Saturday, September 13, 2008

College Game Day!!

Yep, s’true:

How galling it must be to Michigan and Notre Dame.

Here they are, the two programs atop the all-time wins list, and they've been banished to relative obscurity while their two most bitter rivals, Ohio State and USC, soak up attention and adulation for their Coliseum showdown.

Charlie Weis' bulletin board offering for the Irish's quest for redemption after being pounded by a combined score of 85-21 by Michigan in the past two years can't even move the meter for this one. After all, Notre Dame and Michigan combined have one fewer vote in the AP poll than Rice. Score that 1-0 Owls.

This game carries the same national significance Ralph Nader wields in the presidential race. It's jolting to see these two proud programs on college football's version of the Green Party ticket. But I'm still looking forward to it. What can I say? I love the tradition, or maybe I just rubberneck in case there's a train wreck.

I’m looking forward to it, too. Say what you will about ND and Big Blue… they still have the winning-est records in college ball and some of the game's most devoted fans. There aren’t many bandwagoneers in South Bend or Ann Arbor, ya know… but there ARE a whole helluva lot of REAL fans. And like all great teams, both schools have huge national followings, even some on The High Plains of New Mexico!

3:43
(ET) this afternoon, NBC.

So… who to hate in that marquee game today? That’s a tough one! SC should probably be the winner in my personal hate-active dislike-fest, but they’re playing OSU… a team whose fans are simply insufferable when they win and even more insufferable when they lose, too. But that’s OK, Buckeye fans think Michigan fans are retarded, at best. So… OSU gets the nod.

Go Trojans!

Other than these two games… I ain’t got a dog in any of the other fights. But I will watch!!

―:☺:―
A couple of re-runs that are more than appropriate for College Game Day…


The Rules

I missed this today before I posted, but it would have fit right in with the lead two items in this morning’s post: Time for the new rules for college football fandom.” Samples:
1. As a fan, you have to pick a school, one school, same as if you were filling out applications to, you know, go to school there. You may not be a fan of a conference, teams from a specific state, "West Coast football" or college football in general. Nobody is a fan of college football in general, not even Lee Corso. Nor may you root for Harvard and Yale, any more than you could matriculate at both places, unless you're really, really smart, in which case you're probably building prototype military surveillance nanobots in your MIT dorm room, and/or devising a computerized ranking system* to shame Jeff Sagarin.
1a. Under extenuating circumstances, however, you may have up to three Division I-A rooting allegiances, so long as the schools meet the following criteria:
(a) Your birthplace/family school – especially if an inheritance is at stake, or if a campus library bears your last name.
(b) Al(most)ma mater – the school you transferred from.
(c) The school that actually handed you a diploma. Or would have, if you hadn't finished three credits short.
(d) Your spouse's school, especially if the program is vastly superior to your own, or your spouse cares waaaay more than you do, in which case: good call on getting married!
(e) You're a bandwagon-jumping, low-self-esteem weenie and scurry from Notre Dame to Miami to Ohio State to USC to Boise State depending on the year, the polls and the amount of water flooding into the ship.
If you can't be true to a school, at least be true to your own weaselly nature.
[…]
4. If you attended a lower-division or NAIA school, you're allowed to pick a D-I school of your choice. But you must consistently root for that school year in and year out, and it's preferred that the school be geographically close to you.
4a. Or you can just root for Appalachian State every week.
4b. Notre Dame? How very original.
[…]
9. You are allowed to root freely against the following schools for no specific reasons: Notre Dame; Notre Dame in their puke-green jerseys; Notre Dame when playing on "Triumph of the Will"-shaming propaganda house organ NBC; USC; any school that plays its fight song approximately 4,387 times per game like USC; Michigan; Miami; Ohio State; any school like Ohio State with a pretentious "the" in front of its name, because otherwise how would we know which Ohio State university they were talking about?; any school coached by Steve Spurrier; any school coached by Nick Saban. (ed: I’d add “any team from Florida” to this list, but that’s a minor quibble.)
You may have noticed that I’m in the 4b fan category. Given that I never went to college, I’m free to root for the school of my choice, under rules Four and 1a (d) above, even if that means I root for my former spouse’s school (The Second Mrs. Pennington is a Notre Dame alumna). And I have been an ND fan for nearly 30 years now and don’t foresee any change in that status on the near or far horizons. It’s way too late to change allegiances at this point in life. While we’re at it, I should mention I’m a fan of, and root for, at least three schools, depending on who’s playing whom: ND, Michigan (the ten year living-in-Detroit connection), and Air Force. For reasons that should be obvious now. The only time I’m torn is when ND plays Air Force…and I well and truly don’t know what to do during that game. Very traumatic, that.
So, to the author of “The Rules,” especially Rule 4b: Put a sock in it. I like ‘em, otherwise.
And...

A Timely Update

In anticipation of tomorrow’s football games football orgy, I give you the Readers Updates to The Rules. There are some pretty good ones…and I’ll only give you the ones that made me laugh out loud (here, in this post)…
62. You are allowed to root for another school while your team is on probation. (STU_UNGAR1975)
62a. Except in the SEC. This would be way too confusing.
69. All fans are allowed to root for one service academy, but you must pick one. (terpman19)
69a. If you pick Air Force, you must call them the Zoomies.
(ed: UmmmI’ll respectfully submit a corollary: “Unless you are IN the Air Force, or SERVED in the Air Force, or RETIRED from the Air Force. You will then call the team ‘Air Force.’”)
91. Unless you win the BCS title game, you are not the national champions. I don't care what the AP poll says. (egomaniac)
95. Any conference called "The Big Ten" that in fact has 11 teams must man up and kick one out. (htighe811)
95a. Any Big Ten team who loses to a Division I-AA team is the candidate to be kicked out.
100. Unless you matriculated and graduated from Stanford, Cal Tech, MIT or an Ivy League school, you may not use your alma mater's scholastic excellence as a valid excuse for crappy football. (That means you, Michigan, Notre Dame and Cal.) (winstoncounty)
By the way, the names in parentheses are the people that submitted the rule.
Oh. Almost forgot: GO Irish!!
Be nice and play by the rules all y’all! And I hope your team wins. Unless your team happens to be Michigan or Ohio State, that is.

