Wednesday, August 05, 2009

A Few Odds and Ends... as Usual

Government medical care that works (from today's AFA Daily Report):

(Photo as captioned here) Three Air Force aircraft, together with multiple aircrew, aeromedical evacuation teams, and agencies from around the world, came together in late July 2009 to transfer a seriously wounded British soldier from Afghanistan to Germany so that he could receive upgraded medical care. The soldier arrived at Ramstein Air Base on Aug. 2, 2009, and as of Aug. 4, 2009, was listed in critical condition in a university hospital. Here, in another scenario, airmen prepare to offload patients from a bus onto a C-17 at Ramstein for transfer to the US for further medical treatment, April 21, 2009. Air Force photo by A1C Grovert Fuentes-Contreras

Just Another Day at the Office: Two Air Force C-17s and one C-130, along with multiple aircrews, aeromedical evacuation teams, and agencies from around the world, came together in late July to help save the life of a British soldier who was seriously wounded in Afghanistan. This soldier had sustained multiple gunshot wounds to the abdomen and chest. Medical personnel determined that he had to be taken to Germany for upgraded care. Immediately, Air Mobility Command officials sprang into action to coordinate the complex task of the patient's move. "Not only did we have to find a plane and crew to fly the patient out of theater, but also we had to find another plane and aircrew to get the right medical personnel and equipment into Afghanistan because we needed specialized medical teams to care for the patient in-flight," said Col. John Martins, director of operations of the 618th Tanker Airlift Control Center at Scott AFB, Ill. Despite the Herculean challenge, the patient was on a C-17 heading to Ramstein Air Base within 22 hours of the first call for help. He arrived at Ramstein on Aug. 2, and as of Aug. 4 was at a university hospital in Germany in critical condition—but alive. "When you look at the requirements we had, its awe inspiring to see how many people will come together to save one life," said MSgt. Keyser Voigt, an aeromedical evacuation mission controller in the TACC. (Scott report by Capt. Justin Brockhoff)

That's one helluva story, innit? And very typical… God Bless our medics.

―:☺:―

Late to the party… (from yesterday's AFA Daily Report)

New Reaper Unit: Air Force Special Operations Command activated the 33rd Special Operations Squadron last Friday at Cannon AFB, N.M. The Clovis News Journal reported that day that the new unit will operate the MQ-9 Reaper unmanned aerial vehicle, which is already playing an important role in countering the Taliban in Afghanistan and insurgents in Iraq. "This unit is more than ready to answer our nation's call to duty," said Lt. Col. Michael Bruzzini, the squadron commander, at the activation ceremony. He added, "The MQ-9 is an awesome platform, but it is these individuals that will make our enemies truly fear the Reaper." Bruzzini said the squadron's members spent six months getting ready for the activation, operating out of no less than five locations to learn Reaper tactics, techniques, and procedures and mold themselves into a cohesive fighting force. AFSOC already operates the 3rd SOS, an MQ-1 Predator UAV unit, out of Cannon.

I never made it to the party, actually. That's one of the problems with being retarded retired… The Cool Kids never ask you to their parties anymore. But occasionally you get to shoot the breeze with one of 'em.

Apropos of nothing… I've yet to see either a Reaper or a Pred in the skies over P-Ville or on the ramp out at Cannon Airplane Patch. They must be stealthy lil buggers.

Really apropos of nothing… There was a C-130 droning around overhead just before I shot "The Birds" last evening, and I thought ever-so-briefly about beginning the video then (you know: there are birds and then there are BIRDS). There was just one lil problem: the groundsfolks were also droning around on their spiffy John Deere, one lot over from me. I use the term "droning" in reference to the Deere loosely… "roaring around" would be more like it. Dunno what it is about guys and riding mowers… but I used to be the same way with mine. On the straights, of course. One always slows down in the turns and around the trees. If one has half a brain.

―:☺:―

So… I was looking at a Site Meter record and the google search that drove him to EIP… some guy googled "Nica Libre cigar reviews"… and I stumbled upon Teresa, aka The Smoking Hot Cigar Chick:

Whaddaya think? Hot? Or not? I'm of the opinion that women who smoke cigars ARE hot. Before you jump to conclusions… remember what Freud said: "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."

