Sunday, July 12, 2009

The General Would Like a Word With You

General Motors workers loaded new Chevrolet Camaros for delivery at the company's facility in Oshawa, Canada, in April. (Photo as captioned in the NYT)
(The post title is an old ad tagline GM used in ads directed at the military back in my day.)
Back in April of this year I wrote glowingly of the new Camaro… describing it as my then-current Lust Object. Well, things haven't changed so much since April; things haven't changed at all, actually. I still think a new Camaro would look mighty fine parked in my driveway. Me and quite a few other people, as it turns out:
DETROIT — Believe it or not, General Motors has a hit car on its hands.
Amid the gloom of bankruptcy and a miserable market for new vehicles, G.M.’s new Chevrolet Camaro muscle car is winning over consumers looking for a little excitement in a bland landscape of look-alike sedans and watered-down sport utilities.
G.M. sold 9,300 Camaros during the month of June — more than either its entire Buick or Cadillac divisions could muster on their own.
[…]
A product renaissance, of course, cannot be led solely by a retro-styled sports car that harks back to the horsepower hysteria of the 1960s. But in its short time on the market, the Camaro has brought some much-needed buzz to G.M. showrooms.
Heh. Leave it to the New York Times to damn something classically American with faint praise. "Horsepower hysteria," my ass. I will admit the car probably has more appeal for those of us "of a certain age," but I'm also betting that any Prius-loving, organic-eating, thirty-something Caspar Milquetoast would change his (or her) mind about the car after a few quick runs up and down a twisty two lane road, throwing in one or two stop-light burnouts just for good measure. Horsepower is FUN! It doesn't hurt that the car is just downright beautiful, with more character in its front quarter panel than that of a fleet of Honda Hybrids. Or Priuses. But your mileage may vary (heh) when it comes to the car's looks. I think it looks like sex on wheels and that's a compliment of the highest order.
Good on GM. But bad for me. I haven't actually been down to the local Chevy House to price one out, but I'm betting my GM Family discount wouldn't apply on a new Camaro. Yet. But then again, I'm not quite ready to part company with The Green Hornet. She's only nine years old, ya know.

7 comments:

  1. ". . . more character ... than a fleet. . . . " Heh.

    I had a friend in high school who drove a neon orange Camaro -- she was one of the most popular gals with the guys in school! (Of course, it probably didn't hurt that she also sported a set of double-Ds.)

    And, yes indeedy, horsepower IS fun! And necessary when merging onto a 21st century freeway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know why it's so popular right now, right? I know you don't see movies, but it's because of the new Transformers movie that came out a couple years ago and it's sequel that came out a couple weeks ago. One of the stars of the movie is Bumblebee, the Autobot whose vehicle form is a yellow Camero. My 3 year old is obsessed with him, has posters and toys and has to watch the show at least once a day. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny is right - they debuted the new Camaro in the first Transformers movie - and it was electric to see it on the big screen.

    I love the Transformers movies Jenny! Just say the latest one last night - I think I have a 10 year old boy trapped inside me. They had previews for the G.I. Joe movie - and I can't wait!

    Motorhead Buck - you and I. Good things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Toby mentioned the Transfomers movie, too, as contributing to the popularity of the Camaro. He likes it too, but we will wait and see what Subaru does with diesel in the next couple of years. We need something to pull the catamaran.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Moogie: I think I would have liked your high school friend, too. A lot. :D

    And you're right about horsepower and its general goodness in driving situations... more is ALWAYS better.

    Jenny and Kris: Looks like GM ain't as dumb as a lot folks think, eh? A GREAT PR move on their part, but it's the underlying product quality that ultimately sells.

    Lou: I think the Camaro could pull your catamaran fairly easily, don't you? And look good doing it, too. Not to mention being more fun than a Subaru... which, if bought, would have to be adorned with suitable bumper stickers that conflict with all the other parts of your life. Isn't there a federal law or something in that space (i.e., Subies and bumper stickers)?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kris, I thought the new TF was awesome! I had Transformers and watched the cartoon as a kid (and my mom still has my old TF toys, brings them out for me and the kids when we visit). And I too want to see GIJoe when it comes out next month, looks awesome (again, I had the toys and watched the cartoon. I should have been a boy!). But first, the new, and much awaited for, Harry Potter HBP comes out on Wednesday!

    Buck, your right. GM made a good move when they let TF use many different models of their products to be the good guys in the movie. I do wish Bumblebee could have been a Ford Mustang (though the Camero was a much better vehicle for him than his previous earth disguise, the VW Bug). Too bad the bad guy Decepticons got the Mustang.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jenny: I probably need kids in the house to fully appreciate all you just told me. :D

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.