Monday, January 07, 2008

Huckabee? Huckabee.

There’s a whole boatload of opinion on Mike Huckabee today… not the least of which is Bill Kristol’s opening editorial effort in today’s NYT. Excerpts:

Now it’s true that many conservatives have serious doubts about Huckabee’s positions, especially on foreign policy, and his record, particularly on taxes. The conservative establishment is strikingly hostile to Huckabee — for both good and bad reasons. But voters seem to be enjoying making up their own minds this year. And Huckabee is a talented politician.

[…]

In general, here in New Hampshire he’s emphasized social issues far less than in Iowa (though he doesn’t waffle when asked about them). Instead he’s stressed conservative economic themes, seamlessly (if somewhat inconsistently) weaving together a pitch for limited government with a message that government needs to do more to address the concerns of the struggling middle class. This latter point seems to be resonating, as headlines in local papers announce an increase in the national unemployment rate amid speculation about a coming recession.

The point made in the second paragraph above needs to be emphasized. Huckabee is playing good cop to Edwards’ bad cop when it comes to economic populism, and I believe the message is working. It’s an unfortunate but true fact-o’-life that Americans…especially the middle class (thank you, Lou Dobbs, you asshat, you)… are uneasy and fearful about the economy. Edwards, on the one hand, rails against “corporations” and “corporate greed” and proposes draconian solutions that amount to not much more than “get the bastards,” primarily through punitive taxation. I, for one, am not surprised Edwards' message resonates with the union types, as the us-vs.-them mindset has always prevailed in that milieu. The message seems to be expanding into other areas of America, as well, and more's the pity.

Huckabee, OTOH, reminded the GOP this past Saturday evening (and again last night) that one of the party’s largest constituencies has always been the small business owner, and that group of folks is feeling put-upon. No other GOP candidate (with the exception of Ron Paul) seems to notice…and I think this is one of Huckabee’s strongest points. His emphasis on the core values of the GOP…small government (e.g., less regulation, less bureaucracy, cut corporate taxes, eliminate the “death tax”) and radically reforming the very tax structure of the United States (e.g., abolish the IRS and implement the Fair Tax) should appeal to the middle class. Personally I’m surprised at the dearth of press on Huckabee’s support for the Fair Tax. I’ve heard at least one pundit describe Huckabee’s support of the Fair Tax as “the only ‘Big Idea’ coming from the Right.” But that’s about it… (Insert my usual parenthetical comment about Ron Paul here. But I said “Big,” not “wacky.”)

But let’s continue with the outpouring of Huck-a-words… Power Line’s post is simply an extensive quote from Mark Falcoff, a resident scholar emeritus at the American Enterprise Institute and Romney campaign advisor. Excerpt:

If Huckabee goes on to win more primaries he will have a reasonable claim to the nomination. He may, of course, lose New Hampshire, New York, California and Michigan. But let’s suppose that he manages to win enough primaries in the southern and border states to make the results in those three states irrelevant. It’s all a question of numbers. In spite of itself, the party might end up with him as its nominee, and with it, heading down the shortest road to disaster since the Goldwater debacle of 1964.

Make no mistake about it: an electoral defeat of these dimensions would represent a major watershed in the history of the Republican party. It would be faced with only two possible roads forward. One is to become the party of the religious right, a sectarian agglomeration somewhat like the small ethnic parties in inter-war Europe, perhaps capable of holding some governorships and seats in Congress but never again competitive in a presidential election. The other would be to cut itself free from the religious right and seek to appeal to the wide and growing tranche of independent voters who are socially liberal but economically conservative. In that case the Republican party would gradually resemble some of the “liberal” (that is, conservative) parties who periodically win national elections in Western Europe or Canada. These parties are friendly to market-based solutions to economic problems—that is, they are broadly libertarian.

This line of thought seems to be prevalent amongst the GOP establishment, and is echoed in a column by Stuart Rothenberg at Real Clear Politics. To cut to the chase: Rothenberg sees an Obama blow-out if the eventual match-up is Huckabee-Obama. And I’m somewhat sympathetic to that argument. There are a LOT of Americans who are uncomfortable with the religious-right, if not outright hostile to them. Huckabee’s association with that element of the electorate, and the fact he is a Baptist minister, is an insurmountable negative in those people’s eyes… right, wrong, or indifferent. (see today’s memeorandum for much more on Huckabee)

So. I’ll admit to being impressed with Huckabee’s performance in FNC’s GOP presidential forum last night. My favorable impression has much more to do with Huckabee’s directness in his answers compared to the other participants. While it’s true Huckabee did his share of tap-dancing, especially when Romney tried to corner him on the overall effect of his tax policies while governor of Arkansas, he was much more straightforward than the others. My Boy provided the most strident example of evasiveness when he launched into an extensive summary of his tax cutting record as mayor of NYC when Wallace simply asked him if he supported the Fair Tax. McCain, Romney, and Thompson were no less evasive on all too many other occasions. YMMV (most certainly), Gentle Reader, but that's my take.

I like Huckabee. I just wish he were an accountant, or a retired general, or a CEO. That preacher thing is a BIG problem.

Oh. In case you’re wondering… I’m not switching my allegiance. Yet. But I’m much less than impressed with the field than I was last week, lemmee tell ya.

In other “Don’t Miss THIS” news, John Hawkins has posted his annual “The Twenty Most Annoying Liberals in the US” for 2007. With supporting video! I think we need to modify the ol’ saw about a picture being worth a thousand words. If that’s true about a pic, then what’s an incriminating, you-see-‘em-actually-SAY-it video worth? I’m thinking Master Card here… “priceless.”

