Monday, February 02, 2009

25 Things

The following is a meme that's circulating on Facebook. Taking my cue from Blog-Bud Barry... who also published HIS "25 Things" on both Facebook and his blog... I've decided to do the same. So, without further ado...
25 Things

1. I lived in London (six months), Paris (three years), and Ankara, Turkey (two years)… all before the age of 13. Which, of course, was one of the benefits of being an Air Force brat during the 1950s. I also returned to all those cities as an adult… living in London for three years during the ‘80s.

2. I was bi-lingual once upon a time and spoke French like a native. This isn’t an exaggeration… shopkeepers in Nice, France thought I was a French kid until I came into the stores with my parents in tow one day. (They abused me: I had to shop for them while we were on vacation.)

3. My French is completely gone now… a classic case of “use it or lose it.”

4. I crashed my dirt bikes hundreds of times and was run over twice in motocross and desert races. But never enough to be seriously injured, although I DID get knocked unconscious in a desert race once upon a time.

5. I WAS seriously injured in a motorcycle accident when a clue-free 19 year old girl turned left in front of me. I was doing 70 mph on a two-lane road in Michigan’s Thumb at the time. I was lucky I didn’t get killed.

6. I’ve had one serious car accident but walked away from that unscathed, as well. The car, however, was totaled.

7. I think I’m lucky where vehicles are concerned. (knocks on wood)

8. My best assignment in 22 years in the Air Force was three years at RAF Uxbridge in the London Borough of Hillingdon.

9. My worst assignment was Fortuna Air Force Station, North Dakota. I was there for one year, three days, eight hours and ten minutes. “Worst” is in terms of geographical location… the people were great. I NEVER had a bad assignment where people were concerned.

10. I have three friends I’ve known for over 30 years; one for over 40. I met all of them in the Air Force.

11. I’ve lost track of more people… good people… than I care to think about.

12. I seriously think the demise of “good manners” is ruining our country.

13. I’m a confessed internet JUNKIE. Life without a computer is unthinkable.

14. I’ve been a lifelong photographer. I got my first camera around age nine or ten… a Brownie Hawkeye.

15. Pachelbel’s “Canon in D Major” is my favorite piece of classical music.

16. And no… I didn’t first hear it in “Ordinary People.” But I was surprised and pleased as all get out when the credits ran.

17. The Rolling Stones are my favorite rock ‘n’ roll band. “The Greatest Rock ‘n’ Roll Band in the World” is NOT hyperbole when applied to the Rolling Stones. “Exile on Main Street” LIVES in my car.

18. I LOVE artichokes. Fresh from the steamer or cold… with drawn butter, or vinegar and oil, or mayonnaise. I’d like to meet the first guy that ever ate an artichoke.

19. Thai is my favorite ethnic cuisine. Japanese is a close second.

20. I don’t consider Mexican food “ethnic.” I live in New Mexico, ya know.

21. My passport expired four or five years ago. I may never renew it.

22. I consider loyalty to be one of life’s greatest virtues… if not THE greatest. Loyalty is in a dead heat with honesty, when you come right down to it.

23. I’m VERY proud with what my adult sons have done with their lives. I’m hoping their little brother lives up to their examples.

24. I’m agnostic, in one sense of the word. I believe in a higher power – I just don’t know his/her name. It could be “Bruce,” for all I know. But I like to think it’s something like “Phoebe.” The concept of The Goddess is alright with me.

25. I liked this meme better when it was only five things. But this wasn’t TOO hard.

I was at a total loss for an illustration for this post. It's late... and I'm "imaginatively challenged" in the midnite hour. Hmmm. Wilson Pickett!

