Monday, March 02, 2009

On Salsa... Oh So Briefly (and Other Things, Too)

There’s one thing I just have to say before I even get started… home-made is BEST. It’s always been so, and probably will always BE so… with just a couple of caveats: (1) you gotta know what you’re doing and (2) you have to have the proper ingredients. Number Two is key, yanno. Some folks can make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear, but that ain’t the case when it comes to salsa and its prime ingredient: chile. The ol’ IT saw… garbage in, garbage out… applies to salsa, in spades.
I might could be a salsa connoisseur, but I’m reluctant to bill myself as such. Let’s just say my experience with the art form goes back well over 40 years and I’ve eaten a tremendous number of varieties of this essential condiment… ranging from the exquisite to the mundane (and worse). And speaking of “exquisite,” The First Mrs. Pennington is a past master at creating the most delectable salsa you can imagine. Apropos of nothing, the lady kept me supplied with it (the salsa) during my one-year sojourn in Beautiful-Sinop-By-The-Sea via frequent Care Packages containing Mason jars of her salsa. That salsa was jealously guarded… believe me… and accompanied me to the chow hall every morning to grace my eggs and every evening to make other things edible (Army food SUCKS). Her salsa was also much in demand from friends who knew about the wonderfulness of salsa in general and hers, in particular. A few friendships were made because of her salsa, but let us not digress further.
One of the absolute worst periods of my life where salsa is concerned was spending over ten years in the Great Salsa Desert, also known as the northern tier (read as: Detroit and Rochester, NY). People in that part of the world have absolutely NO idea about salsa… and their concept of “good salsa” is limited to Pace or Old El Paso. Blech. Either of those two brands are to salsa as ketchup is to marinara sauce… i.e., they’re both red, but the resemblance begins and ends right there. And you know what’s strange? I can go to Wally-World right here in P-Ville and BOTH of those brands are featured prominently on the shelves. Go figure…
One of the reasons I make my bi-weekly trips over to The Big(ger) CityTM is to pick up a couple weeks’ supply of El Pinto, my current favorite salsa. El Pinto used to be available in P-Ville but for some reason the managers at Wally-World decided to discontinue it… more than likely because it ain’t the cheapest brand available, and Wally-World is ALL about cheap. But we digress… yet again. I truly believe El Pinto is the absolute BEST commercial salsa I’ve ever tasted and comes awfully danged close to home-made. It’s also available in several different formulas, from the usual mild to hot, to various permutations of red, green, and other varieties. And there’s good news for those folks who aren’t privileged to live in New Mexico, otherwise known as The Capital of the Chile Universe: you can buy El Pinto salsa on-line. My two favorite flavors are illustrated at left.
So… just as life is too short to drink bad beer, it’s most definitely too short to tolerate less than the best salsa. You DO have options. Use ‘em.

―::―
Via Johnny Dollar at Olbermann Watch… a most excellent segment from last Friday’s Red Eye:
The whole Halftime Report is here… if’n ya wanna go. It’s worth the trip.
―:☺:―
While we’re on about politics, there’s this:
Looking for all the world like the sweating floor manager on the late afternoon shift at Larry Flynt's Hustler Club in an unbuttoned shiny black shirt and undersized sport coat, Rush Limbaugh leaned his meaty hands on the lectern at the CPAC conference and slipped a greasy dollar bill into the G-string of the writhing conservative dead-enders packed into garishly lit Omni Shoreham in Washington DC.
Jowls rolling like thunder from the right via CNN's unfortunate high-definition feed, Limbaugh took control of the sad and tattered remnants of the mainstream conservative movement, and urged continued allegiance to the noble Lost Cause of Reagan, metaphorically carrying his rebel-yelling followers into the hills like modern-day Quantrill's Raiders standing firm against change.
Judas Priest. The above takes the proverbial cake in the Purple Prose Sweepstakes. Isn’t there some sort of web site dedicated to over-reliance on one’s handy-dandy thesaurus and bad writing, in general? Why, yes… yes there IS. I’m thinking you’re seeing the 2009 Bulwer-Lytton winner, just above. All others should just give it up… there’s NO topping Mr. Watson. Elementary, and all that.

23 comments:

  1. Words can not say so. If the only country with their own production of merchandise. Then the world economy will be more broken chain. World Without communication, it may lead to more intensification of contradictions. Finally could lead to war, led to the arrival of doomsday. Therefore made on the articles, imported goods must be used. To use high-quality, affordable merchandise. :)

    http://eyesinkaleidoscope.blogspot.com/
    http://fymtyh.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. MY WIFE is a salsa sissy. She buys mild Newman's Own. Yuck.

    However, she is way cool in other ways. Take a peek at my place today and see the end of the piece. You, especially, will be amused.

    ReplyDelete
  3. “People in that part of the world (Rochester, NY) have absolutely NO idea about salsa.”

    Hey, we resemble that remark.

    But then again, nobody can touch our Chicken Wings, Garbage Plates, White Hots, Baked Beans, Cream Ale…

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Buck,
    Any ideas on why I can't get audio from your vids?

    I wonder if it is related to me using Vista or AVG security.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm using Vista and got audio fine, very well - but I have McAfee not AVG.

    Thanks for the Salsa link, Buck - I love chipotle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "But then again, nobody can touch our Chicken Wings, Garbage Plates, White Hots, Baked Beans, Cream Ale…"

    Ah Yes Tim, You are so right....

