Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Such a Strange Day...

OK, we know the monsoon season is upon us here on The High Plains of New Mexico... but we still find this sort of thing unusual:

And if that's not unusual enough... speaking solely of the oh-so-moderate temperature for the end of July... we had about eight hours of solid rain beginning around 0300 hrs today and lasting through the morning. Our storms here on THPoNM tend to be brief and rather violent affairs in that they come on quickly, dump a usually-small to moderate amount of rain on us, and leave just as quickly as they arrive. Rinse, repeat.

But last night we experienced a system that sorta just parked its huge damp ass over the entirety of east central New Mexico... like from Roswell all the way up to Tucumcari and all points in between... and lingered. And lingered some more, all the while dumping a steady sort of gentle rain punctuated with occasional bass rolls of thunder. This, of course, is not an entirely unwelcome event. We always need rain in this part of the world; we got a lot of it last night.

Here's the Unofficial Beautiful La Hacienda Trailer Park rain gauge:


And here's the general view out the back door of El Casa Móvil De Pennington:

It's still spitting occasional rain on us as we speak and it remains to be seen if we'll hold the usual, customary and quite reasonable Happy Hour today.

Aw, Hell... Who am I trying to kid? Of course we will.
A lil rain never hurt anybody, according to Mom.

11 comments:

  1. This calls for roadhouse bar run!

    Go get a cool keg conditioned beer and order up dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a CAPITAL ideer, Darryl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! 66 and 95% humidity - who'd a thought???

    I trust Happy Hour is either well under way or probably over by now so hope it was a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was awesome! And such a surprise to wake up to as well! But the best part (besides it being great on our crop) was the 4-wheelin' I go to do to get to the asphalt this morning! So cool! I even went to town just to go down 18th street and run thru all the water there, too. (ok, I actually had to get dog food. But I DID go down 18th street for kicks).

    ReplyDelete
  5. psycho weather this summer in the high deserts - bizarre

    ReplyDelete
  6. virgil xenophon22 July, 2009 21:29

    OT, but whats with the low numbers from Nigeria on your "Visitor by Country counter? Some of the countries I understand, but only FOUR (4)!!! From Nigeria??!! What a piker you are in that category! I get more DAILY in my spam from Nigerian "businessmen" and "bankers" than you do in your entire blog career! They must not be gettin' the right kind of vibes from you, man. Not enough LUUV. You gotta work harder to get your numbers up!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ann: We canceled Happy Hour today, alas. It began raining quite hard around the usual kick-off time and continued through the evening. Oh, well... ;-)

    Jenny: I can imagine you had yourself some fun on your road! I have some photos of 18th Street I took a couple of years ago... I should re-run 'em, eh?

    Cynthia: Yup... the weather has been weird this year, and not just in the desert and on the High Plains. I saw on the news tonight that Algore's home town set a new record for low-temperature in July yesterday... 58 degrees. Heh.

    Virgil: I might get a lot of spam from Nigeria, too... g-mail has got such a great spam-eliminator algorithm I never see it. My spam folder gets about 50 or so messages a day but I never look at 'em. But you're right... my attitude needs adjusting. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bet the farmers are in hog heaven. Jenny is happy, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lou, yes. Yes I am!! And I think everyone should thank my husband for the rain. He cut 2 circles of alfalfa hours before it started (not our hay though, so no worries on our part!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have chairs like that, except they're covered in hunting cammo fabric.

    I love them, they annoy liberals.

    I wish it would rain here, you're so lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jenny: Give Jeff my PERSONAL thanks!! I loved yesterday!

    Daphne: I was hoping the rain storm that hit us would make its way over to you. The sticks seemed to be lined up last night... but I guess not.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.