Saturday, February 02, 2008

Puzzlements

There’s at least one thing that has puzzled me (ed: only one?) about the GOP primaries: McCain seems to have many, many more endorsements than Romney, particularly from GOP governors (there’s no equivalent list on Romney’s site: I looked. And Romney’ site is sloooow.). The Politico has one opinion on why that is. Excerpt:

As chairman of the Republican Governors Association in 2006, Mitt Romney crisscrossed the country to elect GOP governors and broke the group’s fundraising record by hauling in $20 million.

Yet just two of the 16 governors he worked to elect then are supporting his presidential bid.

In fact, just three of the nation’s 22 Republican governors have endorsed him.

[…]

One reason, said a Republican consultant familiar with the thinking behind some of the governors’ decisions, is that Romney rubbed some governors the wrong way during his tenure at the RGA.

“Everything seemed to have strings attached to it,” the consultant said. “If they were going to make a donation, they wanted a quid pro quo like an endorsement or a donor list or a volunteer program. There’s no interest like self-interest in politics. So when [governors] think their political lives are in a do-or-die situation, that’s not the time to offer help with strings attached.”

The article contains counter-points to the points enumerated above. But Romney’s relative lack of endorsements from his fellow governors should be a warning of some sort to Republican voters. Or at the very least, something to think about.

A small note: Add about a buck and a half to any given endorsement and you can buy a cup of coffee nearly anywhere, including Starbucks. In other words, most folks don’t give two hoots about which poohbah likes which candidate. But… IF you checked the link to McCain’s endorsements, and IF you scrolled down that list, you may have noticed this lil line item:

Colonel Bud Day, MOH USAF (ret), Florida

That endorsement, Gentle Reader, cuts some serious ice with me. Col. Day is one of my biggest real-life heroes and I respect his judgment. Read why here.

―:☺:―

A Bleg, Gentle Reader, but not of the monetary kind… I occasionally chase up Site Meter hits to various EIP posts if the search term used doesn’t exactly ring a bell for me. In so doing I’ve noticed all the pics (seemingly) I put up on a third-party hosting site have gone missing from the blog. I first discovered this phenomenon when I linked the “When I was Eight” series in a comment. Today it was this post (which has been fixed).

Sooo… here’s the bleg. IF you happen to read something, anything in the archives (ha!) and IF you encounter broken images or images that do not display in a particular post, would you please let me know? All you need to do is give me the date and post title. I’ll fix it promptly.

Thanks.

―:☺:―

OK… I know all y’all have seen this, coz just about every milblog under the sun and moon has posted on it. I’m not in the habit of piling on, in the sense of writing about stuff others have written about and who most likely have done a much better job of the writing, as well. Which is all too true in this particular case. What could I possibly add to this story of moonbat madness?

Well, maybe this. I’m here to tell ya, Gentle Reader, Berkeley is every bit as nutty as you’ve read… and then some. As most of all y’all know, I lived in Berkeley during my first year in SFO. I’m probably lucky to have escaped Berkeley unscathed, especially since I was in the habit of wearing one of my more…umm… blatant military tee shirts when I went browsing the record stores (which are among this country's VERY best) and hanging out in the coffee shops, better dive bars, sushi joints, and the like on the week-ends. Shirts like this one:

And of course... my ol’ BUFF shirt, which is long gone. But it was similar to this one, except for the verbiage, which was limited to a simple “B U F F” on the top of the shirt and “Boeing B-52” on the bottom. But the ‘bats got the message. Oh, yes. They certainly did. My tee shirts had a habit of initiating spirited conversation... and that's putting it a bit mildly.

It seems like Berkeley has upped the moonbat ante of late, though. Which isn’t surprising at all to this former resident.

I know there's such a thing as secession, and I don’t think many of us would object if Berkeley were to secede from the Union. We’ll need to rescue the engineering and computer science departments at UC Berkeley first, though. They do good work there.