12 comments:

  1. I absolutely loved all the college football rules. I am a Kansas Jayhawk fan for life by virtue of graduating there in 1992. We suffer the ups and downs like all schools, the wonderful victories and the heartbreaking losses through the years, but a fan is a fan is a fan forever.

    ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!!!!! (I think we have the best cheer and the best school song, too!)

    I don't have to get my heartbroken today, that happened last night in the last second loss to U. of South Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain, Sharon. There's not a fan alive that hasn't been there, as you were last evening. (well, anyone who's been a fan for more than three seasons, anyway) And it always hurts!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LSU finally gets to play! As you probably know, last week's game was postponed due to Gustav.

    I'm watching Notre Dame even as I type. Tough what happened to Charlie Weiss, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm watching Notre Dame even as I type.

    Hey! Me, too! Strange co-inky-dink, eh? ;-)

    Weis really played that tough-guy thing well while walking off after the half, eh?

    Q: "What hurts?"
    A: "28-17"

    I laughed my ass off!

    So... LSU later. Should be a walk, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whats wrong with Florida teams?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Should be. I just hope one of the local stations carries it.

    I laughed when he said, "I got my Tommy Brady thing". (Or whatever it was).

    Tommy Brady. *Snicker*

    Oh, and when Notre Dame scored those first two touchdowns, I was wondering how loud you were yelling. Looks like it's going to be a good year for the Irish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dan sez: Whats wrong with Florida teams?

    In a word: hubris. In another word: attitude, as in "bad." In three other words: Johnson, Jimmy (historical, re: Miami); Spurrier, and Bowden. It seems like Florida football teams have all the bad stuff about college ball and not a lot of the good stuff. But... as ever, YMMV. One could say similar things about other states and/or conferences, eh?

    Becky sez: Oh, and when Notre Dame scored those first two touchdowns, I was wondering how loud you were yelling. Looks like it's going to be a good year for the Irish.

    LOUD. Jumping up and down, "YES! YES! YES!", kinda loud.

    As for "a good year for the Irish..." I think the jury's still out. Michigan played about as poorly as I've ever seen a team from A2 play. Take away the six turnovers they made and the game would have been COMPLETELY different. But then again, ND capitalized on the turnovers and forced at least two. So... who knows? I think it's more like "Michigan is gonna have a sucky year, this year..." as opposed to ND having a good one. More will be revealed, eh?

    And it WAS a walk for LSU, but I'm betting ya didn't get to see much beyond highlights on SportsCenter...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to agree with your response. I am a Gators fan but never cared too much for Spurrier and frankly was glad when he failed so miserably in the pro's.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And it WAS a walk for LSU, but I'm betting ya didn't get to see much beyond highlights on SportsCenter...

    I watched the entire game on ENSP360.com. Pretty cool site, that.

    Still, the game was almost boring. It almost felt like LSU was spending the entire second half just trying to run out the clock. Whether that's true or not is a different story, but it's the feeling I got.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great rules. I enjoyed watching Michigan get their butts handed to them. Never have liked them. Stems back to losing a bet - on them - in the 1970's.

    BC fan myself, which means I'm in for a fairly lackluster year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I sat and watched Missouri in the rain Saturday. We were a little worried at halftime, especially after Nevada scoring from ~25 yards out on the last play of the first half. If we can't keep Nevada from scoring, Kansas, Nebraska, even K-State are going to be a problem. And if we end up playing Oklahoma for the Big 12 Championship again....

    I decided I'd be happy if the score ended up whatever to 17 (Nevada's halftime score). Apparently the Missouri defense decided that as well and came through -- tacking on their own touchdown with only like 1:17 to go. Apparently Pinkel wanted the backup DB to hit the turf after the interception in the name of sportsmanship... but hey, this guy never gets to play, had the ball and a clear shot at the endzone. Mom and Dad were probably in the stands.... he probably dreamed of this moment. I doubt he even heard the coach. 69-17. Still need to work on that pass defense. If we don't and Chase Daniels ever has a bad day...

    We then watched the ND-Michigan game while out for Pizza. We love Notre Dame, and we HATE Michigan (for reasons completely out of Michigan's control). So that was a no-brainer. And it worked out well :-)

    The wife hates Ohio State. Me, I liked 'em growing up. But I don't really care anymore.

    Thus wound up a day of College Football for us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jim sez: BC fan myself, which means I'm in for a fairly lackluster year.

    Why does that NOT surprise me? And I know ALL about "lackluster years." Last year, specifically. And painfully.

    Phil sez: I sat and watched Missouri in the rain Saturday. We were a little worried at halftime...

    I only saw highlights on SportsCenter, but it sure looked like a blow-out to me. I think there's a danged good chance you'll play OU for the Big 12 title, too. The polls seem to agree, as well, but ya know how THAT goes.

    We have similar feelings about ND, it appears. But I have a soft spot for Big Blue, as noted. That comes from the Deetroit connection, also as noted. It was either Michigan or Michigan State... sort of a no-brainer. For me, anyhoo.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.