―:☺:―

Speaking of hot — Here's another in a series of occasional conversations with Sweet Young Thangs. So, there I was… standing in a line of two at the Local Liquor Mart, me and this twenty-something chica who… from all appearances… must have been one helluva swimmer (based upon my casual observation of her obvious lung capacity). We were waiting for the clerk to ring me up. I'd run out of single-malt Monday evening and didn't feel like making the 28-mile roundtrip out to the Class VI Store, and an adolescent bottle of Glenfiddich (a sprightly 15-year old) is actually about a fin cheaper than what Balvenie of the same age costs out at Cannon. Ergo, laziness (and expedience) being the Mom of Invention… there I was. Still and even, Glenfiddich ain't cheap. The stage is set.

She: Is that whiskey?
Me: Yup.
She: Is it good?
Me: Yup… most definitely.
She: Well, it should be… for the price!
Me: (winking) Darlin, when you get to be my age you don't cut corners on what few pleasures remain.
She: (Big-Ass grin)

Two things in play here… (1) I'm afraid I'm turning into one of those irritating geezers who play the age card at every freakin' opportunity. I HATE that, but I can't seem to help myself. (2) One of these days I'm gonna follow up on these smiles I get. Read as (substituting the following for my last response above): "Would you like to come back to my place, sit on the verandah and sample a couple o' fingers of this most-excellent whiskey?" Or some such.

On the one hand, I'm probably just an approachable, kindly old grandfather type... the most-likely scenario. OTOH, "nothing ventured, nothing gained"... as it's said. On the other, other hand... I'm not in the habit of writing checks with my mouth that my ass can't cash. That girl could've HURT me, and I mean that in the best possible way.

21 comments:

  1. Yeah -- Smokin'Hot definitely has the self-loving meter running. I'd say she could benefit (in a few quick years) from some supportive foundation garments. Trust me on this.

    I think I'll rub to Rouse's and grab a single malt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Dr. Freud -- "run" to Rouse's!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always love a big ass grin, Buck. They smooth out the day into something extra nice.

    Scratch that grandfather bullshit, I'd do you in a heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Buck all that effort for a British solder (they would have done the same for one of ours) but the poor lad, once he gets back to the Queens soil he will be left in the hands of his Government Health Services and I fear all the effort to save him will be for not. Some committee will decide what he will be entitled to in the way of health service and lifetime benefits. Same for us here I fear.

    BT: Jimmy T sends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a Brit I 100% disagree JimmyT. Plus our Brit medics have been doing their serious bit for American casualties on numerous occasions out there. I blogged it recently. I'm proud of our men, our services there in the field and here. The NHS saved my mums life for starters. They were utterly brilliant. And frankly the only thing that makes me sick these days is hearing Americans slag our NHS services off!

    Get off him Daphne, he's mine! ;) Plus I smoke cigars.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I meant to add GREAT post Buck.

    I WISH our blogs and the papers would feature more of the great back slapping you guys dish out - maybe we wouldn't just get left with the bad news stories in the papers which in no way adequately cover our tremendous efforts over there, including in the medical set up where they've cared for all nationalities including your boys in the last few months. Why don't we talk ourselves up a bit. I dunno. We manage it on TV which has had some great coverage but it never gets into the papers which is what you guys read. Michael Yon is good in covering us I suppose.

    I'm a member of Help for Heroes btw an organisation which gives vast sums of support to our injured men. My best friend Bernie, a marine, was over there last year. He lost his leg. He is getting the most amazing care here with the most incredible advanced methods for helping him recover. On the NHS.

    It's not that bothers him at all. It's his anger at not being able to get back out there to lead his men.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry for crapping on. The man's on my mind today as I got an email earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It wasn't the cigar so much as the way she bounced when she talked...I could have watched that a little longer, but then she changed positions...darn!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not really into gals that smoke, myself. Although there is the adage that if a gal will stick a cigarette in her mouth, she just may stick anything in there.

    Ahem...

    Good on the medics. Unsung heroes all.

    Play the age card all you want, Buck. You're retired, so have fun my friend. And, like you said, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

    ReplyDelete
  10. virgil xenophon05 August, 2009 23:42

    BUCK/

    LOL! I find myself playing that geezer role too!! And your right, must be some form of perverse pleasure, 'cause I virtually can't help myself, either! I guess just another form of the increasingly long-lost art of "flirting" just for the sake/fun of it alone. (well, not ALL the time..) Was a high art--a sign of social sophistication, really--during my college days at LSU 62-66. The ability to be able to carry on polite sexual "banter" was much admired and gained one high status marks among the "in-crowd." (GOD--now THERE"S a dated term!)

