Tuesday, November 18, 2008

This Just In... Literally

The Brown Truck of Happiness has come and gone... and one of my favorite ladies in all the world left me with yet another way to broaden my horizons. To wit:

And for those of you who may have noticed the rather cryptic comment exchange between Blog-Bud Mike and I about “Acids” in the Auto-industry post below… your explanation is in the second photo above. Further details are here, if’n you’re at all interested.
And now it’s time for Happy Hour! I believe we’ll begin with a “Liquid” and a 1554…

Update, 1540 hrs: Unaccustomed as I am to writing criticism… not to mention the fact that I don’t really speak “critic”… as in “hints of pistachio, with a light impact on the discerning palette” or some such drivel… I’ll attempt to give it a go. I had that Liquid and a 1554 on the verandah and it was over all too quickly. Primarily because the cigar was over right about the time I finished my first beer, and most of my regular smokes tend to last thru two beers, if not longer. The fact the Liquid went quickly wasn’t because the cigar was dry; on the contrary… the cigar was moist and eminently “smokable.” It just went quick. That said, the cigar was interesting. I use “interesting” advisedly, as most of us tend to use that word these days when we want to be polite and not call a spade a spade, most commonly in the sense that something… anything… might be piss-poor in our eyes but we don’t want to offend. Such is NOT the case here.
Nope… I enjoyed the Liquid. Here’s a review written by someone with more experience in the critic’s language:
Acid Liquid cigars are mild to medium bodied, Robusto-size cigars rolled inside a smooth-smoking Connecticut Shade wrapper. The smoke presents hints of cashew nuts, plus a virtual kaleidoscope of spices and botanicals. The cigar burns clean with a toasty, woody finish.
Another:
Acid has won my heart. The Acid liquid is apart of Acid's Red Line of cigars. The Cigar is short and fat. It is a mild to medium bodied cigar. It has a hint of cashew and other spices. This cigar had a minty taste and aroma. The spices appeared to be peppery and it had a nice draw. I really enjoyed this cigar. Way to go, Acid!
The last review is interesting, as it’s written by someone under the by-line of “Maduro Woman.” Which brings me to my next point… I see Acids (at least the two I’ve sampled) as a great introduction to the wide, wonderful world of cigars. They are most definitely different and most definitely unusual, as far as cigars go. Apropos of nothing… I detected a hint of patchouli in the Liquid, which isn’t an entirely BAD thing, Gentle Reader. I’ll also emphasize the word hint. The patchouli wasn’t overbearing… I sensed a hint of the aroma, and that’s all. And I like patchouli… the aroma brings back great and oh-so-stimulating memories, patchouli does. As it would to any (former) counter-culturist worth his or her salt, but we digress.
So. I’m taking the second (and perhaps more) beer inside El Casa Móvil De Pennington while enjoying a Kuba Kuba. It’s not my habit to smoke inside the house but I’ll make an exception in this case. I want to savor the aroma of the smoke, both directly and of a second-hand nature in the clouds of exhaled smoke that are wreathing around my head as I write. It’s a great good experience, Gentle Reader. I like the Kuba Kuba better than the Liquid, at first blush. That may change, but I think not. You’ll find some brief Kuba Kuba reviews here.
Bottom line: I’ll keep experimenting with the Acids, and I’ll keep a few of ‘em in the humidor, too. They’re pretty danged good.

16 comments:

  1. Thanks for the explanation re "Acids." I was getting ready to ship you a bunch of Jefferson Airplane records to enhance your user experience. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're having a lovely evening. I enjoy a good cigar on occasion, but since I'm fairly ignorant on the topic, I let my husband pick them out for me.

    I'll suggest these to him for our next smoking session.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or Grateful Dead albums. But let's not go there. It's all behind us now. ;-)

    I really like these Acid thingies. I think I'll keep 'em... so to speak.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Daphne... We were writing together but separately, LOL! The Acids are pretty good, as noted. You could do a LOT worse (and I have).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not a huge cigar fan, but an ex-smoker, and I do harbor a little forbidden love for the act, if nothing else. Sometimes I miss it, is all I am saying, and a cigar every now and then hits the spot. A co-worker just had a baby, and brought me a stogie, which I need to smoke soon. It's a "La Fontana." Any help with that?

