the sailboat race start, spinnaker class, non-spin and cruiser fleets.

    I presume that it is Angel Island. (I don't have audio on this computer)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's Hamilton Island Marina... wherever that is... according to NatGeo. And thanks for your kind words, Darryl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a praying man, and one is being said now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bodies are fragile things. Sending strength and prayers for all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heh! They did all that without a traffic cop?

    Buck, I know what you're sayin'. My father-in-law died with Multiple Myeloma...or at least the complications (congestive heart failure, breaking bones, etc.). It was pure hell for my wife...and really for all of the family.

    At least they had each other to hang on to. For what my prayers are worth these days, your friend has got them.

    I'm with ya' on the quick exit deal. K.D. hung on for 13 years, just KNOWING he was gonna beat it. But none of us will.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like Suldog, I am a praying man, and I will keep you friend and her family in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Buck I am so sorry to hear your news. I'll keep you and your friend in my thoughts and prayers for peace of heart and mind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the video - like Andy, I wonder how they do it without a traffic cop or red lights.

    I avoided your topic yesterday - tough one. There is something to be said about knowing death is coming - maybe we would all make more of the life given to us. On the other hand, I don't think I would like it very much, and cancer is so very awful. I will be praying for your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all for your kind comments. Your prayers and thoughts help more than you could possibly know.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Life was never meant to be fair, but it's a rotten bitch when we watch the ones we love suffer to the end.

    You're friend and her brother will be on my nightly prayer list.

    You too, Buck. I like it that you care so much for this woman, it tells me worlds about the measure of the man I call my friend.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.