    Lets face it I ARE and/or IS
    a geezer! Just am glad I haven't reached the total fossilization stage, yet. LOL. I told someone the other day that, having reached 65 this May, I'm thinking of changing my call-sign to "The Fighting Fossil." Or do I have to wait another decade to qualify? Suggestions? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The cigar chick didn't do a thing for me - she did remind me of what I dislike about Giada on "Everyday Italian" - that silly "I'm so excited" voice.

    If someone has to ask, "Is that whiskey...Is it good" chances are they are not the sharpest knife in the drawer. But chances are intelligence is not what you were looking for.

    I love the Air Force story.

    ReplyDelete
  12. C-130s...noise makers surpreme. I think I still have hearing problems from when I took one from Tan Son Nhut to Nha Trang...and that's been 40 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Alison, I did not mean to disparage the work done to any of the Men and Women wounded in action in either Iraq or Afghanistan and yes, I do believe the various partner countries contribute medical personnel and material that is available to all members of the Armed Forces of any country. They all do a remarkable Job and I am one that is very happy they do so as I have a Son in the Nawa District of Helmand province right now.
    My issues is what I see with any Government run system and in particular the Health Care system. That first class medical service our Fighting forces receive ends when they are discharged and must then rely on the Veterans Administration here in the U.S. And that is not the worst of the U.S. Government health services just ask any Native American who is under the “care” of the IHS, the Indian Health Services. This agency has been caring for the Native Americans in this country for the last 112 years and they have the worst health of any Americans. The highest rate diabetes, coronary/heart related health issues, obesity and alcoholism. They have the highest infant mortality rate and as a group they live 12 years less than any other ethnic group. The genocide of the American Indian continues under the IHS.
    And the Political elite in this country wants to bring that to the General Public. Sorry, I can’t go along with that no matter how good your NHS is our government will corrupt it beyond all recognition. I don’t want to go from the Best to the worst (IHS) in one fell sweep.
    Cheers and Bravo to all those great Medics and Doctors caring for our Troops (Anglo and American).

    BT: Jimmy T sends.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cigar chick has a sweet tooth? Sure doesn't look like it! Somebody feed her a sammich.

    Buck, go for the sweet young thangs, why the hell not? Especially when they have big-ass grins.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow... am I behind, or WHAT?

    Moogie sez: Smokin'Hot definitely has the self-loving meter running. I'd say she could benefit (in a few quick years) from some supportive foundation garments. Trust me...

    "Roger that" on your first point, dunno 'bout the second... in the most literal sense! But gravity catches up to us all... male or female, eventually. And I don't think that's a bad thing. Then again, I would say that, eh? ;-)

    Daphne said: Scratch that grandfather bullshit...

    I read that yesterday and had to start Happy Hour quite a bit earlier than normal, Daphne, just to calm the ol' heart. :D

    Alison: You can go on for as long and as often as you like about any ol' thing... Mi casa es su casa!

    About the NHS... it's that "Daily Mail syndrome" thing you were on about earlier this week, at least in part. And I'll echo Jimmy T's second comment: we here in the US are MOST grateful for our allies. I have huge respect and admiration for guys like your friend Bernie.

    As for the "He's mine" bit... you, too, were an accessory towards an early Happy Hour! A friend of mine has a term that fits: "contributing to the delinquency of a senior." Heh.

    Mushy: You continue to be the quintessential Dirty Ol' Man, a quality I admire. :D

    BR: I'm ambivalent on women and smoking. How could I not be, after being on ciggies for over 40 years? The First Mrs. Pennington never smoked, The Second Mrs. Pennington quit after over 20 years on the things. Most of my girlfriends indulged, tho... in one way or another. :D

    As for that Age Card thing... I just don't wanna be one of those "back in MY day we walked five miles barefoot through the snow..." kinda guys. Yanno?

    Virgil: You have about a year on me... I turn 65 this coming March. But you ARE right about there being some sort of weird satisfaction in the Age Card ... I think it might have something to do (in my case) with a very real sense of wonder that I've made it this far. Like Mick sang: "I've got no expectations..." Or had, anyhoo.

    My only suggestion in this space is to keep on doing whatever the Hell works!