    my confession

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Uncle Buck, just so's ya know...OKC now has a freaking COOL cigar bar...its called Maker's...perhaps you could Google it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don’t have personal experience with La Fontanas, Andy… and there are lotsa different varieties within the brand. But, that said, there’s a good review here. It looks like your friend gifted you with a decent smoke. Better than a Dutch Masters, anyway. Oops… there’s the snob in me, coming out again. ;-)

    Now... off to read your post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, Jay... I doubt I'll be in OKC anytime soon, but thanks for the tip. A new cigar bar is quite the occasion in this day and age!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you liked the Acids...from the first picture it looks like you've got at least one of the Irish Hops Naturals. I smoked that the other day, have yet to review it, but I think you'll really enjoy it. A nice mix of earth and hops, if you can picture that in a cigar, with a hint of sweetness (almost like a beer brewed with some fruit...Cherry Wheat or Pyramid Apricot, etc.)

    Also concur on your observation that Acids would be a good way to introduce someone to cigar smoking, as they aren't nearly as dry, bitter, or any of the other "negative" tastes commonly associated with cigars. Kind of like starting someone out drinking beer with a Cherry Wheat versus an IPA.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad to know that you and Mike are not doing drugs - it makes the thought of smoking cigars seem quite nice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahhhh, life must be good Buck...those are pricey little numbers.

    My cigar smoking is on hold for the duration of winter...{unless we get a rare day in the 60s with sun}... until April at least. Just another reason to hate winter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I only have smoked two cigars in my life -- but I love to read cigar talk. Your post and the comments were "interesting.... with a hint of spice." :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Last cigars I smoked were many moons ago, some Garcia Y Vegas. I suppose those aren't much above the Dutch Masters, eh? If I decide to give 'em a go again, I'll give Acid a try.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mike sez: Glad you liked the Acids...from the first picture it looks like you've got at least one of the Irish Hops Naturals.

    Nope... two Natural varieties in the sampler: Dirt and Root. I gotta hand it to Drew... his cigars have some of the most imaginative and bizarre names in the biz! I like that. The names wouldn't mean squat unless the product was good, tho, and in this case: it is. The rest of your comment is spot-on.

    Lou sez: I'm so glad to know that you and Mike are not doing drugs - it makes the thought of smoking cigars seem quite nice.

    Lou! You didn't REALLY think we were doing drugs, didja? Although it might could be a different story if'n you were to crank up the Way-Back machine and set the controls for 1970. Maybe. ;-)

    But then again, it would have to be some other Mike, of course... as Our Mike wasn't even CLOSE to being born then.

    Pat sez: Ahhhh, life must be good Buck...those are pricey little numbers.

    My cigar smoking is on hold for the duration of winter...{unless we get a rare day in the 60s with sun}... until April at least. Just another reason to hate winter.


    The prices are why I wait for these "one day deals." Total cost was $3.20 per stick, shipping and handling included. That's not unreasonable.

    I feel for ya about your WX. We're having a great day here today but I stayed up/got up so late I'm not taking advantage of it. I COULD be taking my "morning" coffee on the verandah with a cigar instead of answering comments... but "Duty Calls." LOL!

    Sharon sez: but I love to read cigar talk. Your post and the comments were "interesting.... with a hint of spice." :)

    LOL! Sorta on-topic: have you seen those tee shirts with "Talk Nerdy to Me!" on 'em? That's exactly what your comment made me think of...

    Jim sez: Last cigars I smoked were many moons ago, some Garcia Y Vegas. I suppose those aren't much above the Dutch Masters, eh? If I decide to give 'em a go again, I'll give Acid a try.

    I've smoked way more than a few GyVs in my time, Jim... but that time was quite a while ago. You're right tho: they ain't the best.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I tried one of the Acids--I forget the kind--and a couple of the Drew Estates. Very mild with the odd botanicals to smack back atcha. I guess I'm more partial to Gurkhas, Graycliff 1666, Rocky Patel vintage, and Partagas Black. If you like that sort of thing.

    I have had good luck with cigarsinternational.com with their prices and selection--plus, they are pretty military-friendly and sponsor a big orphanage in Nicaragua near (IIRC) the Drew Estate holdings down there. If you've got the scratch try their "Sampler to End All Samplers"; it was a big hit around here at my wetting down, as I smoke maybe a cigar a quarter usually and the friends sucked 'em down pretty durn quick...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Chap! Thanks for the link, most appreciated. I like Ghurkas and Partagas, as well. As a matter f fact, Partagas' Spanish Rosado is the smoke of choice in these parts, but I venture into other Partagas territory from time to time. Hard to beat, they are.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.