Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Apropos of Nothing...

I was doing some poking around in the archives, looking for something specific (which I found) and came across this... which I think is deserving of a re-run:



Merchandise YOU Can Use. Maybe.

An occasional correspondent sends this along, and I thought you might find some of these products useful…
Like this:
Just the thing if you find yourself in a hot ‘n’ heavy political discussion with a ‘bat. Or maybe your mother-in-law. Pull this out, offer ‘em a piece…and things should be all over but the shouting, eh? Well, discounting the possibility of a beating about your head and shoulders, if the discussion you're attempting to end is really with your M-I-L.
―:☺:―
This lil item on your immediate left, on the other hand, is something I have little or no use for these days. Assuming, of course, the product is meant to be a shared experience, as the packaging would seem to indicate.
You, Gentle Reader, are probably in a much different boat (and arguably a much better boat) than I.

―:☺:―
I might could change my…ummm… situation, were I to buy a ton of this stuff on the right.
Ya think?
Nah. Probably not. I probably would just get the sh!t slapped out of me, were I to offer a piece of "Get Lucky" gum to some unsuspecting sweet young older thang.
―:☺:―
And finally, I have absolutely NO use for the product on the left, nor do I know anyone (nowadays) that would. You have to squint to read it, but the gum comes in "Fresh Fruit Flavor." Heh.
I used to know folks that would buy a ton of this stuff, not that there's anything inherently wrong with that. But I left SFO five years ago… ya know?
All this merchandise and much, much more...available here.
Really.
Update: ...later that same evening. Dunno how I missed this, but I did. And I just had to rectify the oversight, of course. I might get one or two of these non-permanent tattoos. They're right up my alley.
Gnarly. Yes.



Re-runs are about all I have the motivation and/or energy for at the moment. I'm semi-preoccupied with watching the Dow Jones Industrials in free-fall mode (down 362, as I type... not as bad as -380, earlier) and wondering if my 401(k) will evaporate like a puddle after a New Mexico summer rain. The prospect of spending my dotage in penury isn't exactly appealing... yanno?

4 comments:

  1. I can see that I need to start squinting real hard, turn my head and barely peek before opening this site ;) !!

    On the market...see, I knew that someday there would be a good news side to the fact that I spend as fast as I earn and so have nada in the stock market!

    Is the sun at least shining Buck?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I yanked what I had (not a 401K) out of the market four months ago. Still hit me hard, but if I had stayed I would have lost almost all of it. It's buried in the back yard now. (Not really, but it might as well be with the CD rates the banks are paying now.) Don't know how those on the "fixed income" are managing to stay sane. Buck, I'm scared to death to do ANYTHING with what little I've got left.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey ... I have a package of that "give a s**t" gum on my desk!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ann asks: Is the sun at least shining Buck?

    Well... the day began clear and bright and went steadily downhill from there. It was completely overcast and about 45 degrees by mid-afternoon. Which fit my mood, exactly.

    Alison: I'm still in the market, but my portfolio is only (heh) down about 35%. I'm VERY conservative post dot-bomb bubble, where I lost about 50% of my investments... as I was heavy in tech holdings... at that point.

    About your point, though... While there are NO safe havens at this point, I think the money market might be the safest place to be, especially if inflation rears its ugly head, which WILL happen... eventually.

    Lori: Why am I NOT surprised? ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.