Thursday, April 09, 2009

Lust Object

I could see myself in one of these…

(Images are screen-shots from the downloadable brochure. Click for larger, of course.)

That would be the 2010 Camaro, which comes in several flavors… ranging from mild to wild. But even the “mild” version comes with a standard 3.6 liter (217 cu. in.) V6 that puts out an astounding 304 hp while getting an estimated 18 miles per gallon (city) and 29 mpg on the highway. Just to put that in perspective… The Second Mrs. Pennington’s 1992 Corvette (which later became mine) put out 300 hp and got all of about 18 mpg on the highway… if you kept your foot out of it... which was pretty danged hard to do, given that 300 hp is a LOT of fun!

The base Camaro begins at $22,995.00… and a moderately tarted-up V6 LT2 model has an MSRP of $27,330.00. That sounds pretty danged reasonable to me, and it also makes me wonder if GM has changed its long-standing policy about not allowing the GM employee discount on new models. I suspect they just might have done so, given the current sales environment. (Full disclosure: The family and I are eligible for that discount by virtue of me being an EDS retiree. SN1 just used the discount last month to buy a new Tahoe.)

But… back to the car. If the base V6 ain’t enough for you and you happen to be a serious horsepower freak… there’s always the 426 hp 2SS model that begins at $34,180.00. Or, as the brochure sez:

If you seek the ultimate, why not own the ultimate — the SS. Call it the extreme Camaro, with performance credentials that compare to many supercars. Its standard 6.2L V8 lays down an incredible 426 hp and a massive 420 lb.-ft. of torque when mated to the standard short-throw six-speed manual — all without a federal gas-guzzler tax.

That last bit I highlighted is pretty danged impressive, in its own right. But 304 horsepower seems like enough for YrHmblScrb. Insurance being a consideration, and all that…

Motor Trend likes the new Camaro, too. The Camaro SS was the winner in a shoot-out between the Camaro, the Mustang GT, and the new Dodge Challenger. Watch...


12 comments:

  1. Toby’s 74 Camaro was always lots of fun – he will love this video, but the “Last in cabin and trunk volume” brought back memories. Toby used to say the only thing you could get in the trunk of his Camaro was a greased bottle of whiskey. When he was a single man, I guess that was not so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that's a spendy toy :) !

    I'm not a car afficiando, but my first real date had a Camaro and he was late because he stopped to wash it - I had a Ford Pinto so I was suitably impressed. Anyway, ancient fond memory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah yes - drove by a bright yellow one on a dealership lot yesterday afternoon. Hard to just drive by - they are quite the sexy beast.

    That said - my heart lusts for a Mustang. My dad had them for years until he switched to Beemers, so for me the newly styled 'Stangs carry heavy nostalgia as they look so much like the ones my dad had in the 60s and early 70s.

    That said - if someone parked a Camaro in my driveway I wouldn't let it gather dust.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooo, a 6-speed manual would be SO much fun!!!

    I am partial to the Mustang (Ford gal, ya know). When I worked at the Ford dealership in Pville one of my jobs was to run various errands (DMV, banks, PO, etc). I wasn't allowed to drive my personal vehicle, so I got to head on over to the key closet and take my pick of what to drive that day. Usually I picked a big pickup, but on nice days it was fun to take a Mustang convertable for the trip.

    Dodge coming back out with a Challenger. Interesting. Dated a guy once with one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I'm normally not a car freak, but if you do get one, a road trip to Vegas is definitely called for...then you could take me for a ride up the 95, all the way to Beatty and back. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beast of a rig, to be sure. Not a fan of the looks, though. I think the Mustang and Challenger (especially the Challenger) beat it out in that department. Still...I'll take one.

    stumbled upon this

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lou sez: When he was a single man, I guess that was not so bad.

    Exactly! The Camaro probably has more room in its trunk than The Green Hornet, for what THAT'S worth. It was always a challenge for the ex-GF and I to pack for a weekend trip in TGH...

    Ann: "Spendy" is relative, ain't it? ;-)

    Kris: My Dad had a succession of 'Stangs, as well. And he NEVER let me drive one... ever. He was funny like that.

    Jenny sez: Ooooo, a 6-speed manual would be SO much fun!!!

    Yup... they ARE! TGH has that flavor transmission... but with only 145 hp on tap it's NEEDED.

    I'm on the other side of the great divide, in that I'm more of a Bow-Tie kinda guy. I've owned a couple of FoMoCo products in my life and didn't like any of 'em.

    Christina: The likelihood of me getting one of these is slim or none. It's nice to dream, though.

    Andy: Thanks for that link!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Buck - that's a damn shame about the driving thing. As you know, my dad did let me drive one of his - once...ruined me forever.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've always been a Mustang fan too, but that Camaro is a nice looking car.

    I remember an old boyfriend who had a 1966 Camaro. I remember I liked the car more than I liked him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember being stoked about the new Challenger when it first came out. Then I saw one up close, and was disappointed at it's rather diminutive size when compared to the original Challengers.

    While they are nice cars, they can't hold a candle to the class of the original muscle cars.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Buckskins sez: While they are nice cars, they can't hold a candle to the class of the original muscle cars.

    Interesting, that! I owned a couple of muscle cars back in the day (a '67 Chevelle SS396 and a '70 or '71 Dodge Dart Swinger 340). They went like greased lightning in a straight line but couldn't go around corners worth a damn. They were also seriously lacking in basic reliability, as well. But they were good LOOKING, if that's where you're coming from, Buckskins. All told, I'd take today's cars over their predecessors.

    Sharon: It appears you and Ann have something in common, LOL!

    Kris: I could say more about my dad's quirks when it came to his cars.. but I won't. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the older styling better but I like the modern drivelines. I do not like front wheel drive at all nor do I like strut type suspension. All said, The modern car is much better than the older ones. Computerized driveline management is the only way to go.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.