17 comments:

  1. You have some interesting new things here, like the artichokes - who knew? And the Rolling Stones was a surprise too. Sharon tagged me, but I need to think on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The family and I shared a couple artichokes last night, the best ones that I have had in a long time. I'm heading to the store in a few to pick up more. As soon as my kids had a couple teeth, they were chewing on artichokes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is way cool! Too bad you though of it first or I think I may have done this one for one of my blogs. I still may after some time passes! I don't know why Lou was suprised with the Rolling Stones I might have guessed that one. I've been stationed in the UK and Turkey as well just different bases. I certainly agree on what you have to say about manners. Mine were beat into me and I think they stuck! Great post Buck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good ol' West Ruislip!

    Good stuff. Except the Passport.

    Renew it. You never know when you need to travel for a friend or loved one. Do it while there is no rush. You can use the old one as your application.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lou sez: You have some interesting new things here, like the artichokes - who knew? And the Rolling Stones was a surprise too. Sharon tagged me, but I need to think on this one.

    I acquired my taste for artichokes from my parents in the waaay-back... like when I was six or so. I also learned you don't put the leaves in a garbage disposal, either. BAD things happen...

    I'll be looking for your "25 Things"...

    Susan: I haven't seen GOOD artichokes in these parts for some time. They're mostly dried-up, thoroughly inedible examples... quite unlike the plump, tasty thistles all y'all get out in CA. Maybe in the Fall...

    Jenny: Thank ya, Ma'am!

    Dale: re: manners. I don't wanna be age-ist or anything, but I find it's us Old Fogeys who are still polite, in the main. It seems like the younger generations just can't be troubled with such niceties, ya know. Thanks for the good words!

    DC: I just can't see a need for a passport at this time. No one close to me lives overseas, and although The Second Mrs. Pennington is making noises about taking SN3 to England this summer, I'm quite sure she could handle whatever situations might arise. I'm just of the mind that my international travel days are over. That could change... and rapidly, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some thoughts you raised, Buck. Memories, memories. My German and Tagalog are gone, too. My worst naval experience was spending five days at Adak and Attu islands.
    But we're learning about you.
    Artichokes, eh? I just checked the Manners people and they recommend them as a finger food. And all these time I thought I was being gross male. Good post, Buck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooops. Meant to tell ya: you got a big mention at the Reading List on google. Go to Dashboard, scroll down. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All I can focus on is the artichokes - ick. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Barry tagged me too. Eventually. That's all I can promise. I've wondered about your number 18 myself. Artichoke, and frogs' legs.

    You'll enjoy knowing that somewhere along the line, "God please bless..." in bedtime prayers and mealtimes for my youngest daughter, became slurred into "Goddess bless..." We thought it was so cute we just never corrected her.

    Thanks for sharing, Buck. Eventually. I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cat: I'd love to see someone attempt to eat an artichoke without using their fingers! THAT would be a hoot!

    Meant to tell ya: you got a big mention at the Reading List on google. Go to Dashboard, scroll down. Congrats.

    Reading list? Where? Are you talking about Blogger's dashboard and the "Bogs of Note" section? I checked that and I'm not there... I also googled (heh) "google reading list" and came up empty, too. So I'm left scratching my head on this one...

    Doc sez: Barry tagged me too. Eventually. That's all I can promise.

    Eventually is good enough for me... as I know you'll get around to it. Eventually. ;-)

    I don't "do" frog legs... tried 'em, even went back a couple of times, but I guess the question (for me) is... why? Chicken's easier, with more meat. Tastes about the same, too.

    And that is TOO cool about your daughter and the goddess... thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A friend reports that his son's school used "be safe, be kind, be legal" as a sort of mantra for the kids.

    This was adopted in my friend's family, and quickly morphed into "be safe, be kinda legal."

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was adopted in my friend's family, and quickly morphed into "be safe, be kinda legal."

    Hey... that's ME! (too) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. 11, 12, 13, 22, 24...yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes!

    Verrrrrry interesting info, Buck. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Christina: So am I to assume all the others are "no, no, no..." and so on? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Not necessarily...just that I agree heartily on those particular points.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Finally got around to mine. Better late than never. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.