    Lou sez: If someone has to ask, "Is that whiskey...Is it good" chances are they are not the sharpest knife in the drawer. But chances are intelligence is not what you were looking for.

    In the lady's defense: Glenfiddich comes boxed, not in a bare bottle. It could have been rum, gin, vodka, or anything else one buys in a package store. The "is it good" question seems like a way to make conversation, too, on the face of it... but you do have a point here. As for "looking"... I'm not. And there most certainly IS a difference... a BIG difference... between a vacation condo and the house you buy. :D

    On The Cigar Chick: my recent offline comments on the general subject apply here.

    Pat: You're right about 130s.

    Jimmy: Thanks for the illumination re the IHS. I had/have a passing familiarity with Indian demographics, but I didn't make this connection. And about the health care thing... I think there's a serious difference between gub'mint funded and gub'mint owned health care, no?

    Christina: Agreed on the sammich. I tend toward the Rubenesque vision of beauty, myownself... being a skinny guy. Haven't I gone off in this space before? Something about bone-on-bone being painful? :D

    re: the sweet young thangs: This sez it all.

    ReplyDelete
  16. JimmyT: Thanks for the reply and comment. That's very sad about the Native Americans. I feel some of their troubles are down to how they have degenerated as a people as a whole. Tragic..I have no idea how their health system operates at all. I also had no idea about your Vets situation back home. Im going to run a post about the French "NHS". May be of interest. the way I see you already run a parallel private public system. As do we. The emphasis is switched in each country though. There is plenty wrong in each. But I reckon the French have got it sussed, from experience (unfortunately) of all 3 systems, yours theirs and ours. The NHS has improved considerably in the last decade but it is at the behest of government. At the same time private healthcare has sprung up to fill any gaps. Al in all that works well and more cheaply than your system I reckon. But it's far from perfect. At the same time what I don't get about your system is why you don't know how much you are paying in taxes for Medicare. It must cost a bomb and get horribly abused? And how does it work if insurance companies form monopolies when it comes to choice and value for money? Be interesting to get that thread going on ny blog hopefully. Rather than bore Buck to pieces with this ;)

    I'll say one thing, I don't think anyone in Nato contributes more than you, us and the Canadians and that angers me. Our medics have been working flat out, especially with the recent surges. As have yours. What is the point of Nato?

    God bless your son and all our troops out there.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My standard response to flirting sweet young things in Chapel Hill (college town, after all) is to drawl, "Darlin', you're sweet, but I have shoes older than you..."

    ReplyDelete
  18. Alison sez: At the same time what I don't get about your system is why you don't know how much you are paying in taxes for Medicare. It must cost a bomb and get horribly abused?

    Therein lies a MAJOR part of the problem, in that the government doesn't collect NEARLY enough in taxes to offset the cost of the program. Medicare has legendary unfunded liabilities and will only get worse when the Boomers start in with it next year, or the year following... whatevah. The principal counter-argument to ObamaCare at the moment (IMHO) is we can't afford it without substantial cuts... and I mean SUBSTANTIAL... in other areas of gub'mint spending.

    Barry: Good comeback, and I too have shoes that fall into that category. And a few tee shirts that might be close. :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Buck, Alison, the IHS is worse than you can imagine. Having grown up spending some time on a Reservation as well as having family still living there or at the very least getting all their health care therein, it is abysmal. The "Free" Government Provided health care is frightening.

    I can understand wanting reform but nothing in any of the Bill I have read have anything that will actually make what we have better. It can be made less expensive by lifting the many prohibitions insurance companies have on competition between states/regions and a little tort reform (capping punitive damages and Loser-Pay). These two would drive down the cost such that more would be able to afford it and that would be reform. But, what they are bringing out is just the beginning of Soylent Green.

    BT: Jimmy T sends.

    ReplyDelete
  20. We have a dual public private healthcare system in the US and I have to say I think it is very good in comparison to your state care, which at the end of the day has to be there for your uninsured. But for excellence look at the French system. It's just...wow brilliant, frankly. I prefer a system that is based on universal care over insurance company run healthcare any day, I have to say. I wish we would look at French healthcare as the better route to go to improve our own. You guys should look at it more closely too. The sad thing about the debate is that it is all so one corner versus other corner with people lobbing melons at one another without any real understanding about what the alternatives are.

    ReplyDelete
  21. UK (first sentence) not US

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.