Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Just Playing Around...

This leaf dropped on to my camp chair-cum-footrest last evening as we were in the end game of our post-dinner cigar and brandy whiskey. I picked it up and marveled a lil bit on its bright yellow color, thinking it might be an interesting photo subject.

So we carried it and our old ass into the house, raised the shade on the kitchen window, wet the leaf and gently stuck it on the window to get the shots you see below. Details as noted below each image and click for larger if you feel moved to do so (as usual).

Just for comparison sake... the images above and below were taken with my grabshot camera, a Canon Powershot G5. I shot in macro mode, which turned out to be 1/320 sec at f/4. The image above is a 100% resolution crop.

A 45% resize of the G5 pic immediately above. More about the dirty window below.

I include this image just to show the SLR can focus, if operated properly. This is a jpeg as it came out of the camera, 100 % resolution and cropped. Both SLR images (above and below) were shot with my 50 mm lens; this one at 1/400 sec, f/4, ISO 400.

A 100% cropped selection of the image below. Slightly out of focus.


This is a 40% resize of a RAW file, saved as a jpeg and the color curve is slightly tweaked. 1/30 sec, f/5.6, ISO 100. This also shows how frickin' dirty my window was. I cleaned it after I took these pics... or after the horse had left the barn. As usual.

I shot about 18 images last evening... and the interesting thing (to me) is that the G5 takes pictures that are seemingly just as good as those taken with the SLR... said SLR costing well over twice as much when the body and two lenses are all added up. I'm not discounting the fact that there may be some operator error in play here; that could well be. But that thought is offset by the fact that I've been playing around with single lens reflex cameras in a semi-serious manner for over 40 years... so I DO have a lil bit of experience.

None the less... we keep on keeping on. But we ARE just a little bit disappointed and discouraged about this SLR.

(Update added about ten minutes after originally posting: I got the captions all messed up due to Blogger posting the images in an order exactly opposite from what I intended. They're fixed now but the narrative is slightly whacked. Sorry about that.)

7 comments:

  1. I think your pictures look great.

    Of course, I can only imagine that "bad" would be in the eye of the beholder.



    W/V "rollypic"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty! I took a pic of our dog draped over the A/C vent the other day and my floor looked like a dust bowl. Someeetimes reality DOES bite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, I think I like the first one best for color. Maybe it is because the background seems darker and that brings out the yellow of the leaf. The third image is probably my favorite - for what it is worth.

    I went to show someone one of my paintings hanging above the bed in my bedroom thinking that my house was fairly clean - except for the cobwebs hanging from the frame. I was a bit embarrassed. I don't even want to think about taking a close-up shot of my windows. Real cowgirls don't do windows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neat pictures, Buck.

    And it drives me CRAZY sometimes how Blogger posts the pictures in the OPPOSITE sequence in which we post them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Buck, I am with Bad Blog, picture #1 is overall the best of the lot for intensity and saturation. What is odd is that the one with an ISO of 100 (picture #5, last) appears washed out as compared with the one shot at an ISO of 400 (#3), I would have thought the reverse especially given the sutter speeds. I don't have a DSLR, I do have one of the Powershots as well (not sure what model) and then my old fashion flim SLR. Old School, but I have a boss scanner too.

    BT: Jimmy T sends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting!

    PS - I never know what blogger is going to do to my pictures these days - very frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Darryl sez: Of course, I can only imagine that "bad" would be in the eye of the beholder.

    We are our own worst critics.

    Moogie: Roger that... on reality!

    Lou: The variations in color one gets from varying the exposure is amazing, even without "photoshopping" the results.

    I hear ya about cowgirls and windows, too. :D

    Sharon: I took great pains to make sure I posted the photos in order as my new system doesn't like to cut and paste images in Blogger. Imagine my surprise... (/sarcasm)

    Jimmy: I adjusted the color curve on the last image to more closely resemble the real color of the leaf. The original (unadjusted image) had a lot more saturation but wasn't "true" where the color was concerned.

    I still have my old film SLR, too (an Olympus OM-1), but I haven't put a roll of film through it in nearly ten years.

    Cynthia: I hear ya!

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.