Monday, June 02, 2008

What Must Pass for a Post....These Days

In my second “Amazon Marketing E-Mail” post in as many weeks… I give you the Krups B-95 Home Beer-Tap System. This was but one item in the first of what I suspect…strongly suspect… will be many Fathers Day love notes from Amazon. If I were still living my old life I’d have me one of these. Or two. Coz it’s foolish to limit one’s self to just ONE brand of beer. OTOH, the reviews say it only works with Heineken “draughtkegs,” so mebbe not. Actually, most definitely not.
As it’s said: “So many beers, so little time.” And Dutch mass-produced beer, while better than Bud, Miller, or Coors (ptui!), is still mass-produced, lowest common denominator beer.
Yeah, I AM a beer snob. So sue me.
―:☺:―
Bo Diddley, a singer and guitarist who invented his own name, his own guitars, his own beat and, with a handful of other musical pioneers, rock ’n’ roll itself, died Monday at his home in Archer, Fla . He was 79.
[…]
In the 1950s, Mr. Diddley — along with Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis and a few others — helped reshape the sound of popular music worldwide, building it on the templates of blues, southern gospel and rhythm and blues. His original style of R&B influenced generations of musicians. And his Bo Diddley syncopated beat — three strokes/rest/two strokes — became a stock rhythm of rock ’n’ roll.
There’s lots more at the link, above… including some fine history if you’re a lil bit short in that space.
All those named in the excerpt above (and Elvis! who is strangely absent) were my heroes as I came of age back in the mid- and late ‘50s. And they helped me drive the Old Man nuts, too, which, of course, is one of the prime objectives of teen-agers anywhere and everywhere. My Mom, on the other hand, was (at the very least) an accomplice in driving the Ol Man nuts, if not a partner-in-crime. Mom took to rock ‘n’ roll like the proverbial duck to water. That fact didn’t raise my eyebrows until much, much later in life when I realized what an exception she was, as compared to most moms her age, and most especially where rock ‘n’ roll was concerned. Mom would have hated actively disliked Tipper Gore & Friends.
RIP, Mr. Diddley…and thank you.
―:☺:―
So… here we sit, a little over four hours from the time the puck hits the ice at Joe Louis Arena, wondering if tonight will really be THE night, or if we'll we have to wait another two, four, or more days until the Wings raise the Cup. (Don't even say what you might be thinking, Gentle Reader.)
As for yourself, Gentle Reader, you’re probably glad all this Cup Craziness is coming to an end. After all, hockey has been about the only thing on the menu here at EIP since mid-April. I can understand how non-fans might think it’s getting just a wee bit old. So… I’ll promise you this: if the Wings win tonight there will only be one more hockey post until October.
Well, OK… that’s a lie. There will be at least two. I’ll have to post pics of the parade, ya know.

8 comments:

  1. Hockey season is like a good book - It gets really exciting toward the end and you cannot wait until the finish. But then you hate for then end to come, because then it is over. Go Wings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd hate to get in that hockey crowd!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it will make beer last longer and stay cooler...I need one!

    Bye Bo, and thanks for putting rock in rock'n roll!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's your party Buck you can post hockey if you want to. Most of us will still come. At least I think so ;)

    Go Wings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. From where I sit, which is right on the verge of Oklahoma summertime, the home tap thingy looks pretty inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. beer and blues...never bad fodder there. Beer snobs UNITE!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, I like Heineken. Compared to Genny, it's like nectar ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lou sez: Hockey season is like a good book - It gets really exciting toward the end and you cannot wait until the finish. But then you hate for then end to come, because then it is over. Go Wings!

    Agreed. But last night was just TOO exciting for me. So... the season lives on, for one if not two, more games.

    Jenny sez: I'd hate to get in that hockey crowd!

    There are more people in that pic than the entire population of Curry and Roosevelt counties, combined. And it was a happy crowd... I'd have LOVED to been there!

    Ashley sez: It's your party Buck you can post hockey if you want to. Most of us will still come. At least I think so ;)

    Noted, Ash...and thanks. And yeah, it IS my party, so to speak. Hockey will continue until the end of the season, be it bitter or sweet!

    Amy sez: From where I sit, which is right on the verge of Oklahoma summertime, the home tap thingy looks pretty inviting.

    I thought so, too...until I saw the thing was "Heineken-only." ;-)

    Jay sez: Beer snobs UNITE!

    United! Right here.

    Laurie sez: Compared to Genny, it's like nectar ;)

    Ummm... even Coors (not Coors Light!) is better than Genny. But you know that... ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.