Monday, February 09, 2009

News You Probably Can't Use

I have no idea why I did it, but I was looking at the Portales page on Wikipedia this evening and noticed (a) the page has been extensively edited since the last time I visited and (b) my Fair City is growing… much more so than I thought. From The Wiki:

Portales is a city in and the county seat of Roosevelt County[1], New Mexico, United States. The population of Portales and its near suburbs, contained in Zip Code 88130, was nearly 17,000 people in 2007, not including a majority of the city's college students.

That’s something like a 42% increase over what we announce to folks driving through our beautiful burg.

But this is what really caught my eye:

According to a study conducted by Bizjournals.com, of 577 micropolitan areas, Portales ranked 15th (ed: my link added) in the nation and ninth in the western United States in overall quality of life.[3] The goal of the study was to identify America’s most attractive micropolitan areas and points were given to small, well-rounded communities where the economy is strong, traffic is light, the cost of living is moderate, adults are well-educated, and access to big-city attractions is reasonably close.

The study identified 12 categories including population growth, per capita income, small business growth, professional jobs, commuting, cost of living, and advanced degrees. Cities were given points for positive results and negative scores if they were below the national averages. These scores were then totaled to determine its overall rank on the list of micropolitan areas.

Portales, the smallest city in the top 25, received a quality of life score of 8.96, the 15th highest score in the nation. According Scott Thomas, the author of the study, the income per capita, short commuting times, low taxes, and substantial percentage of adults with a graduate degree contributed to the ranking. Los Alamos was the only other New Mexico city to be recognized in the top 20.

[…]

Unemployment in Roosevelt County in 2007 averaged less than 3%, and the cost of living was approximately 83% of the US average, based primarily on the historically low but rising cost of housing in the area. By 2009, Portales continued to experience economic growth, with unemployment in the 3% range. Portales in 2009 remained largely insulated from the national economic downturn due in part to a balanced economy based on food processing, higher education, and government, along with a growing population of university students and US Air Force employees.

Well, now! One learns something every single day… I now know I live in a “micropolitan area,” whereas I previously thought I lived in the proverbial “one-horse town.” T’ain’t so! SN1 has long called Clovis “the microplex,” which was a running joke about The Big(ger) City™ among the troops out at Cannon Airplane Patch in the way-back and still might be, for all I know.

All joking aside, the last paragraph quoted above is largely responsible for my perception that the current “economic crisis”… as beat into my head by the Talking Heads on my teevee … ain’t everything it’s cracked up to be. I’m not saying the current recession isn’t serious — far from it. It’s just that we here on The High Plains of New Mexico are fortunate to be insulated from the down-turn. So far.

―:☺:―

More local news… We got our first precipitation of 2009 this past evening in the form of massive thunderstorms that rolled through P-Ville and the surrounding area for about an hour and a half last night. “Driving rain” would be an understatement of massive proportions, Gentle Reader, and there was considerable hail, too. At one point I looked out the window and the ground was completely covered in hail… looking for all the world like a moderate snow fall. And have I ever told you about the racket hail makes on the roof of an RV? I have? OK… never mind.

I don’t have a rain gauge here on the premises of El Casa Móvil De Pennington, but my educated guess is we got about a half-inch of rain, perhaps more.

We needed it.

―:☺:―

In news of another sort… for the first time in recent memory I own the Grammy-winning “Best Album of the Year.”

Oh, and there were some trophies handed out. A leading total of five of those went to the unlikely tandem of classic rock demi-god Robert Plant and country angel Alison Krauss, who paired for "Raising Sand," a mystic-minded journey through American roots music. "Raising Sand" won for album of the year and the evocative track "Please Read the Letter" claimed the prestigious record of the year honor.

No… I didn’t watch the Grammies. Are you kidding me? I’d rather listen to hail beat down on my roof. And so I did. But reading that Plant/Krauss won big was a bit of good news. Taste is still alive in America, albeit on life support. Beyonce didn't win shit anything... as near as I can tell.

13 comments:

  1. If it rains at all, it all comes down at once. Except that one time back in 1975 when it drizzled for three days straight. Got five inches then. Three weeks later we needed more rain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Plant/Kraus on my MP3 player - exellent.

    We got the thunderstorms here last night and they were much needed.

    Between Cannon and ENMSU I would think Portales is NM's well kept secret. Just north of here, there is a little town called Bray, OK. There is a school and a store and a few houses, but the population is 1035 and the actual size of the town is 62.2 square miles making it one of the largest school districts (land-wise) in OK (maybe in the USA).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate to hail on the roof (rv roof) - cacophony comes to mind. Glad you got needed rain, though.

    "Micropolitan" and "Microplex" - my education expanded this morning.

    re the economy - things have trickled down a bit here but I still believe the worst thing is the lack of confidence, fed by doomsayers. It makes some fearful and overly cautious and will deepen the downntrend. I see this time as an opportunity - this is the kind of time when those with a unique and optomistic vision will do well - and I don't mean just monetarily. Sometimes we need some "event" to get us going in a "better for us" direction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll check with the boys out at Cannon to find out how much precip you got - I maintain (remotely) their weather station.

    I used to love the monsoons when I was stationed at Ft, Huachuca. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Ann, You said it.

    Buck, I don't think toy Gramophones are any indication of quality music.

    Starland Vocal Band won with "Afternoon Delight" in 1976.

