Friday, December 12, 2008

Pain and Piñatas

Yesterday was profoundly weird in a physical sense. I was up until all hours Wednesday night/Thursday morning as is my habit… I finally gave it up and hit the sack sometime around 0300 hrs. I felt absolutely, positively normal when I went to bed; six hours later I awoke to screaming pain in my lower back and left leg. “Screaming pain” is defined as difficult to walk or stand up straight and impossible to sit comfortably… in this particular case. Rx: two Aleves and back to bed. The Aleves took the edge off, but things weren’t “right” for the entire day and I spent 90% of said entire day flat on my back, as that was the only position I could tolerate.

This literally freaks me out when it happens but it doesn’t happen all that often, Thank God. Long-time readers may recall I’ve mentioned I had back surgery for a herniated disk ten years ago. The operation was successful but the recuperation process was lengthy (eight months or so) and certainly wasn’t pain-free, in and of itself. This was an event I’ll never forget and is the very first thing I think of when I experience ANY sort of back pain, and most particularly the type of back pain that is accompanied with pain in either leg. Freaks me right the Hell out, it does. The Good News: I got a good night’s sleep and I’m fine today. The Bad News: I have NO idea why this happened.

―:☺:―

The upshot of the above is yesterday was pretty much an “internet-free” sort of day. I spent some quality time with C-SPAN (a LOT, actually)… watching the Senate floor debate on the auto industry bridge loan and associated comment here and there. Most all y’all Gentle Readers are probably most gratified to learn the Republican filibuster held and the bridge loan failed. But I’m sure ya knew that already. Interestingly enough the Dow Jones Industrials are up…modestly… in the early going. Today will probably be a day of volatility in the markets as I’ve seen 100-point swings already. It looks as if Harry Reid was wrong (ed: what’s new about that?) about today being a market bloodbath (or words to that effect). Harry was speaking specifically of the US market when he made his statement last evening, but he might as well have been speaking about global markets. They ain't doin' so well.

“Let us pray…”

―:☺:―

Today’s Pic: I spent about two months in Brownsville, TX back in 2000. I made a weekly trip over the river to Matamoros to pick up expensive tequila cheap (hecho en México), cheap Kahula (hecho en México, también), cheap cigars (hecho somewhere entirely different but the country of origin shall remain unnamed), eat, drink, and be otherwise entertained… the last item in the foregoing being the subject of today’s pic.

I spent about 30 minutes in this piñata store, chatting with the nice saleslady and the folks that made the piñatas you see here. I was amazed that one could make a business… and an apparently successful business, at that… out of a single product as esoteric as the piñata. But then again, piñatas ain’t strange at all in México, are they?

I thought piñatas were pretty appropriate for today's post, since the US auto industry has been beat all to Hell and back in these pages... well, in comments, anyway... of late. Just sayin'.

February, 2000.

10 comments:

  1. Sorry bout the pain, but glad it is gone today. Shelby had a pain in her foot a couple days ago, did nothing to cause it. She hobbled around a couple days, finally went away.

    wish I could start a business like that. something someone enjoys doing and doesn't look like it would make much. But they somehow keep afloat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you are feeling better. I bet a trip to Mexico to buy pinatas, cigars, and cheap liquor could cure most anything - maybe even the winter blues.

    When we lived in McAllen, we crossed the border quite often for the different tastes of Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prayer said for no more pain, Buck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the good wishes, all y'all.

    Jenny: Yeah, I hear ya about the business. I feel the same way. And it's good to hear Shelby is OK.

    Lou: A trip to Mexico DOES sound enticing right now! And only about a five hour drive from me, too. Something to think about... including the wisdom of going to Juarez, in light of all the narco-wars going on down there at the moment. That's kinda scary.

    Jim: Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like sciatic pain to me...but what do I know...;)

    I wish I could come up with some bizarre yet ridiculously successful business. Well, I can dream, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like sciatic pain to me...but what do I know...;)

    You know a LOT. And I agree with you, I just hope this was something along the lines of "a pinched nerve," as this sciatic pain is sometimes called. I have my fingers crossed, given as how more than 24 hours have passed and I feel fine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Buck - so sorry about your pain. As you know, I deal with that kind of pain 24/7, at least for now. Appt. with surgeon on December 23rd is going to hopefully set me on a path with a plan, instead of the path of daily, mind-numbing pain that I'm on today.

    Glad it went away - sometimes all you have to do is move wrong in your sleep and it sets off that kind of thing. A day of wise rest and all can be well. Glad it was that way for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmm. Do you carry your wallet in your back pocket? Do you generally SIT on your wallet? Stuff like that can cause piriformis syndrome, where your sciatic nerve gets entrapped by a tightened piriformis muscle (in your butt-cheek!), this can cause so-called pseudo-sciatica, since the real deal is caused by nerve root impingement, and is a much more serious matter. I have my suspicions, especially since the pain went away relatively quickly. Though I'm sure it didn't seem that way to you! You need more frequent massage, that's all there is to it. Which really goes for the entire population in general. The world would be a better place if everyone just got a massage. And, incidentally, I'd have a lot more money, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Buck - Sorry to be so late getting here; been busy with Christmas and not getting around to the blogs this week. I am sorry about your pain, and believe me I can relate. I live with chronic pain in my hands and knees and then there is the occasional unexplainable flare-up from the pinched nerves in my low back and my cervical spine -- the hazards of a long career in nursing.

    Anyway, the beauty of it all is, sometimes the pain goes away without us doing anything. Glad yours did.

    I think Christina could be on to something: all this pain could have been caused by sitting on that wallet crammed with all that good American currency!

    I agree a trip to Mexico sounds like fun but Juarez right now might just be too risky.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kris: I'm glad you've got that appointment to set things right, as I said over at your house. Constant debilitating pain just takes ALL the fun out of life.

    Christina sez: Hmmm. Do you carry your wallet in your back pocket? Do you generally SIT on your wallet?

    Yes and no. I carry my wallet in my back pocket but rarely sit on it (only while in the car) coz I always take it OUT of my pocket when I'm home. A lesson-learned, that is.

    As far as more frequent massage for me and everyone else? Gotta agree with ya there!

    Sharon sez: I live with chronic pain in my hands and knees and then there is the occasional unexplainable flare-up from the pinched nerves in my low back and my cervical spine -- the hazards of a long career in nursing.

    I know more than a few people in the same or similar boat, Sharon. Not necessarily from a nursing career, but from other pursuits (sports claims a lot of victims) or just simple old age. I should just count my blessings in this space, tho, rather than whine. I'm remarkably free of the physical ailments of old age. So far. (He knocks on wood... repeatedly and vigorously.)

    And yeah... I think Juarez is on hold for a while!

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.