Thursday, July 09, 2009

So Long, Joe

One of hockey's best formally announced his retirement today, but we hockey fans have known about it for a couple of days now. Here's an excellent video from ESPN that illustrates why Joe Sakic was one of the best to ever play the game:



Here's a great roundup of quotes about Joe from other hockey greats... guys like Mario Lemieux, Wayne Gretzky, Stevie Y, Ray Bourque, Patrick Roy, and others.

So long, Joe... enjoy your retirement and thanks for all the memories. See ya in the Hockey Hall of Fame.

3 comments:

  1. Good post, Buck. Great link. Thanks. Somehow the only person I wanted to hear from concerning Super Joe was Stevie Y. I swear if I didn't see them on the ice at the same time I might suspect they were the same person.

    I'll looking for the date for his number retirement, and will try to make it back to Colorado for that, you can be sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buck, your send off of Joe comes off a little Snarky, me things Joe may have more than once capped the Red Wings??? We in Philly did not see Joe that often (once every two years) so he did not often beat my favorite team. I am sure his leaving is a releif to many Teams in the Western Confrence!!

    BT: Jimmy T sends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andy: Thanks. Super Joe was/is one of the best. I wonder if he'll play for Canada in the Olympics next year? Stevie Y invited him to Team Canada's training camp, but I don't recall reading whether he accepted or not.

    Jimmy: No snark intended. Super Joe is my 2nd favorite Number 19. Srsly. Now if it had been your new boy Pronger who was retiring, that would have been a completely different story. I'm glad you got him and we (i.e., the Wings) won't be seeing much of him for a good long time.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.