Sunday, November 01, 2009

Today's Happy Hour Soundtrack



"Yellow." Mellow. That would be us during today's Happy Hour, which… given the time change… we kicked off much earlier than usual.  Sitting outside with our feet up, cigar in hand and drinking in early afternoon will reinforce, no doubt, our neighbors' perception of us as an irreconcilable reprobate. I flatter myself by thinking the neighbors actually think of us at all, which I'm quite sure they don't. Still and even, drinking in mid-afternoon on a Sunday isn't quite in keeping with the gestalt of the High Plains of New Mexico, given our frickin' Blue Laws and such. It's illegal to buy alcohol on Sunday in these parts, and that includes a simple glass of wine with dinner, should one choose to dine out on a Sunday. I frickin' HATE that!

All that said… both yesterday and today were brilliant Fall days, which is to say warm, clear and beautiful. We saddled up Miss Zukiko and went for a ride around the countryside late this morning before coming back and indulging in Happy Hour. There aren't many of such days left this year, I'm afraid. So: we're taking advantage of them as best we can.

―:☺:―

Miscellaneous bitches, moans, and complaints department: Have all y'all seen that obnoxious AARP ad? The one that features the "with-it" 60-something dude who begins the ad by saying "the sixties were a time of freedom… and so are MY 60s" and then proceeds to flog Medicare Advantage insurance from AARP...complete with flashbacks of his sixties-era girlfriend with the long, ironed blonde hair, presumably now his pixie-coiffed wife? And shots of him and said girlfriend in front of their VW van (quick cut to today's minivan... OMG), and him on his motorcycle… ultimately cutting to politically-correct pics of him and the family in the present… on frickin' bicycles? God forbid we should still ride mo'sickles in our 60s, right? And then there are the oh-so-cute grandchildren. Kee-RIST. Spare me. Please. I can't find the mute button fast enough…

I spent quite a while over my morning coffee searching all the video sites for that commercial, but: no joy. Which is probably a Good Thing… coz if you've seen the ad you know exactly what I'm on about. And if you haven't seen it… well, your day has been spared a serious downer. I'm thinking the world will be a MUCH better place when all the Boomers are dead. Things are only gonna get worse in the ad-space and other cultural forums as time goes on, however. Aiiieee.

Full disclosure: I am NOT a Boomer, given as how I was born in 1945. So: I'm entitled to bitch about 'em. And Boy-Howdy… I most certainly do and will continue to do so.  Self-obsessed wankers.

―:☺:―

One more from this afternoon's soundtrack:

I loves me some Norah.  Yeah... I'd go away with her at the drop of a frickin' hat.  Sooner, even.

11 comments:

  1. It most certainly was a beautiful weekend!! I spent yesterday at football games then trick or treating, then today washing and vacuuming the expedition. Absolutely beautiful weather!! Shame it won't last for long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The weather broke here today but its been gorgeous of late. Glad you had a great weekend.

    You made me laugh out loud about that ad. I love laughing at adverts. Usually I fast forward or mute them. Occasionally though I love them (old but good)

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c81yN7i4rks&feature=related

    Thanks for the Coldplay. I adore their stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And the making of that ad is just as cool!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz0Zadr0_Kc&feature=related

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was beautiful yesterday and even more perfect today. We played with the GGs who love being outside at the Lazy B. Toby was busy doing some plumbing and was jeoulous of your mo-sickle ride.

    I've been listening to a bit of Nora lately.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can relate Buck. I was born in 1954 and am a "baby boomer" NOT. I refuse to buy off on that mindless drivel. The gentleman in question in the aarp add is not even close to us. Sort of like all my HS classmates that are still driving trains out of Havre and/or working the diesel and car shops. UTU, Teamsters, BMOW and IBEW protected species. Not much use for shit like that. And I still miss my CB450K5 with ape hangers and reverse trumpet mufflers. That old vertical twin cam could make serious noise.
    On a happier note, we are in SoCal at the sister-in-law's house. Starting the house search in the Desert tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenny: Ya, it WAS beauteous. Snow last week, 70+ degrees this weekend. Gotta love it!

    Alison: Thanks for those links! I liked the "making of" one best. I'm a sucker for stuff like that...

    Lou: Tell Toby I said "all work and no play (yadda yadda)"! But I understand what weekends are really for when ya do that nine-to-five thing...

    Glenn: You point up the pitfalls of generalizing and your point is well-taken. Not every Boomer is a clue-free self-indulgent idiot, but that generation seems to have more than its share, no? And there seems to be NO lack of advertising people willing to pander to 'em, either.

    The CB-450 was a GREAT bike. I knew lotsa guys who owned 'em and I've thrown my leg over a couple, as well. I owned a CL-350 in the way-way-back... mistakenly thinking it was really a dirt bike. It wasn't. I got tired of picking that heavy sumbitch up all the time and got rid of it in favor of a Yamaha DT-1, which was better suited for the dirt.

    I'm glad to hear you arrived safely out in SoCal. Say "hi" to Edwards for me! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I forgot to mention that while the GGs were here, the little one asked if she could ride the motorcycle. She knew it was the perfect day for it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heh. "Out of the mouths of babes..." :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. As a Boomer, I apologize for my entire generation. We suck.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a late Boomer - 1963. Generally speaking I agree with Suldog - we do suck. But since I was born at the tail-end of the phenom, I reserve the right to exclude myself from the self-absorbed group.

    I can't see the vids from where I am (work) but I take it they were Coldplay and Norah Jones.

    Ah yes - all good stuff there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jim: You're right about the boomers. I'd be one too, had I been born just a lil bit later.

    Kris: Yep... right on both counts about the vids. And... 1963? You PUPPY, you! :D

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.