Saturday, February 09, 2008

Around The Horn

Via Blog-Bud Barry… “Nectar of the demigods: B-list-celebrity-endorsed foodstuffs.” I went through the list and was surprised to find I’ve consumed more than one of these items. And no, Paul Newman’s stuff ain’t here, coz Newman is anything but a B-List kinda guy. (Full disclosure: there are three bottles of Paul Newman’s salad dressings in my cupboard, and one bottle of his Sockarooni spaghetti sauce, which just happens to be the best store-bought sauce there is.)

Back to the subject at hand… This seems right up my alley:

Sammy Hagar Cabo Wabo tequila

He's every Van Halen fan's second choice for lead singer, but Sammy Hagar doesn't need to slog it out on the road any more—in a way, he's getting the last laugh. His VH partners invested in his Mexican bar way back when, but when it faltered, he bought them out. Fast forward a few years, and Sammy's got an incredibly successful tequila—Cabo Wabo—to go along with his place. Last year, he sold an 80 percent stake to Campari, and presumably got even more stinkin' rich. In a related note, former VH bassist Michael Anthony has his own line of hot sauces.

Level of celebrity: Unusual. Drinkers still love him, but a VH tour with Sammy wouldn't generate nearly the excitement that last year's David Lee Roth-led tour did.

Appropriateness of product to celebrity: Hagar and tequila go together like Roth and Van Halen, which is to say very well.

Likelihood of consumption by non-fans: Drink enough, and you'll be a fan.

Marketing hyperbole: Sammy pimps like a madman for Cabo Wabo. Bikini chicks onstage with his band, the Waboritas, serving tequila? Oh yeah, he's got that.

Buy it at: Many liquor stores.

I think I’d try a shot or two in a bar before I laid any money on the table. I tend to be rather very picky about my likker.

―:☺:―

Another pick-up… this time from Jeff, aka FHB. Is this Morgan, unmasked? (You gotta stick with it to the very end to get the reference.)

Nah. I forgot. Morgan is in Kallie-forhn-eee-ya, not Tennessee. Unless it’s umm… maskirovka on a grand scale. Could be. That beard looks sorta fake.

―:☺:―

This concerns me just a wee bit:

I know the risks of an “always on” network connection…my previous 384Kb connection was also of the “always on” variety. But I seem to be getting a lot more intrusion attempts ever since the fiber connection came through. It could very well be coincidence, and I suspect it is. But that doesn’t lessen the pain of re-booting an XP system a couple of times a day just to ensure you’re rid of various and sundry Trojans and such.

There’s a VERY special place in Hell for the folks that write this malevolent crap. Too bad we can’t send more of these folks to The Big House. Hell may be eternal, but Bubba is immediate and often. And the sort of punishment I have in mind, informal though it might be, would be just.

Just sayin’, ya know.

9 comments:

  1. I hope Mike's hot sauces are doing well... VH dumped him for Wolfgang, Eddie's son.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only have I not eaten any of them, I've never even heard of most of them. The Mike Ditka pork chops looked mighty good, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I have any celebrity foods in my house unless you count Bush Beans. The video was a bit freaky. I was sitting here watching it when Toby stepped into the room wearing his overalls today and said, "What the hell are you listening to?" He sounded just like the video!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's all good...buy it!

    Love the clip...that is FHB on the left!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have celebrity salad dressing too.

    P.S. I started a blog!
    P.S.S. The deleted comment was mine. Typo

    -Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't tell for sure from your Norton screenshot; you may already be doing this. But: If you want to really scare yourself, start running a local firewall (and monitoring the intrusion attempts).

    We switched completely to the much-more-secure Mac OS X platform last year, but I ran Windows XP systems from 2002-2007.

    I have a level of paranoia about things like security and backups that comes from 20+ years in the IT business, and I was constantly amazed by the level of activity that my antivirus, antispyware and firewall programs were reporting.

    I'll spare you the standard Mac Guy rant about security here. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Barry said: Can't tell for sure from your Norton screenshot; you may already be doing this. But: If you want to really scare yourself, start running a local firewall (and monitoring the intrusion attempts).

    I do and it does. Norton is "kind" enough to let you know when the firewall has blocked an intrusion attempt...several times an hour, sometimes.

    Ashley: I'm looking forward to the pics!

    Lou sez: Toby stepped into the room wearing his overalls today and said, "What the hell are you listening to?" He sounded just like the video!

    But did he LOOK like those guys? ;-)

    Mushy sez: ...that is FHB on the left!

    Really? You're joking, right?

    Becky: Concur on the chops. I always used to get the butcher to cut chops like that for me, back when I actually cooked. I don't bother these days...

    Sam: Didn't know that. But then again, I don't keep up like I used to...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was rather fond of the Hagar/VH era. I like Roth in a crazy sorta way, but Hagar was best with the ballads. Guess it just depends on my mood if I want Hagar or Roth.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.