    Glad to see that Plant received something, although I haven't heard any of the new album.

    But Alison Krause has a wonderful voice and apparently she has a stack of grammy's littering her bathroom hutch.

    I really dislike Mondays...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I certainly learned something here today. Micropolitan area. I had no idea there was such a term.

    Congratulations on living in such a nice one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gordon: I hear ya. I've seen extended rain perhaps once or twice in the six years I've been in P-Ville; it's just a RARE occurrence.

    Lou sez: We got the thunderstorms here last night and they were much needed.

    Between Cannon and ENMSU I would think Portales is NM's well kept secret. Just north of here, there is a little town called Bray, OK. There is a school and a store...


    I watched the t-storms move away from us and through your area VERY early this morning, or late last night (take your pick). They were the same ones that beat us to death... or nearly so.

    P-Ville as "well kept secret?" Who'd a thunk it, eh? And Bray is a BIG town, area-wise!

    Ann sez: re the economy - things have trickled down a bit here but I still believe the worst thing is the lack of confidence, fed by doomsayers. It makes some fearful and overly cautious and will deepen the downntrend. I see this time as an opportunity...

    I agree with you, Ann, and I'm APPALLED at Obama's language/attitude in this space. It was all "politics of fear" when it came to Bush and national security, but it's apparently OK for him to go all hyperbolic on the economy. He really IS a tyro... and needs to learn one of his BIGGEST duties/responsibilities is to be the Cheerleader-in-Chief.

    I agree with you about "opportunity," in that the Republicans now have something to differentiate themselves... in a positive manner... from the "powers that be."

    Andy sez: I used to love the monsoons when I was stationed at Ft, Huachuca. Beautiful.

    Yup, agreed! Arizona has better monsoons than we do, though. One of my absolute favorite memories in life involves me and a certain someone in my past... sitting under the eaves at the Davis-Monthan BOQ in Tucson in the wee smalls... watching the rain pour down on an otherwise toasty Arizona evening. There is more to the story (as one might imagine), but the bottom line is "It don't get no better than that..." ;-)

    DC sez: Buck, I don't think toy Gramophones are any indication of quality music.

    Starland Vocal Band won with "Afternoon Delight" in 1976.


    That was an amusing piece of kitsch, as far as I'm concerned. But I'm biased... the song was in heavy rotation when The Second Mrs. Pennington and I were in the process of falling in love. You may draw the appropriate (or INappropriate) conclusions.

    Mondays are fine for me, these days! ;-)

    Jim sez: Congratulations on living in such a nice one!

    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder... and the saying is OH-so-true when it comes to P-Ville. But I do like it here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I envy you for liking where you're at.

    I bet the storm you got is what's passed through here over the last three days! Of course, Lost Wages is in no way able to handle even a sprinkle of rain without major flooding, getting to work has been an adventure for a few days now.

    I don't mind Mondays, since there something of a Thursday for me! Tomorrow (Tuesday) is my Friday...:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. funny how different parts of pville received different precip. We were eating at Pizza Hut when it hit and didn't recall seeing any hail. I can imagine how loud it was on your humble abode. Hopefully we will get some rain this afternoon/evening.

    Ya know, Pvill really is a pretty good little town. Much better than Clovis I think. I've heard the area called Microplex for years. Wonder if part of the population increase is from farmers/country folk in the county moving to town? Clovis is great for some of the businesses and eating joints, but the people/housing just doesn't compare to Portales. Hoping the full brunt of the economy doesn't hit our county hard. We are a few years behind the times anyway, maybe by the time it gets here the worst will be far behind.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Christina: It IS good to be content. And I am. Content.

    Jenny sez: Ya know, Pvill really is a pretty good little town. Much better than Clovis I think.

    Agreed. Clovis seems to have more "issues" than we do, specifically in crime. I DO wish we had better shopping, tho... including a Starbucks. That may come, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

    Amazing you didn't see any hail! It hailed here for a good ten minutes, if not longer. As I said... the ground was completely white at one point.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Crap! I can't believe I put "there" instead of "they're"!!!

    I hang my head in shame.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not a coffee drinker so I couldn't tell you how the couple of coffee places we have compares to it. There is some coffee joint next to Dominos and another one on the college campus. Or there used to be. Downstairs of the CUB. Also heard that new coffee at McDs is supposedly good.

    But as I said, no idea how it compares. Coffee is just GROSS. LOL! Does Wally world not sell some sort of Starbucks beans?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Christina: We ALL do that from time to time... don't feel bad.

    Jenny: I like Starbucks, the store. Every single one I've ever been in is a nice environment... with good music, comfortable seating, fairly decent snacks/bakery goods, friendly and courteous baristas, and good.. but not GREAT... coffee. Most stores also sell a good selection of music, too.

    I've been in both places you mentioned, and the ENMU coffee bar is the better of the two. The coffee shop around the corner from Dr. Thompson's office ain't bad, either.

    The commissary carries Starbucks, both whole beans and ground. But... I've been drinking Millstone coffee for years now, and their "Bed and Breakfast," "Foglifter," and "Columbian" blends are in heavy rotation at El Casa Móvil De Pennington. Wally-World sells Millstone, too, but at a $2.00/pound premium over what the commissary gets. That alone makes my bi-weekly supply runs out to the base worthwhile... as there's quite a lot of coffee consumed in these parts. I think my heart would stop dead without the morning caffeination process... ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.