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was a great day when the Salsa Allotment arrived.. And a greater day when I discovered where you hid it...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Skywind: I was speaking of making one's own salsa... from tomatoes, chile, onions, and such... as opposed to buying it pre-made in the store.

    Jim sez: MY WIFE is a salsa sissy. She buys mild Newman's Own. Yuck.

    Newman's Own is my back-up salsa, used when I run out of El Pinto. The "hot" variety is better than most!

    tim sez: But then again, nobody can touch our Chicken Wings, Garbage Plates, White Hots, Baked Beans, Cream Ale…

    I'll agree on the wings... world's BEST, they are. Have you ever had MacGregor's hottest? Simply astounding... and the best I've ever had, anywhere. I will dispute you on the garbage plates and Cream Ale, though... I never quite "got" the concept of the garbage plate... and I tried, on numerous occasions. I've had better ales, too. As for white hots? They're OK, bt I'm not exactly "in" to 'em.

    Dan: Are you insinuating I was holding out on my roomie? I'd NEVER do THAT! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoops! Missed a couple...

    DC: Did you ever figure your audio out? Mute button, maybe?

    Ann: El Pinto ain't exactly cheap, but I wish I would have known about them back when I was living in Rochester. I don't think you'll be disappointed if you order from them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Of course you wouldn't, But after I found where you hid it I didn't care if you held out. It was almost like having my own source, so to speak.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Buck,

    No. I have to go into youtube and refind the video. Works ok, there.

    Gutfeld is great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The first time I ever ran into chips and salsa was at a little place on the west side of the tracks called La Hacienda. It was in a neighborhood, not far from Lindsey school. Is it still there?

    Before that, if you wanted Mexican food in Portales, you had to drive to Clovis to La Guadalajara, which was also on the wrong side of the tracks. You'd never find either of them unless someone showed you where they were.

    Strangely enough, you can get decent Mexican food in Minneapolis now. It's not the Tex-mex style I prefer, but it's good. We've had enough folks move up here from Mexico that there's a whole Mexican shopping district on Lake Street.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gordon: La Hacienda moved on to Second Street years ago (it was there when I arrived here back in 2002). Sadly, it closed last month or perhaps in December... after more than 30 years in business. La Guadalajara is gone, too, closing a year or so back... perhaps longer.

    It doesn't surprise me that Minneapolis has good Mexican food nowadays. I gave Detroit short-shrift in this post by failing to mention Mexican Village on the south side of town, near the old Tiger Stadium. There were five or six excellent restaurants there... but it was quite a drive from the northern 'burbs where I lived.

    ReplyDelete
  14. “Have you ever had MacGregor's hottest?”

    Actually no, but I’ll have to try them.

    BTW, seems Salsa is on other bloggers radar also-


    http://www.rachellucas.com/index.php/2009/03/02/heartache-i-haz-it/

    ReplyDelete
  15. For those of you who are without good salsa, try a can of Rotel diced tomatoes and green chilies - pour in a blender - add garlic salt to taste - blend. You can add cilantro to really make it wonderful, but it beats anything in a jar off the shelf at Wal-Mart. Rotel is usually pretty hot, but you can add a jalapeno to knock your socks off.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am a salsa freak, too, and the fact is that I just don't eat it very often because there's none good to be had in the stores. rest assured I will be ordering some El Pinto on your recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  17. One of the best things when we moved here to New Mexico was a WHOLE NEW SELECTION of salsas to try.

    I like El Pinto a lot, too. Also Sadie's. Those are my two favorite local brands.

    I agree that homemade is the best, and I love to make salsa (and gazpacho too!) in the summer when I can get fresh ingredients at the farmer's market.

    Ditto on the garbage plates and Zweigle's White Hots from the Rochester area. We always bring back a cooler full of Zweigle's hots when we make a trip to upstate NY...and make them last for a year. YUMMO!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Towanda, Sadies is one of the best places in Alb. to eat Mexican food. We used to eat there when it was at the bowling alley.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sadies is on my list of places to go when we are in ABQ. We ate at El Pinto years and years ago when we lived in ABQ (Air Force) and had no money and we splurged and went to El Pinto to celebrate our first anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  20. tim: Thanks for the link... and I know from whence Rachel writes. There are just some things you can't get in Ol' Blighty.

    Lou: I've never seen Rotel tomatoes/chiles. But then again, seeing as how I have access to good salsa, I never looked. Thanks for the tip!

    Andy: I'm certain you won't be disappointed. Srsly.

    Sharon: Mmmm... gazpacho! I haven't made any lately, but it was a summer fave of mine in the way-back, read as: when I had a REAL kitchen and someone to cook for. Or mix ingredients and chill for, as the case may be. ;-)

    And... the next time I'm in ABQ I'll most definitely try Sadie's.

    ReplyDelete
  21. While I have no first hand experience to compare it to, having never partaken of what I know for a fact is quality salsa, I'm of the opinion that Mrs. Renfro's is pretty good stuff. The Mango Habanero is quite delicious if you like a splash of fruit with some fairly (for store bought) spicy salsa.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Is Pancho's Mexican Buffet still going down on Central in ABQ? Man, have I waddled out of that place a few times.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gordon: I have NO idea, as I haven't been in ABQ for at least two years. Sad, eh?

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.