Update 2/02/2008 1800 hrs: From Zombie, one of the very few sane folks in the Bay Area, an Oldie but a Goodie: photos... taken at the "How Berkeley Can You Be?" parade in Berkeley on Sunday, September 19, 2004. CAUTION: This being Berkeley, there is some full-frontal nudity of the non-erotic type, including an example of a micro-phallus. I'll pass on the "suspicions confirmed" sort of snark. Oops. Too late.

(h/t: Wretchard)

9 comments:

  1. I'm personally a big fan of the patch that was up over at Danger Room when they were having their most ridiculous military patch competition...it was from a USAF missile crew, and it was a picture of the grim reaper wearing bunny slippers with mushroom clouds going off in the background. The caption was "Death wears bunny slippers."

    The joke being that once the crews were down in the silos the uniforms came off and the pajama pants and bunny slippers came on, making it extremely likely that if the big red button ever got pushed, it would be done by someone in pajamas wearing bunny slippers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an interesting story, Mike, and I do NOT doubt it. At all.

    I never knew any missileers in my time, but I saw many, many more than a few of 'em. And they had (and have) my sympathy. Living out the first few years of one's career... like ten... in a hole in the ground just can't be much fun, especially considering where those holes in the ground tend to be. Only bubbleheads have it worse, duty-wise, IM(NS)HO.

    About those "holes in the ground:" we used to say if North Dakota seceded from the Union they would become the world's third largest nuclear power overnight. Can't find a cite for that, but once again: I don't doubt it's true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, that Berkeley smuggy parade tour didn't do a thing for my blood pressure. Tell me, are they on the ocean side if the San Andeas fault? And, if so, is there any way enough of us could gather on the fault line with enough cherry bombs to maybe launch 'em out to sea? Just thinking out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As long as we're selectively evacuating Berkeley, let's bring Chez Panisse with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read through your posts last night, but I was a bit brain-dead and may still be this morning. My first thought was, "Our Buck wore t-shirts that caused people to want to argue? Can it be?"

    Thanks for the nudity warning on the parade photos - gross. So why did I look anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, I've got two favorite stories about the missile bases. The first involves F.E. Warren. When my scout troop was driving up to do some backpacking in the Yellowstone region, we stayed at the scout hut at F.E. Warren. On the way into the base, we noticed a sign at the front gate that contained days since last DUI. The sign was at 4 or 5...something pretty low considering I have seen bases with signs like that which number close to 100. When we left, the next day, the sign was back to 0.

    The other is a little more involved and comes from a forum I frequent, so just follow this link. The Airman Sucro stuff is funny, but check out the Airman Destructor from Malmstrom stuff on the second page, which continues on to the third. I'd tell you my favorite story, but I can't pick one. I'll just say that they involve him "adopting" a badger, getting more than one Humvee stuck, hitting on a farmer's daughter, getting the cops called on him after he attempted to occupy a barn, and shouting "Jesus Christ look at all the snakes!" during a safety briefing.

    He definitely earned his nickname.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lin sez: Well, that Berkeley smuggy parade tour didn't do a thing for my blood pressure.

    My former neighbors, yanno? Berkeley is on or quite near more than a few fault lines, so I'm kinda-sorta amazed it hasn't been set adrift already.

    Barry: Never ate there, but the menu sure looks good!

    Lou sez: "Our Buck wore t-shirts that caused people to want to argue? Can it be?"

    Just once in a while, Lou. ;-)

    Thanks for the link, Mike...that was pretty funny! I never knew anyone like that, thankfully. A few guys with loose screws and the like, but no real Gomer Pyles...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha, yeah, I'll be honest...I'm a little scared that there are people like that out there in the Air Force. I have to say though, I think my favorite part was the plaque they gave Amn Destructor or the fact that his CO, Ops Officer, and shirt all drove him to the airport to see him off.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Um, I need a brillo pad for my short term memory.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.