Go have a look.

6 comments:

  1. I have come to the conclusion that Osama Obama Hussain may indeed be the Anti-Christ in waiting....the guy is a first class hidden " Who am I and Where do I really stand?"(hence the I am black thing, when in reality he is of mixed ancestory, and raised by white grandparents)...he is winning with smoke and mirrors....he has a following of young people with skulls full of mush....sounds harsh doens't it?

    With the Democratic primary it youth vs the old school...Hillary looks like a worn out old tired hag...she is done, unless the Clintons can eliminate the competition like they used to do their old "Friends"....

    As for the GOP, like I said on my blog....I can't vote for "The Huckster" or Ron Paul.....I'm to far right on social issues to vote for Rudy...McCain and his association with the Kennedy and Finegold bunch is too much for me.....my guys...Tancredo, Hunter, and probably Thompson are done or fading.....I may pull the switch for Mitt.....or like many true Conservatives, I may not vote, or vote 3rd party......

    I fear for my kids and any kids they produce if a weak willed leftist like Obama gets in....but with the economy 9 trillion in debt, we may have more than who gets elected to worry about.

    Sorry for the long winded comment Buck....but a true political junkie would understand...;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. pat houseworth:

    Love your post!

    I am so encouraged when I find people out here on the net who are watching the political scene, and who are thinking things through and not letting the media TELL them what is what.

    I agree with you on Barack Hussein Obama, and also with your views on Hillary. I also cannot vote for Huckabee, Ron Paul, Thompson or McCain.(I've never been in a position of disliking SO many of the candidates). I am still undecided between Mayor Giuliani and Gov. Romney.

    I just cannot imagine sitting out a presidential election, so I hope our party will come up with a candidate we can support.

    Obama is very scary to me.

    Buck ~~ Sorry ... didn't mean to hijack your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huckabee is the second coming of Jimmy Carter. A nice enough guy who's too naive and who is going to get into the office and be completely overwhelmed. He scares the crap out of me. About the only saving grace is that he's Christian enough he won't get elected. Foreign relations is obviously the biggest issue with me (unlike most of the rest of the electorate it seems) and I have to say, after reading Huckabee's piece in Foreign Affairs I was not impressed.

    I don't so much care about Huckabee's profession as I do the fact that his faith plays such a large role in his politics. I just can't be comfortable with anyone who relates any political question in any way back to religious faith, of any sort. The same thing bothers me about Obama, as well. Although I suppose if that bothers me so much, I should move somewhere else where "God bless America" isn't the required ending to any political speech, somewhere else being pretty much anywhere else.

    Faith and politics in America...definitely a unique combination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Huckabee is not a problem for me other than his lack of experience or as Mike put it his "second coming of Jimmy Carter". Why are people worried about his being a Baptist preacher - all it takes is the vote of a few deacons and you can be a preacher. Are people afraid he actually means what he says - a man of integrity? Gosh that is unusual. For me, the others are much scarier because they say one thing, but will not actually take a stand on anything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know, and everyone should know, that a politician can promise anything, and does, but can't do anything unless he has the support of Congress. I don't think any of the candidates will get a majority in Congress unless it is Obama. And I don't think the registered and independent voters will allow him to have a majority either. So it is a system that surely is in need of an overhaul.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pat sez: ...or like many true Conservatives, I may not vote, or vote 3rd party......

    Like Sharon, I cannot imagine sitting out an election, presidential or not. One could make a case that frickin' Pelosi is Speaker of the House and Reid is the the Senate's Majority Leader because conservatives decided to "sit this one out." Way t' go and thanks a LOT. (/sarcasm) I get seriously irritated when I read stuff like this.

    Re: "long winded comments" and hijacking the blog... not! One of the main reasons I do this blogging thing is for the conversations in comments. So comment away...Blogger doesn't have any length limits on comments, and neither do I.

    Mike said: ...Carter... (and) I just can't be comfortable with anyone who relates any political question in any way back to religious faith, of any sort.

    That pretty much sums up my feelings, as well. There is way too much historical precedent (not much recently, though) of bad things happening when one mixes/blurs/merges religion and government. America is interesting in that we demand evidence of faith in our politicians yet slap them down, hard, when they wear their faith on their sleeve(s). JFK and Reagan are my role models where religion and politics are concerned. Both were religious, neither man was fanatic about it.

    I've made this embarrassing confession before: I voted for Carter. That act was the "last gasp" of my wrong-headed Lefty days. In my defense, he was a USNA grad and a nuke engineer, too. (Maybe that's why I still cast a jaundiced eye towards Canoe U.) I'm not sure the Carter/Huckabee "peas in a pod" analogy works, but it's uncomfortably close.

    I should move somewhere else where "God bless America" isn't the required ending to any political speech, somewhere else being pretty much anywhere else.

    With the exception of the Muslim world, of course.

    Lou: On the preacher thing...see above. ;-)

    Abe said: I don't think any of the candidates will get a majority in Congress unless it is Obama.

    I fear... with good cause... that we'll have a Democratic government come next year....House, Senate, and President. The Republic has survived calamities like this before and we'll more than likely survive yet another. But the thing that strikes the MOST fear in my heart is a Supreme Court filled with Ginsburgs rather than Scalias. The composition of the Supreme Court, while not forever, certainly lasts a looong time. And this lil fact is the primary reason NO ONE should "sit out" an election. Especially this election.

    /soap box.

    ReplyDelete

Just be polite... that's all I ask.