Friday, June 13, 2008

A Different Sort of Hockey Post

Didja know The Onion has a sports section? No? Well, neither did I…but they do. And here’s a sample of their writing:
LOS ANGELES—Sources within the Red Wings organization confirm that goalie Chris Osgood, who is currently engaged in accompanying the Stanley Cup on a victory tour of talk shows and publicity events, has repeatedly and insistently claimed to have gotten as far as third base with hockey's championship trophy during the past week.
On Tuesday night Osgood, teammate Nicklas Lidstrom, and the Stanley Cup made an appearance on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno during which Osgood was seen repeatedly touching and attempting to hold the Cup. Witnesses say that after the segment had taped, Lidstrom left for the airport, while Osgood and the Cup left together for the Four Seasons Hotel.
Housekeeping staff said Wednesday morning that the Cup's room had not been slept in.
You can read the rest here… “Chris Osgood Gets to Third Base with Stanley Cup.”
Heh. Just another “Kiss and Tell” piece...
Update: Forgot to give credit where credit is due for this post, and it's your Usual Hockey Suspects... the folks at Kukla's Korner. Where you'll also find stuff like this:
OK... that's a bit much, doncha think? I mean, I love my Wings...but wearing red tennies with a "2008 Stanley Cup Champions" logo?
I don't think so...

7 comments:

  1. OK, I read the article about the boy and the cup. I have to say it freaked me out a little.

    "Okay, now, I'm not saying there isn't—it's a powerful feeling, when you win the Cup, and sometimes that leads to other feelings that are just as powerful," Osgood continued.

    Um...alrighty then.

    Aw, come on, you know you want those red Reeboks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always amazes me how good the writing is at The Onion. I don't read it often enough.

    Go ahead. Get the sneaks. You're about as big a fan as there is. You deserve them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Onion always has that light sardonic spin on thing that always brings a smile, if not a good laugh. As for the article...kinda brings a new light on...wearing a Cup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just happy to see Ozzie getting lots of coverage, both straight and satirical. Organizations tend to be VERY straight-laced in this day and age, and it really surprised me to see an article... satirical or not... addressing the Cup in this manner. I doubt the folks at the Hockey Hall of Fame (the "keepers of the Cup") are amused, though.

    As for those red Reeboks? I really, really think they're "over the top." I could maybe see women hockey fans wearing a pair. But not me... I'm just a lil too conservative (who'd a thunk it?).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read an Onion piece about Peyton Manning a while back. It was great.

    The sneakers? Eh...Not even if they were Dallas Cowboys would I wear something like that. A hat or t-shirt, yea, but not shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The first pic made me laugh. Looks like they had a disagreement.

    The shoes are kind of nerdy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Becky sez: Eh...Not even if they were Dallas Cowboys would I wear something like that. A hat or t-shirt, yea, but not shoes.

    Eggs-zackly!

    And Yeah, Ash: Nerdy. But that should make me want 'em, though... ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.