Monday, March 03, 2008

They Call the Wind Mariah... and Other Unmentionable Names, Too.

Today is A Soldier’s Wife’s birthday. She’s been having a tough go of it of late, so why don’t you drop by and wish her A Happy, Gentle Reader… and give her a hug, while you’re at it. I know she’ll appreciate it.

―:☺:―

Today’s Pics: Wow! We had ourselves a wild, wild night last evening!! Big-time wind… of a sort that’s rare… even for The High Plains of New Mexico. I swear to The Deity that the wind was over 70 mph last evening…but it wasn’t, if one believes The WX Channel…which said we were experiencing steady wind of 37 mph, with gusts up to 50 mph… but no more than that. I think they lie, myself. We were most certainly rockin’ and rollin’ last night…and it was cold and snowy, too. In short: it wasn’t fit for man or beast outside last evening.

Last night’s storm left a little detritus lying around today. Once again, I was lucky. This tree would have made life just a little bit inconvenient had it smacked the Green Hornet or El Casa Móvil De Pennington when it fell last night. This is twice in the space of six or seven months that I’ve dodged a bullet dead tree, but I think we’re done now. If the wind gets high enough to take down the large tree that overhangs El Casa Móvil, chances are I won’t know about it…coz I’ll already be in the next county. Or Texas… depending.

Back in a bit. Yet another late night and later morning. This is getting to be a habit... and not one I’m comfortable with, Gentle Reader.

9 comments:

  1. Your windy night has made its way all the way to Ohio and we are now getting drops of rain. It is 65 here and all the snow that was on the ground disappeared. The actual cold front that will also bring us our wind has yet to arrive but I suspect it will get here with gusto.

    Glad you all escaped the tree trunk part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did't know that there were more than two trees in Portales. We had the same gusty winds. It was a wild night with winds, rain and a little hail. We have lieing weathermen too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've got those winds here now, and a tornado watch thrown in for good measure.

    I'm glad the tree didn't smack your or the Hornet. That reminds me, I probably ought to go move Jimmy...

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are supposed to get high winds and rain tonight. I wonder if its the same storm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to know nothing was damaged. The wind blew here in OK too. Like Lou said it was a wild night.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Went and made the birthday wish.

    Scary how nature can just suddenly hit you with something nasty, isn't it? But, as you say, you lucked out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Does the wind ever stop blowing out that way? I remember it seldom did when I was stationed in Amarillo or when I lived in Dodge City. And every time I would trek across I-40 in an RV the head wind was always hitting me hard.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Abe sez: Your windy night has made its way all the way to Ohio...

    That's usually the case, Abe...given the way the jet stream usually works. But sometimes it isn't the case...at which time my Buddy Dan in Florida gets our weather, a day or two later.

    Lou sez: I did't know that there were more than two trees in Portales.

    Oh, there's LOTSA trees IN P-Ville. Not so many outside of P-Ville, though! ;-)

    Becky sez: We've got those winds here now, and a tornado watch thrown in for good measure.

    Yep... I saw that... and held my breath for ya, too, Becky (metaphorically speaking)!!

    Dan sez: I wonder if its the same storm.

    It was, according to the WX Channel...

    Ashley sez: Like Lou said it was a wild night.

    If your night was like mine, Ashley ... it was wild, indeed!!

    Jim sez: Went and made the birthday wish.

    Thanks, for that, Jim. ASW has been having a bad run of late, as I'm sure you noticed. Good on ya!

    Pat sez: Does the wind ever stop blowing out that way?

    Hardly ever. A calm day on The High Plains of NM is a rare and wonderful thing!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Buck. We passed the night with nary a scratch, just a lot of rain and some wind. There was a bit of debris around the yard this AM, but nothing major.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.