Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Finding My Place

I’m obviously living in the wrong place, if you believe this:

(click for larger)

The article is slanted towards the younger demographic, however, and apparently has little or no value for us geezers who would be dating the (semi-) geriatric segment of the population. Then again, conventional wisdom (which ain’t always wrong) sez I should button up El Casa Móvil De Pennington and head out for Florida’s Gold Coast, or somewhere like it. Assuming mate-finding is Priority Number One, which it clearly isn’t, Gentle Reader.

I had to laugh just a lil bit over this, tho:

In Phoenix and the San Francisco Bay Area, single men outnumber single women by roughly 65,000.

[…]

Being in a place where the gender odds are stacked against you can be very frustrating. "When I was in Chicago, it was never long between dates" says one single male. "When I'm hanging out with friends [in the San Francisco Bay Area], often times in a large room with few if any women, we routinely turn to the topic of how the dating scene sucks."

My Best Bud, who was also my boss whilst I was living and working in the Bay Area, had NO sympathy at all when I began to whine about the lack of suitable “opportunities” available in the Bay Area dating world. He’d say something to the effect of “you’re a successful single straight male in a city where single straight males are at a premium. And you can’t find a date? Something’s wrong with you, My Friend…”

Well, yes and no. I didn’t lack for dates… there were many more than a few of same. My issue was finding someone suitable (read as: compatible), which gradually and relentlessly moved, over time, to one simple qualification: “not frickin’ crazy.” That proved to be a Fool’s Quest, however, given I was in the Bay Area. There were other issues, of course, not the least of which was my age. A good friend of mine once told me her roommate thought I “would be perfect if he (me) were 20 years younger.”

{sigh} She was a lil hottie, herownself. And what’s 30 years difference in age, give or take a decade, between friends?

―:☺:―

Today’s Pic: YrHmblScrb during the time period discussed above. Mind you, I lived in Berkeley at the time... so what you see is the relatively short-lived Berkeley persona. Which might have been yet another part of the problem, eh?

Berkeley, CA. February, 2001. I turned 56 the following month.

14 comments:

  1. I'm living on the wrong side of Tennessee too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to Honolulu! I will have to keep my eyes open. ;)

    Suitability is an issuer no matter what age you are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, now I know what my trouble is. I'm definitely living in the wrong place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad I don't have to worry about that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least Albuquerque has a small red dot instead of a great big blue one. How about hitting the balloon fest?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I almost did a post about the women who move to the Taos area from NY or CA. Taos has an over abundance of these women thinking they have moved to a safe area with no crime rate, no gangs, and lots of cowboys. Most of them are looking for inner peace from outer space. Santa Fe and Alb. get there share of these women too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mushy sez: I'm living on the wrong side of Tennessee too!

    Well, I wouldn't think this would matter to you, Mushy. What does Judy think? ;-)

    Ashley sez: I am going to Honolulu! I will have to keep my eyes open. ;)

    And you'll probably meet some guy from Poughkeepsie, looking for wahines... ;-)

    Becky sez: Well, now I know what my trouble is. I'm definitely living in the wrong place.

    That, and you're watching the wrong sport... or, NOT watching the more exciting, faster, and much more INTERESTING sport might be a better way to put it. ;-)

    Jenny sez: Glad I don't have to worry about that!

    Hmmm. TSMP used to say that, ALL the time. And then...

    Lin sez: At least Albuquerque has a small red dot instead of a great big blue one. How about hitting the balloon fest?

    Balloon Fiesta has been on The List for five years now! Maybe this year...

    Lou sez: Most of them are looking for inner peace from outer space.

    That is the BEST description of the general run of women I met in SFO I've ever seen. Or, put another way: wish I'd have said that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lots of blue bubblage in the Northeast. I should show that chart to MY WIFE if she ever gets it into her head that I'm not a catch :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, of course, I meant to say red bubblage. Ah, what the hell. I'm a catch for either sex.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Buck, I AM watching the more exciting, faster, definitely more interesting sport.

    Neilsen ratings:

    2007 Stanley Cup finals: 2.3
    2007 Superbowl: 42.8

    ReplyDelete
  11. Becky sez: Buck, I AM watching the more exciting, faster, definitely more interesting sport.

    Neilsen ratings:

    2007 Stanley Cup finals: 2.3
    2007 Superbowl: 42.8


    That simply tells me you're following the crowd, Becky. Or mob, as the case might be. And Hell, even I watched the Super-Duper Bowl this year. But then again, I usually watch the play-offs in any sport, so that's neither here nor there.

    Discerning individuals with GOOD TASTE are, and have always been, in the minority. "American Idol," "Survivor," and "Desperate Housewives" all have good Nielsens, too. You wouldn't catch me dead in front of a teevee playing 'em, tho.

    Just one more analogy, and then I'll go. By your logic I should be drinking Budweiser, rather than Fat Tire or Shiner. See above, re: "discerning" and "taste." ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Are you serious!? You have never been to the Balloon Fiesta!? Well, hopefully this will be your year. I've been 3 or 4 times, was even on a chase crew one year with a bunch of friends (getting up at 4am to sit in the back of a bouncing pickup and get my tailbone bruised sounded like fun at the time...). But it really is pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jenny sez: Are you serious!? You have never been to the Balloon Fiesta!?

    Nope. Finding a reasonable place to stay is the first issue, the fact that I absolutely HATE crowds (now days) is the second. I have seen one of the mass ascensions from a distance, however.

    Back when my father had his second major operation in his fight with cancer, TSMP and I took emergency leave (I was still in the AF) and drove like maniacs from Oklahoma City to SoCal and back. We dropped down into ABQ very early one morning on our way home after driving all night... just in time to see the ascension. TSMP and I debated deviating from our itinerary for a few hours but we didn't. I had to be at work the next day and we were both exhausted, physically and emotionally. But it certainly WAS a sight!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was interesting. I do find it odd that the NY metro area has way more women in comparison to the rest of the northeast where it seems to be more equitable, or with more men.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.