Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Partisan

I’ll make no pretense of being Fair and Balanced this morning. Last night was a GOOD night at the RNC and I was most impressed with the quality of the speeches delivered by Fred Thompson, Joe Lieberman, and President Bush, in that specific order. And since we’re ALL about public service here at EIP (my mantra of late, with tongue both in and out of cheek), I’m gonna publish last night’s speeches, courtesy of C-SPAN’s YouTube Channel. Just in case you…ya know… missed them.

You get a two-fer where Dubya is concerned, as the First Lady introduces her husband. And Laura is magnificent. Yeah… I love that woman, unabashedly. I consider her to be one of the best First Ladies, if not THE best, in my lifetime. Would that Dubya had her favorable approval ratings. And about Dubya: I’m one of those “dead-enders”… one of the 27% of Americans who still respect the man and think he’s doing a good job. So sue me. I have issues with some of the things he’s done, and I flat don’t approve of others. But overall? I think he’s done good… especially considering the alternatives we could have had: The Goreacle or John F’n Kerry. Your Mileage most certainly May Vary, statistics and polls being what they are.

First: Fred Thompson (27:19 minutes, with innumerable excellent one-liner sound bites that we’ll see in abundance for the remainder of this campaign):


And now… Senator Lieberman (21:16 minutes):


And finally… Laura and Dubya (19:12 minutes):


I’m in the process of reading comment, snark, and other such stuff on these speeches this morning. But my bottom line is this: we have a crystal-clear choice this November, and the people that took the podium last night in St. Paul emphasized that choice in a manner that should leave NO doubt in any American’s mind.

It was an excellent night.

9 comments:

  1. I totally agree. And I want to know WHERE was that Fred when he was in the running? He spoke well, and he LOOKED well (during his campaign I have to say, he did not look healthy at all). I hung onto every word he said. My poor daughter is probably going to fail her science test today because I wouldn't help her study til AFTER the speeches. LOL! Excellent television.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have the same take on Fred as the Talking Heads did in the post-speech analyses, Jenny. I was absolutely wow'ed by his performance, to say the VERY least.

    Ya know... despite my protestations, I really did TRY to watch some of the stuff at the DNC last week. But I simply couldn't. I suppose Dems might feel the same way about last night, but I sincerely HOPE some of 'em watched Lieberman. That's sorta like hoping for ice water in Hell, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I concur Buck, Laura is the best and I’m not ashamed to say I got a little crush on her (no offense Mr. President).

    Fred was awesome, loved the zingers.

    43 was very good, wish he could have been there in person, would have been a good send off for 8 glorious years. (Yea, I’m a 27 percenter too and not afraid to tell anyone).

    I didn’t watch Lieberman, dude puts me to sleep. Sorry Joe, thanks for sticking your neck out there but…zzz…zzz…Now stick your lovely daughter behind ya’ and I’ll watch ya’ all night long!

    BTW, visiting via House of E, I may stick around since I like what I see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have watched all the speeches that have been televised at BOTH conventions (except for the Messiah's) ... and last night all the speeches were BY FAR the best. Wow what a night! It is starting to feel good to be a Republican again. I also am a Bush "dead ender" - I feel that he is a good man who has been demonized for many years. I am no Fred Thompson fan, but his speech about Sen. McCain's life was spectacular. I could hardly believe after that emotional recounting of what McCain gave for this country, this morning the headline I saw online was "FRED THOMPSON ATTACKS OBAMA." HUH????

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fine speech by Fred. McCain has a solid reputation for leaving fine things about him unsaid, or to be commented-upon by others. This is one of many things about him that speak well for his character.

    I think allowing this to trickle down into the campaign is a huge mistake -- this tendency to say "McCain was tortured" and, since Obama was not, simply leave things there and move on to the next subject. Really glad Fred is filling in the details here. It had to be done.

    And it pains me to do so, but I'll have to echo Jenny's question. The talking point that was opened up about Fred was that he was boring. With one single exception, the night before it came to an end, Fred consistently fell into the trap. Very much like a boxer or wrestler who had been paid-off. Not that I'm suggesting that's what happened, but his behavior was surreal in my mind.

    They're both wonderful guys. Fred would've been much better. John's the best out of the guys who remain, and I hope he doesn't let us down. Just not as reliable as Fred.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tim: We're most definitely on the same page! Thanks for dropping by and I hope to see more of ya.

    Sharon sez: I have watched all the speeches that have been televised at BOTH conventions (except for the Messiah's) ... and last night all the speeches were BY FAR the best.

    ...

    ...this morning the headline I saw online was "FRED THOMPSON ATTACKS OBAMA." HUH????


    You're a better person than I, Sharon. As noted above, I really, really tried to watch the DNC. But the speakers at that event just evoked such a visceral response from me... and I ain't talking about GOOD things here... that I gave it up, in the interests of my on-going health (think: blood pressure) and sanity. It was much, much easier to read the comment after the fact, rather than subject myself to rhetorical torture.

    re: your last. Yeah, simply amazing, ain't it? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We were typing together, Morgan. I'm pretty sure Fred was Jenny's guy, and I KNOW he was your first choice. Things might have turned out way different had his rhetoric been as sparkling throughout the primaries as it was last evening. I was MOST impressed. As Sharon noted, all the speakers last evening were good; Fred was GREAT.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The attacks by the shrill left wing lapdogs of the DNC are entertaining to say the least{If you know hate when you read it}.

    Should those promothing the lies being printed about Sarah Palin and her family, be drawn and quartered? Absolutely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for posting the speeches. I was able to sit here and drink my coffee and watch at my leisure - and they were good (both the coffee and the speeches).

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.