Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Autumn

Well. There I was, reveling in the wonderful weather we were having yesterday afternoon and it was wonderful, indeed, with emphasis on the past tense. Sometime around 1730 hrs a front moved in, complete with the Hellish sort of winds one only experiences on the High Plains... and I'm talking winds of the 50 mph sort. And a little rain. And a BIG drop in temperature, as well... notice the forecast above.

We got our little ceramic heater out last evening and put on an extra blanket, too. All in all, yesterday's events were appropriate and timely for today's Autumnal Equinox... it looks like Fall has well and truly arrived. My favorite time of year!

―:☺:―

Speaking of "favorite time of year"... Hockey season kicks off in a little over a week. The season openers begin on October 1, with Colorado raising Joe Sakic's number 19 to the rafters of the Pepsi Center in Denver. I'll be watching that because I've admired Joe for years and years... and cursed him almost as often, too, as he did a LOT of damage to my Beloved Wings over the years. Still and even, Joe Sakic was a lot like that other number 19, and it was a pleasure to watch those two guys go head to head. I think the Avalanche are really gonna miss Super Joe, as he has no heir-apparent. There's gonna be a BIG hole to fill in Colorado...

The Wings open in Europe this year, playing their first two games against St. Louis in Stockholm. The first game (Oct. 2) will be televised, the second one will not. But hey... at least we'll have back-to-back "hockey nights in Portales" next week... My favorite time of year!


―:☺:―  

Today's Pic:  Seasonal, we are... a suitably autumnal photo from days gone by... to wit: YrHmblScrb in Letchworth State Park near Rochester, NY.  The Fall of 1999, complete with an amusing attempt at a regimental mustache.

12 comments:

  1. I like the 'stache Buck and I knew that was Letchworth before I even read it.

    Tis that time of year indeed, nothing like Fall around these parts. I love NY...well, the land and the people...the other stuff just plain sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome picture! We just don't get fall color like that here in pville, do we?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My fave time of year as well. New England is the perfect place to be (upstate NY coming in a close 2nd).

    Sun is still warm-ish here. Air is cool. Nights are getting cooler still. The leaves are just starting to turn.

    And now that I'm physically healed I can finally - after years of abandonment - return to my first artistic love. My camera. Just in time for the glorious show that Mom Nature will be putting on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOCKEY!!! I didn't realize the 1st was so close at hand. My schedule will be cleared next Thursday and Friday nights (and probably their subsequent mornings), to be sure

    ReplyDelete
  5. tim: There are two times I miss Ra-cha-cha terribly... Fall and Spring. Fall for its beauty and Spring because... well, everything comes ALIVE. And I'm sure you know exactly what I mean.

    Jenny: Nope... we have to drive quite a ways to see stuff like that!

    Kris: Fall in New England IS magnificent. I'm looking forward to your pics.

    Andy: Yup... next week!! FINALLY.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's freezing here at night - awake to an ice strip across the field - but still hitting 70-80 days - and soon, the wood stove!

    Upstate NY in the Fall is BEAUTY

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE the pic! (And the 'stache ain't bad!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good to read you recovered from your cold and life is good. Lovely pic. I like the tache!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cynthia: We haven't had our first freeze yet, but I'm thinkin' it ain't far off. We're supposed to get near 70 today, which is a good thing!

    Moogie: Thank ya, Ma'am!

    Alison: We're not out of the woods yet with the cold, but the meds have the symptoms in check.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry to hear that. Me neither. I have a baaad sore throat and flu like symptoms. Making me cranky. Good day for politics :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aiiieee. I relate, Alison... oh, HOW I relate! I hope you feel better, soonest.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Other Number 19. At first I thought you were talkingabout Larry Robinson.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.